My Blog

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neuronix

Total nerd
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My blog:

http://drslounge.studentdoctor.net/blog.php?u=11308

Please comment on the writing of my first three entires :) I don't want any praise for the idea that I've overcome something, but I want to know if it's interesting/readable/insightful, that sort of thing. I hope to update it with more of my rantings, so you see where I'm coming from on many issues, rather than me being viewed as simply the mad moderator of Philadelphia :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

My blog:

Please comment on the writing of my first three entires :) I don't want any praise for the idea that I've overcome something, but I want to know if it's interesting/readable/insightful, that sort of thing. I hope to update it with more of my rantings, so you see where I'm coming from on many issues, rather than me being viewed as simply the mad moderator of Philadelphia :laugh:
Um, Neuro, I think you have to unmoderate your posts if you want people to be able to see them.

Members don't see this ad :)
My blog:

Interesting, yes. Readable, yes. Insightful, I don't know how to answer that. You're certainly self-reflective. I guess I feel like I know you better than I know any other person whom I've never met. :p

Insightful, I don't know how to answer that.

Yeah I don't even try to flesh out the insights that might be there. I just wanted a backdrop for the more MD/PhD related stuff to come...

Which for those of you who have been paying attention to what I write probably won't be much new :p Maybe a best of Neuronix series?

I dislike the tone. But the content was a complete shock. Not only that you would feel comfortable speaking freely about such painful things before a stranger (which is not necessarily a bad thing, but rarely seen), but it made me realize what a pathetic self-pitying idiot I've been recently when others have had it very much harder. And I wept when I read about your mother and father. Thank you, Neuronix.

(Perhaps you should write something a bit more substantial, and from a 3rd person perspective, on your life. I know it would involve a lot of work, but it would be a welcome respite from your PhD worries.)

I dislike the tone.

Why? I want to be as readable as possible. There are people who write mundane things and make them incredibly readable. Then there are people who write about interesting things until I fall asleep reading them. But, there are people who do both. That's who I want to be.

but it made me realize what a pathetic self-pitying idiot I've been recently when others have had it very much harder. And I wept when I read about your mother and father. Thank you, Neuronix.

It's ok, I can be a pathetic self-pitying idiot too. The failures in my relationships and the PhD issues bother me far more than my past, but they seem somehow common and humdrum. It's easy to let go of things when you had no control over them.

(Perhaps you should write something a bit more substantial, and from a 3rd person perspective, on your life. I know it would involve a lot of work, but it would be a welcome respite from your PhD worries.)

Oh I'd love to. But not just about me. My family is a bunch of nutjobs that deserve half the book. It hurts me to watch them screw up their own children until they grow up to be the next generation of the mentally ill. Do they not realize what they're doing? Too self-absorbed I guess. When I disappear to asia for a year a book will be one thing I'm working on.

Thank you, Neuronix. That was inspiring. You really made me appreciate my own loving and supporting family.

I'm shadowing a doctor at a county psychiatric hospital right now, and I couldn't believe how many similar stories I've heard from patients here. Women getting bumped around from the streets to abusive relationships, alcohol, pill dependency, schizophrenia, auditory hallucinations, paranoid delusions, mood disorders, depression, murder ("the voices told my to do it"), hyper-religiosity... The list goes on.

Definitely helps you put your life into perspective. Probably the most eye-opening experience I've ever had. Sometimes, the doctors just have to laugh at their own patients to keep from going a little nuts from empathy.

I'm shadowing a doctor at a county psychiatric hospital right now, and I couldn't believe how many similar stories I've heard from patients here. Women getting bumped around from the streets to abusive relationships, alcohol, pill dependency, schizophrenia, auditory hallucinations, paranoid delusions, mood disorders, depression, murder ("the voices told my to do it"), hyper-religiosity... The list goes on.

There are some who are so ill they can't do anything. These are the types who spend much of their lives in a psych ward. I have a second cousin like this. The last time she was let out a few years ago she stopped taking her meds, convinced herself she could fly, and jumped out a third story window. She broke a leg and got her pass to the outside world revoked. These are the people I can't help but feel anything but really sad for and I wish every day we could fix them. Modern psych meds, as bemoaned as they are, have done a lot for many of these patients and those who aren't quite that ill, but there are still many who are so untouchable by a dopamine receptor tweaker that they'll never recognize the light of sunshine even if it hit them in the head through the window. I blame it on evolution. Large quadrupeds don't get ischemic strokes almost ever because they have well collatoralized brain circulations. Our brains are so complicated and in so many ways it seems left up to chance that 1% of the time, around the world, we just screw it up.

