Multiple, Equal, Capacitors in Series

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plzNOCarribbean

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so just a quick question. I just want to make sure I have this down right;

If, say, hypothetically you have three CAPACITORS in SERIES( C1=2 uF C2=6 uF C3=3uF), does this mean that the overall Capacitance of the 3 will be LESS THAN the capacitor with the largest capacitance or the smallest capacitance of the 3???

2)Also, since they are in series, will the charge on each plate be the SAME?? even though one of the three may have a larger capacitance than the others; since even though the capacitance of C2 is larger than C1, only the amount of charge that was on C1 will be able to push the same amount of charge onto C2 so that C2 can store it???

3) the voltage drops across each of the capacitors should SUM up to the V of the battery right? whereas for parallel combinations, the voltage drops are the same (like resistors in parallel)

sorry I tried to be as clear as possible. Thank you in advance to anyone who can clarify this. I got resistors down but i am having trouble with capacitors.

Members don't see this ad.

1. The smallest capacitance. Mathematically, it has to be. Another way of thinking is that whenever you add a capacitor in series, the capacitance must be less than the original capacitance.

2. Yes, the charge will be the same. That is the definition of being in series.

3. Yes.