My OMFS Residency Application Journey

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
north2southOMFS said:
Yah-E, I thought you were going to keep that under wraps?
At least he didn't overpaid them!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Damn, that's cold...cold, and funny.

north2southOMFS said:
Yah-E, I thought you were going to keep that under wraps?

Damn, you shouldn't have exposed us like that. Are you still mad that I only paid you $5.50? ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
<dinesh feels very disturbed>

Yah-E said:
Damn, you shouldn't have exposed us like that. Are you still mad that I only paid you $5.50? ;)
:laugh: nice comeback! :laugh:

Yah-E said:
DAAAAAAAMMMMMMNNNNN!!!!

i just want to say good luck to you all!!!

I finally took a few days rest after taking step I.....finally had some time to look at sdn forums. I didn't even realize that it's time for apps...so for those of you applying, good luck....I am sure I will see a lot of you guys during interviews if any of you guys drop by case western. Man, i hope i passed that exam....nbde I pales in comparison in term of difficulty....

Yellowman said:
I finally took a few days rest after taking step I.....finally had some time to look at sdn forums. I didn't even realize that it's time for apps...so for those of you applying, good luck....I am sure I will see a lot of you guys during interviews if any of you guys drop by case western. Man, i hope i passed that exam....nbde I pales in comparison in term of difficulty....

Yellowman, good to see you back. Hopefully I'll get to see you at CWRU if I earn an interview!

tx oms said:
Your combinations of numbers and connections will get you an interview. Some extracurriculars can help get the interview, as can an externship (both of these make up for dings in the numbers). Externships and personal statements can also both block an interview. If you are a tool don't expect an interview from your externship. If you don't interview anywhere you externed, you're a tool--get a clue. If your personal statement is bad, filled with cliches, sob storries, or touchy-feely crap, don't expect many interviews.

How can an externship block an interview? Do you mean block an interview ate the place you did the externship because they didn't like you or can it block an interview else where?

Brutus0725 said:
How can an externship block an interview? Do you mean block an interview ate the place you did the externship because they didn't like you or can it block an interview else where?

Externships can block you because if the residents that worked with you didn't like your personality, the way you work, sensed that you're lazy, or simply just don't like the way you look, all that will leave a "negative" impression. Then the words will travel to the program director and an interview invite blocked!

from my observations here at USC, externships can DEFINITELY hurt you. If you don't vibe with the residents well, or you do something stupid (I mean REAL stupid) in front of the chiefs or the attendings, you can pretty much kiss the interview goodbye, even if you have good #'s.

Yah-E,

Is it more difficult to attend a 4-year program than a 6-year program? do you prefer the 6-year programs? I noticed you only applied to two 4-year programs?

Do you know how many of the OMSF programs are 4-years?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh no...I've applied to more than just two 4-year programs out of my list of 20! The two that are specified "4-year" on my list because at that particular residency they offer both the 4-year and the 6-year options. I simply noted that I am only applying to the 4-year program at those particular residencies.

For example, at Emory OMFS, they have both 4- and 6-year programs, I only applied to the 4-year program, therefore, I noted on my list "4-year".

[Bro,

UIC is a worthless program. I was really disappointed because chicago is a great town. I interviewed there and one of the residents told me while we were at a local coffee shop that the residents don't cut. The attendings...especially the Chair....do not let you do anything. UIC and Cook County programs used to be one combined program. That's why Cook County does tons of trauma....while UIC does tons of dentoalveolar. I didn't even rank UIC. Two thumbs down.

UFOMS said:
[Bro,

UIC is a worthless program. I was really disappointed because chicago is a great town. I interviewed there and one of the residents told me while we were at a local coffee shop that the residents don't cut. The attendings...especially the Chair....do not let you do anything. UIC and Cook County programs used to be one combined program. That's why Cook County does tons of trauma....while UIC does tons of dentoalveolar. I didn't even rank UIC. Two thumbs down.

I know, you always hear stories about programs, but I just want to check it out myself first hand. Well, at least I'll get to see both Cook County and UIC, right?

Yah-E,
Thanks. Based on your Experiences, do you think it is more competitive to get to the 4-year programs vs. the 6-years programs? Also, do you know what is the ration of 4-years to 6-years programs? Is it 1:1?

Yah-E said:
Oh no...I've applied to more than just two 4-year programs out of my list of 20! The two that are specified "4-year" on my list because at that particular residency they offer both the 4-year and the 6-year options. I simply noted that I am only applying to the 4-year program at those particular residencies.

For example, at Emory OMFS, they have both 4- and 6-year programs, I only applied to the 4-year program, therefore, I noted on my list "4-year".

Any OMSFer want take this question:

Do you think it is more competitive to get into a 4-year program vs. a 6-years program?