But, now that I say that and I don't look like a heartless freak, mom screwed her own life. Her mother was schizotypal and she had my grandfather to look after her. She had it all, strange delusions and behavior, paranoia, and you see how it ended up... AD. But she had my grandfather to look after her. Mom abuses every source of help she's ever had. She treated my father and me horribly. After their divorce she will only go out with abusive alcoholics. Except for the third marriage who was a decent guy but she abused him as well. I saw some of it first hand. I can't blame the guy for leaving. Everytime she's in a stable living situation she screws it up. Every job she has she picks fights with people until she's fired or just stops showing up. Is this out of her control? The fact that she can act normal when she tries is evidence that it's not. But whenever she screws up the response is "I'm sick!" It's a crutch. I've had plenty of experience with the bums she hangs out with. It's why I don't hand quarters to people on the street. It really is for booze.

When I was on psychiatry rotation I wanted to honor. I felt like I deserved it. I mean my father and step-mom met in the psych ward. I never mentioned that little bit. You see my step-mom was sexually assaulted at random in my hometown. My dad on the other hand was just depressed from staring death in the face one too many times. He has been coded on at least 3 occasions he knows of. But, I just couldn't handle some of the stories of the patients at times. I knew they were BS, because I have almost as much experience with the system as they do at this point, and I would call them on it. That REALLY pisses them off. Like many of my rotations I got along better with the staff than the attendings, the Ivy Tower liberals that they are who just seriously don't know any better and found me to be the oddest and most difficult med student they'd ever seen. Fortunately, I had one of the greatest residents I've ever seen on that service.

So that's the kind of questions that roll around in my mind all the time when it comes to psychiatry. Personal responsibility vs. disease. How much of this is self-inflicted? I'm sure it kicks around in the mind of every headshrinker, including this amateur.

I am sorry for your tough life. I guess that we as humans never appreciate how good we have it, until we hear about someone having a worse life than us. I am happy that you are such a strong individual who single-handedly turned your life around. If anyone deserves the best, its you. Thanks for everything, especially this forum. It is one of the few things that is a great motivation for keeping my MD/PhD dreams alive. Thanks once again and you should write a book. I am sure, it will be a NY Times Bestseller.

Members don't see this ad :)
My blog:

It's so refreshing, I love it. After all, we're no bigger than our pasts. And we are not a list of accomplishments and degrees, as nicely as that could hide all the dysfunction. All I could think of after reading it was "thank God that guy was smart!!"

Oh yeah, and pray do tell, exactly how long does this degree take, anyway?

very good. as a first year, some of the roadblocks and frustrations you mention give me some pause, but, all the same, i'm glad to know they have navigated by others. i get the impression that, in medicine, having a life is the concern that dare not speak its name, and i hope to god this changes soon. also, have you ever read "sex drugs and dna"? the first chapter "a scientist's life" deals with some of the life issues you mention.

In this thread of shameless self-promotion, I just posted a new entry and I'm happy to read your feedback.
You sound happy, Neuro, and I'm glad.

I think it's interesting that you chose 35 as the age that you didn't want to be when you would find out that you had missed life. I will be 35 next year, and it has never struck me as being a particularly momentous turning point. On the other hand, I'm the one doing a 14-year MD/PhD, so maybe that's kind of your whole point. ;)

In this thread of shameless self-promotion, I just posted a new entry and I'm happy to read your feedback.

Neuro:

Thanks for that last post. I liked it a lot and I relate to it a great deal. I'm at the early stages of the PhD thing and not enjoying it, to be honest. And I'm definitely not working the 80 hour weeks yet, which I imagine would make it even worse (or is it better?).

Anyway, I was just thinking that the current state of affairs is such that you really have to be careful in how you make your choices in life. There are just so many choices available to us that if we follow our heart or a whim we could end up in a very unexpected place. We are literally bombarded with information and opportunity - you could spend hours, days, weeks, and years just reading books or watching TV, playing sports, pursuing X or Y career, surfing the internet, etc. There's just so much opportunity which didn't even exist in the not-too-distant past (easy traveling, mass literacy, loads of information on the internet, all the forms of audio and video entertainment, increasingly equal rights and equal accessibility, longer lifespans due to better healthcare, etc.)...one could positively get lost if one treads carelessly. There's many, many lifetimes worth of fascinating information and experiences out there, and we limited human beings are too short-lived and too frail to take it all in. So I wonder: is the world too big for us, or are we too big for the world?

