multiple mcat scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No clue there!

I agree but choosing 7 as the capping number is odd. What's unique about 7?

Members don't see this ad.

Are old and new MCAT scores averaged together the same way?

I scored a 27 (10/9/8)on the old MCAT and scored a 517 (130/126/130/131) on the new MCAT a year and a half later.

Members don't see this ad :)
What would YOU conclude about an applicant who voided 6x exams?????

It's also interesting that 7 attempts include voids and no-shows. So if i void the first 6 attempts, the 7th truly becomes a one-shot deal

We're using percentiles for the time being.
Are old and new MCAT scores averaged together the same way?

I scored a 27 (10/9/8)on the old MCAT and scored a 517 (130/126/130/131) on the new MCAT a year and a half later.

Reactions: 1 users
It's a gray area but yes. 517 = 35 according to percentiles. The average = 31.

Thats a shame. Hopefully some schools will see how much dedication and effort I put into the year following my first MCAT score and see that as a positive in some ways.

Thats a shame. Hopefully some schools will see how much dedication and effort I put into the year following my first MCAT score and see that as a positive in some ways.

2 scores is a gray area, especially with a 1.5 year time difference, which is long enough to show that you have improved a lot and the first attempt was probably a fluke. It's probably better to position yourself in the 31-35 category (closer to 35 than 31) than just a 31

What would YOU conclude about an applicant who voided 6x exams?????

I thought adcoms can't see voided attempts even though they're recorded by AAMC?

2 scores is a gray area, especially with a 1.5 year time difference, which is long enough to show that you have improved a lot and the first attempt was probably a fluke. It's probably better to position yourself in the 31-35 category (closer to 35 than 31) than just a 31

I thought adcoms can't see voided attempts even though they're recorded by AAMC?

Thats good to hear. Thank you.

I might be wrong, but my understanding is that now we can see voided scores. Wise @gonnif, what say you?
This is my extremely uninformed position, but I am almost certain that the point of voiding was so that the score couldn't be seen because the test wasn't even graded.

It can be seen if a school wants to see it and go through the AAMC Score Report separately . However, that takes extra effort and with as many applications as schools get, there isn't much incentive to do things that take extra effort unless it's truly necessayr and there is a strong reason for a specific applicant to look up their MCAT history to check for voided attempts.