My chances with a July MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnnytest

MS-4
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am applying to MD schools. I'm a resident of NY. Not a minority - Asian.

I took the mcat before and got a 11/6/14 (31 total). Because of the 6 in verbal I am re-taking it on July 2nd, 2014.
I feel confident I can improve my VR score because I will have the entire month of June free to do as much practice as possible. I also know I can improve PS. BS is my strength so no worries there.

My stats briefly are:
Cumulative and Science GPA are both 3.82
Major: Biomedical Engineering
Clinical Experience: In emergency department and clinic for at least a year, more than 150 hrs total.
Lab/Research: At least two years. Produced an abstract and poster for a conference. As well as a provisional patent.
Other Extras: Tutoring, Mentoring, Teaching Assistant, Secretary of Health Club I started at my campus with colleagues.
LORs: 2 from academics, 2 from research, 1 from clinical program, and committee letter.
Other: Personal/Family health issues have motivated me to become a doctor since I was young.

I plan on submitting my application 1st week of June and waiting to upload my letters as they come with the committee letter coming last around July 15th.

I'm wondering if I should submit my primary to just one school and wait until August 5th for my July 2nd mcat score or just send the primary to a bunch so I can get a lot of secondaries? I will indicate on my app I am taking future mcat. But, I'm worried some medical schools will screen out my application due to that 6...

Anyway, what do you think of my chances and my game plan for this upcoming cycle? Also, it's my first time applying. Any feedback/comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

If you are applying this year, I would definitely wait to submit the primary to all your schools. The 6 may be a big issue for secondaries. If everything is ready to go, it would not be that bad to be complete early August - I would go for it. My application was complete on August 19th, which is when my committee finally sent my letter, and I got plenty of interviews. The rest of your application seems strong. You will likely miss out on the first round of interview invites, but most people are not complete until late July anyhow, just because of verification backup and the time it takes to write secondaries. By the time August comes around, SDN would have updated all the latest secondary essays, so you can be 100% ready to submit the secondaries when you get them and be complete at your schools by the end of the first week of August.

The other issue is school has no obligation to wait for a second/planned MCAT score. I would concur that waiting to submit until you have that score in hand is best, certainly no more than the single school

You are referring to submitting in June but for one school only right? Because I don't want to submit my primary even for one school in July or August because I feel it will take a lot longer to get verified. My personal statement is for the most part complete and my committee letter will be ready by July 15th, latest.