Anyway, I got to thinking that I didn't have to do the MD/PhD, science and medicine aren't the only interesting or intellectual or even noble professions (are there any?). I could have done any number of other things that would have been equally as meaningful, interesting, and pleasurable. For this reason, I've decided I won't invest too deeply in this whole science/medicine career - I won't make an idol of it. It's just a job, a well paid, stable job, but a job nonetheless. Sometimes I do feel a bit like I've sold my soul for money, stability, and prestige, though I'm still strongly considering becoming a missionary doc who goes to Asia or Africa - that would likely give me a lot more purpose than the career this MD/PhD is nudging me towards.

Thanks for that last post. I liked it a lot and I relate to it a great deal. I'm at the early stages of the PhD thing and not enjoying it, to be honest. And I'm definitely not working the 80 hour weeks yet, which I imagine would make it even worse (or is it better?).

You're welcome. I feel that saying something only when I have a substantial amount to say is the best way to approach things like blogs.

As for 80 hour work weeks... I think it depends on the person. I think you can justify them in your mind different ways. If you have little to nothing going on outside of the hospital or lab, you can convince yourself this is a necessary and rightous thing to do for yourself, your patients/research beneficiaries, and your career. If you have something wrong in your life personal life, it's a good way to hide from that. Hard work is certainly rewarded, so it's a good (often required) way to develop your professional life. It helps if you can just convince yourself that's okay with a little cognitive dissonance and smile while doing it.

Anyway, I was just thinking that the current state of affairs is such that you really have to be careful in how you make your choices in life. There are just so many choices available to us that if we follow our heart or a whim we could end up in a very unexpected place. We are literally bombarded with information and opportunity - you could spend hours, days, weeks, and years just reading books or watching TV, playing sports, pursuing X or Y career, surfing the internet, etc. There's just so much opportunity which didn't even exist in the not-too-distant past (easy traveling, mass literacy, loads of information on the internet, all the forms of audio and video entertainment, increasingly equal rights and equal accessibility, longer lifespans due to better healthcare, etc.)...one could positively get lost if one treads carelessly. There's many, many lifetimes worth of fascinating information and experiences out there, and we limited human beings are too short-lived and too frail to take it all in. So I wonder: is the world too big for us, or are we too big for the world?

It's all up to you. This is practically a what is the meaning of life question. I wanted to post what I did because it's unusual.

It's just a job, a well paid, stable job, but a job nonetheless.

Of course your decisions of what to do in life are your own. What I like about the debt relief from MD/PhD is that it gives you flexibility to do with your degrees whatever you choose. That may not be why the money is spent on you, but when it comes down to it, it's your life. With no massive debt staring you down the face, you can do what you like.

What does worry me a bit about the MD/PhD lifestyle is that most successful researchers do make research sound like a lifestyle, not a job. So is it possible to make a research career just a job? I'm not convinced that it is.

Are PD's going to take the year off as indication of depression/psychosis/lack-of-dedication unless proven otherwise?

Because heaven knows no one in medicine could possibly be interested in other things in life besides medicine.

You and Panda should write a pamphlet on this phenomenon.

Are PD's going to take the year off as indication of depression/psychosis/lack-of-dedication unless proven otherwise?

It's a worry of mine. It may just be unfounded paranoia. It's the sort of thing med students rumor about, but nobody is quite sure. As always, when residency adcoms talk about it, their opinions vary.

Because heaven knows no one in medicine could possibly be interested in other things in life besides medicine.

:laugh: :thumbup:

Neuro, you are the most shameless self-promoter ever, even worse than Panda. :laugh:

I'm no residency PD, but I don't think your time off will matter. A lot of med students take time off to do research during med school, including moi. I've never heard of any of them not matching because of that; if anything, a year of research during med school can make them *more* competitive for academic residencies. In contrast, if you took time off after graduating, I think *that* would look a lot worse, like maybe you didn't match during your senior year.

Of course, we'll see what happens next year when you apply, but I really don't think you'll have a problem. You know I'd tell you if I did. :smuggrin: :love:

Interesting post as always. I particularly enjoyed the link that you posted a while ago about time-to-graduation. But regarding the current post, I am wondering, how do you explain the stellar match records that D&G compiles? Your conclusion was:

MD/PhD! Your ticket into top residencies anywhere!***

***Offer valid only in certain residency specialties. Offer not valid at community programs. Offer may only be used in conjunction with good to excellent medical school performance. May not apply to residencies in competitive locations.

And yet if you look at the matchlists, they look phenomenal to me. I admit I am only a second-year MSTP and don't know much about interpreting them, but the proportion of MD/PhDs matching into competitive specialties seems about on par with the general percentage (just eyeballing it). And it seems that people get residencies in desirable locations, in both competitive and less competitive specialties. But if there is one thing I have gathered by this point it's that A LOT of MSTPs are not that great at medical school, for various reasons.

So if what you say is true it is a bit of mystery how they end up doing so well in the match. Would you argue that many of them recognized they were not competitive for competitive specialties, hence the huge number that go into IM, peds, neuro? Or that MSTPs across the board actually perform phenomenally in med school, hence their good matches? Or that the tippity top programs that value research will give the MSTP applicant a shove, and so the true disadvantage to doing MD/PhD is incurred by the MSTP applicant who doesn't want to go into a tippity top program? Or something else entirely?

thanks for the input.

And yet if you look at the matchlists, they look phenomenal to me. I admit I am only a second-year MSTP and don't know much about interpreting them, but the proportion of MD/PhDs matching into competitive specialties seems about on par with the general percentage (just eyeballing it). And it seems that people get residencies in desirable locations, in both competitive and less competitive specialties. But if there is one thing I have gathered by this point it's that A LOT of MSTPs are not that great at medical school, for various reasons.

When I look at my school's matchlist I can see examples of almost everything I talked about in my blog. Remember, four students failed to match last year. Though one was left off the matchlist entirely and one is in a prelim spot and it's not listed as a prelim.

The percentage of MD/PhDs who failed to match is about the same as the percentage of MDs who failed to match according to the charting outcomes 2009. But, don't get me wrong: the PhD degree usually does help. I don't want everyone to lose sight of that. I think how much it helps varies based on specialty and based on individual programs. Some places in some specialties are just known as being MD/PhD friendly and some are unfriendly. What I want people to know very clearly is the following and perhaps I should edit my entry to reflect this.

You need to be as clinically competent as your medical school classmates to match competitive specialties. The PhD helps, but it will not get you into programs on its own. There are Step I cutoffs, increasingly Step II is required, and grades are heavily weighted. The people making decisions on your app are typically clinicians. They often don't have a great appreciation for research. In the competitive specialties the MDs often have research as well. The PhD is not a golden ticket.

Of course nobody told me this until I was a 6th year. I only found out I needed a high Step I score and an exceptional clinical performance after my PhD was completed. The old advice of "You'll get whatever you want, you're an MD/PhD" was blown away. Now my program is trying to convince me to apply to a backup specialty or get away from the specialty I did my PhD in so that I can be sure I'll match. Don't get me wrong, I think I'll be okay. But, I had no sense of this before. It was a real kick in the balls. I want the junior students, who still tell me blindly "You'll be fine" without any real sense of reality, what's going on so they can really study hard for Step I and try to get honors in clerkships.

So if what you say is true it is a bit of mystery how they end up doing so well in the match. Would you argue that many of them recognized they were not competitive for competitive specialties, hence the huge number that go into IM, peds, neuro?

I have seen this numerous times. You can match at a big name place in those specialties but not match at all in Dermatology. Though some people are quite stellar and choose those less competitive specialties. You can't separate this out just from a glance. Of course, what does Step I or grades matter towards you becoming a good physician scientist? Probably not at all. But as we all know this is a hoop jumping process.

Or that MSTPs across the board actually perform phenomenally in med school, hence their good matches?

Some do. I know some guys who have matched into big name programs in competitive specialties. They also had high step I scores and AOA in many cases.

I really don't know how MD/PhDs do in med school in general. My impression is that they do similarly to their med school colleagues. i.e. There is a distribution. Some do great, some don't.

Or that the tippity top programs that value research will give the MSTP applicant a shove, and so the true disadvantage to doing MD/PhD is incurred by the MSTP applicant who doesn't want to go into a tippity top program? Or something else entirely?

Maybe I didn't explain the trap clearly.

Top programs often have stat and grade cutoffs. If you are an average med student (and remember, average Step I is about 220), you may not make the cut for those top programs. The other problem is if you want to match community for some reason (loaction reasons usually). Make sense?

yep, thanks for the reply. Interesting convo. Here is to you matching well, in rads, and disproving your theory :).

It won't disprove my theory. My step I score is decent. If my step I score was 30 points lower I'd be sweating bullets right now. I do think I'll be fine. I like to write about general MD/PhD topics, not necessarily about myself/what's happening to me.

I think my program is biased towards certain specialties as being more research oriented. I also think that my program doesn't want to take any more chances with students not matching or matching to non-premier institutions, so they want me to apply to a backup specialty.

It won't disprove my theory. My step I score is decent. If my step I score was 30 points lower I'd be sweating bullets right now. I do think I'll be fine. I like to write about general MD/PhD topics, not necessarily about myself/what's happening to me.

I think my program is biased towards certain specialties as being more research oriented. I also think that my program doesn't want to take any more chances with students not matching or matching to non-premier institutions, so they want me to apply to a backup specialty.

I actually first read your blog quite a while ago, but the most recent entry is definitely interesting. You have a really inspiring story (I'm not sure if you like to get that from people, but it's true). I think it's also great that you took some time off for yourself. I worked with a post-doc this past summer who was a total work-a-holic. 90 hour weeks were the norm (+ the occasional moonlighting). He was a nice guy, but you could visibly tell that it was killing him. I think that medicine is the sort of career where the work is never over, and if you don't set up boundaries (when you are allowed to, anyhow) to keep yourself away it will suck you in for the rest of your life.

Best of luck with the upcoming match. I think that you're particularly qualified, even if you don't have a monster Step 1 score. (3 publications + 2 on the way + patent + grant + coming from a top school) shows a lot of promise. I have a friend who's a MD/PhD that would kill for those stats.

I mean, if all else fails, you can just do the teleradiology thing...have a computer on your boat and make diagnoses in between dives somewhere on the other side of the world, right? ;)

I know I know, I was trying to be one of those "junior students, who still tell [you] blindly 'You'll be fine' without any real sense of reality".

You may have mentioned this elsewhere but I don't recall the exact numbers, and it is weighing on my mind since I am gearing up for boards...for MD/PhD's planning to apply to less-competitive specialties (I am specifically interested in IM or Peds) at ultra-competitive places, what sort of Step I score should I be shooting for? The consensus bandied about here is that Step I matters much less for those types of programs--any further thoughts? If you've already answered this before just let me know and I can try a thorough search.
(p.s. I'm aware that there are plenty of other posters on other forums who talk about this sort of thing, but they don't usually account for the PhD, and also, you seem to have a better grasp of it.)

I know I know, I was trying to be one of those "junior students, who still tell [you] blindly 'You'll be fine' without any real sense of reality".

:p:p:p

You may have mentioned this elsewhere but I don't recall the exact numbers, and it is weighing on my mind since I am gearing up for boards...for MD/PhD's planning to apply to less-competitive specialties (I am specifically interested in IM or Peds) at ultra-competitive places, what sort of Step I score should I be shooting for?

Having never strongly looked into these specialties I simply don't know. Sorry. I do think the better your score is the better off you'll be in general. I think you shouldn't assume you want any specialty until you've done all of third year, and probably part of fourth as well. Thus, my advice would be to do as well as you can.

:p:p:p

Having never strongly looked into these specialties I simply don't know. Sorry. I do think the better your score is the better off you'll be in general. I think you shouldn't assume you want any specialty until you've done all of third year, and probably part of fourth as well. Thus, my advice would be to do as well as you can.

haha fair enough--always good advice. Doesn't provide me an excuse to slack off though :(.

...for MD/PhD's planning to apply to less-competitive specialties (I am specifically interested in IM or Peds) at ultra-competitive places, what sort of Step I score should I be shooting for?...
You already answered your question - if it's an ultracompetitive place, regardless of the specialty, you likely need the highest number you can get. But why would you want to do less than your best? What if you change your mind and like a more competitive specialty? Your question shouldn't be "how should I go?" but "How do I make it as high as I can?"

A number of my classmates blew off Step I with statements like "I won't need it in specialty X", or "I have an 'in'", hoping to save themselves the stress of that exam. In reality, they just exchanged the short-term stress of exam prep for the years-long stress of having a low Step I.

Before you say "I'm asking about MD/PhD students, not MDs", consider Neuronix's experience - residencies are looking at your med school performance. You need to be as good a med student as anyone else applying for the same residency.

You already answered your question - if it's an ultracompetitive place, regardless of the specialty, you likely need the highest number you can get. But why would you want to do less than your best? What if you change your mind and like a more competitive specialty? Your question shouldn't be "how should I go?" but "How do I make it as high as I can?"

A number of my classmates blew off Step I with statements like "I won't need it in specialty X", or "I have an 'in'", hoping to save themselves the stress of that exam. In reality, they just exchanged the short-term stress of exam prep for the years-long stress of having a low Step I.

Before you say "I'm asking about MD/PhD students, not MDs", consider Neuronix's experience - residencies are looking at your med school performance. You need to be as good a med student as anyone else applying for the same residency.

sure in an ideal world, we would all do our absolute best on everything. But in this world there are competing priorities, and every moment of every day one has to decide how to allocate his time. Study 8 hours a day? 10? 12? 14? 16? Train for another marathon this spring? Or just work out a couple times a week to stay sane? Give up workouts? Should I cook dinner every night? Or should I just snack a few nights a week and save an hour here and an hour there for studying? How much time should I spend with my girlfriend? Do I want to cut down on that? Why not just dump her because she detracts from studying? Should I bother calling home this semester on Sunday evenings? Or is that a waste of time when I could be studying? etc etc etc

the fact of the matter is that there are a million gradations between "slacking off" and "the highest number you can get". Nobody in this world is willing to make all of the sacrifices to achieve "the highest number you can get". Even the d-bags on pre-allo who started reading First Aid before med school even started. Certain things (girlfriend, calling home, working out) are inviolable for some of us.

What is vexing for me is deciding where on that sliding scale I want to fall. just a pass? 200? 225? 250? balls-to-the-walls for 3 months and try to replicate my 40 on the MCAT? It is an important question and I do not believe that the solution is as simple as "just try your hardest". I'm going to be trying damn hard; I anticipate 12 hour days for the next 2 months while I am still in school and then whatever it takes for 4 weeks before the exam. But I am certainly capable of putting in way more time than that if it's necessary. The question is whether that is really necessary.

What is vexing for me is deciding where on that sliding scale I want to fall. just a pass? 200? 225? 250? balls-to-the-walls for 3 months and try to replicate my 40 on the MCAT? It is an important question and I do not believe that the solution is as simple as "just try your hardest". I'm going to be trying damn hard; I anticipate 12 hour days for the next 2 months while I am still in school and then whatever it takes for 4 weeks before the exam. But I am certainly capable of putting in way more time than that if it's necessary. The question is whether that is really necessary.
My suggestions:

Assuming your school grades/ranks you for preclinical years, don't blow school off, especially if you think you're ranked well enough where you can eventually get AOA. For now, get yourself a question bank. Most people use Kaplan or UW, and those are two that probably have some of the more higher-quality questions. But neither one (and certainly not both!) is essential for you to do well, in spite of what you'll read in the USMLE forum. Study maybe an hour or two a day while you're still in classes, including doing some questions and reading through the answers.

Once you're done with school, study 8-10 hours per day for 4-5 weeks. No more. I know that when I reached the end of that fifth week, there was just no more cramming anything else into my brain. I was at the point where I was starting to forget the things I had learned earlier on. Continue to spend an hour or two with your girlfriend, go to the gym for a while here and there. You need some sense of normalcy in your life, even when you're studying for boards. You want to be well-prepared, but you do not want to go into the test feeling burned out.

Also, it's ok if you don't get a 290, or even a 260. You can still respect yourself in the morning even if you "only" get a 230. ;)

My suggestions:

Assuming your school grades/ranks you for preclinical years, don't blow school off, especially if you think you're ranked well enough where you can eventually get AOA. For now, get yourself a question bank. Most people use Kaplan or UW, and those are two that probably have some of the more higher-quality questions. But neither one (and certainly not both!) is essential for you to do well, in spite of what you'll read in the USMLE forum. Study maybe an hour or two a day while you're still in classes, including doing some questions and reading through the answers.

Once you're done with school, study 8-10 hours per day for 4-5 weeks. No more. I know that when I reached the end of that fifth week, there was just no more cramming anything else into my brain. I was at the point where I was starting to forget the things I had learned earlier on. Continue to spend an hour or two with your girlfriend, go to the gym for a while here and there. You need some sense of normalcy in your life, even when you're studying for boards. You want to be well-prepared, but you do not want to go into the test feeling burned out.

Also, it's ok if you don't get a 290, or even a 260. You can still respect yourself in the morning even if you "only" get a 230. ;)

thanks for the advice Q :). Sounds eminently reasonable. And neuro, sorry to hijack your blog thread with my boards anxiety.

thanks for the advice Q :). Sounds eminently reasonable. And neuro, sorry to hijack your blog thread with my boards anxiety.

lol, it's ok. I wish I had a good answer to your excellent question about how much is too much. Finding balance in a super-competitive atmosphere is hard for everyone in this game in all stages.

Here's me at solitude (the ski area, near SLC):

dzwn5s.jpg

lol, it's ok. I wish I had a good answer to your excellent question about how much is too much. Finding balance in a super-competitive atmosphere is hard for everyone in this game in all stages.

Here's me at solitude (the ski area, near SLC):

dzwn5s.jpg

yes!!! I picked my sdn name over 5 years ago after solitude, THE ski area. I love Utah snow. Just wish I got paid more so I could get over there more often.

I am an MD/PhD graduate who matched in radiology. When I took step 1, I won't say that I blew it off but I definitely underestimated its value. I ended up with a score that was slightly above average, but I wished that I had done better. I didn't realize that your step 1 score is the single most important criteria when selecting you for interviews. When you're getting screened for interviews, I would say that the criteria are (more or less in order of importance):

- step 1
- clinical grades/AOA
- research experience
- your letters
- quality of your medical school
- step 2
- other

I wasn't sure what specialty I wanted to do, but ended up deciding to do radiology (strike 1). You may be interested in IM or peds, but expect that to change once you see what these careers consist of.

Then, I decided I wanted to get married to another medical student in the match and do the couple match (strike 2). It's like I was just trying to make the match as difficult as possible. Luckily, she was matching into a less competitive field.

In the end, I wish my step 1 score had been 10-20 points higher. I ended up taking step 2 early to try to improve (and did substantially), but I think a lot of places don't even use that for screening. So, you want your step 1 score to be as high as possible within reason. As you pointed out, there's no reason to dump your girlfriend or stop going to the gym, but focus. And focus on practical studying. Don't waste time reading your old notes or something. I would:

- read First Aid
- do as many USMLEworld questions as possible

If you have time then repeat. I also agree with one of the above posters that the optimal time to study full time is 4 weeks. Read First Aid and do a few questions a day while you still have class. Then 8 hours a day for 4 weeks and you're good to go. Any longer and you'll start forgetting.

If you have any questions about matching, applying as an MD/PhD, how to interview, the couples match, or whatever, feel free to PM me.

I am an MD/PhD graduate who matched in radiology. When I took step 1, I won't say that I blew it off but I definitely underestimated its value. I ended up with a score that was slightly above average, but I wished that I had done better. I didn't realize that your step 1 score is the single most important criteria when selecting you for interviews. When you're getting screened for interviews, I would say that the criteria are (more or less in order of importance):

- step 1
- clinical grades/AOA
- research experience
- your letters
- quality of your medical school
- step 2
- other

I wasn't sure what specialty I wanted to do, but ended up deciding to do radiology (strike 1). You may be interested in IM or peds, but expect that to change once you see what these careers consist of.

Then, I decided I wanted to get married to another medical student in the match and do the couple match (strike 2). It's like I was just trying to make the match as difficult as possible. Luckily, she was matching into a less competitive field.

In the end, I wish my step 1 score had been 10-20 points higher. I ended up taking step 2 early to try to improve (and did substantially), but I think a lot of places don't even use that for screening. So, you want your step 1 score to be as high as possible within reason. As you pointed out, there's no reason to dump your girlfriend or stop going to the gym, but focus. And focus on practical studying. Don't waste time reading your old notes or something. I would:

- read First Aid
- do as many USMLEworld questions as possible

If you have time then repeat. I also agree with one of the above posters that the optimal time to study full time is 4 weeks. Read First Aid and do a few questions a day while you still have class. Then 8 hours a day for 4 weeks and you're good to go. Any longer and you'll start forgetting.

If you have any questions about matching, applying as an MD/PhD, how to interview, the couples match, or whatever, feel free to PM me.

thanks for the advice!