Also, do you know what is the ratio of 4-years to 6-years programs? Is it 1:1?

Yah-E said:
I have no experience. I am only experiencing this for the first time myself and it is in the very beginning stage of the application process. Please direct this question to all OMFS residents on SDN.

I have not had the time to figure this out nor do I wish to take the time to figure this out. Again, perhaps direct this question to OMFS residents who are on SDN.

[DISCLAIMER: I am not nor do I claim to be a source or reference on OMFS statistics, residency information, and/or how to get into an OMFS residency!]

balance said:

Do you think it is more competitive to get into a 4-year program vs. a 6-years program?

I am not a resident, but I believe I can answer the second question. I checked this out a few months ago and found out it is pretty damn close to a 1:1 for 4-year:6-year. As far as competitiveness goes, I think this was discussed a short while back. Try searching this forum and you should be able to find the thread I'm talking about.

Yah-E, thanks for creating this thread. As an incoming third-year aspiring to be an oral surgeon like yourself, this will be a great reference for me come one year from now. For now, however, it's boards, boards, boards. T-minus 6 days!!

gbdental said:
Yah-E, thanks for creating this thread. As an incoming third-year aspiring to be an oral surgeon like yourself, this will be a great reference for me come one year from now. For now, however, it's boards, boards, boards. T-minus 6 days!!

Hey, no probs, that's exactly why I did this. Study hard and get 'em 90s!

balance said:
This question is further confused by the fact that a 3rd type of program exists: MD optional. These are generally considered 4-year programs because that's what they require at minimum. Also, many of them are set up so that you do your 4-year residency and then have the option to do 2 years of med school. This is rarely done...why would a board-eligible OMS who is ready to go out into practice go back to the classroom setting for 2 more years? To make it worse, you still have to do a post-graduate year after med school (usually general surgery) to be eligible to take step 3 of the medical boards, which is required for a state medical license. After all this, you still do the same procedures you learned in residency because med school doesn't teach jack about OMS.

balance said:

I think in general, it's more competitive to enter into a 6 year (and the 5 year with MD) because the applicants need to meet another level of expectations due to the med school adcoms. However, that's not to say 4 year programs arent competitive. Schools such as Montifiore, Washington Hospital, and Miami are pretty popular as well.

Any idea,how programs rank the candidates when it comes to MD integrated and just OS certificate?Are there separate rank lists for both or is it just one?

Dentist1 said:
Any idea,how programs rank the candidates when it comes to MD integrated and just OS certificate?Are there separate rank lists for both or is it just one?

Great questions, but get off my thread! Start your own thread! :sleep:

Yah-E said:
Great questions, but get off my thread! Start your own thread! :sleep:

I have a questioon for your thread Yah-E. I was wondering if you have heard something about every program that you applied to ie someone you know externed there or faculty could comment on a program or if you just selected lots of programs which you didn't know much about and planned to learn about them when you interview at them? Of course, you can disregard this question in relation to all the programs you externed at.

I guess the heart of my question is how did you select programs? Had you heard something about each program or did you select them based on location?

Adam:

My residency selection sources come from many means: (in no order of importance)

1) externships
2) talking with many residents (great resources) at my externships and at my dental school
3) in contact with 9 program directors for years
4) family and friends (location)
5) very little OMFS faculty suggestions/recommendations

If I would rank in order which above influenced me from the most to the least, then it would be:

1 > 4 > 3 > 2 > 5

Yah-E said:
Adam:

My residency selection sources come from many means: (in no order of importance)

1) externships
2) talking with many residents (great resources) at my externships and at my dental school
3) in contact with 9 program directors for years
4) family and friends (location)
5) very little OMFS faculty suggestions/recommendations

If I would rank in order which above influenced me from the most to the least, then it would be:

1 > 4 > 3 > 2 > 5

My beautiful, sexy girlfriend is about to start her Prosthodontic residency this July at one of the places I've applied to. With her being there and I'm in FL for this last academic year, it will be very difficult for me since I dislike long-distance relationships. Obviously with her already there at her residency, I would very much like to match as close to her as possible if not where she is now so we can be together. For this reason, LOCATION is a crucial factor for me in selecting residencies to apply to.

I would be happy if I just matched anywhere that I've applied to, but I would be much happier if I matched and I am with my foxy GF physically! :love:

Good decision.
I too followed my then girlfriend now wife to NYU even though she told me not to since NYU was crap
Oh well, i guess i learned the hard way

:laugh:

Hey Yah-E,

I was wondering how it went at Parkland. I think you got back a couple of weeks ago, and I haven't seen anything in this post or any others about the experience.

adamlc18 said:
Hey Yah-E,

I was wondering how it went at Parkland. I think you got back a couple of weeks ago, and I haven't seen anything in this post or any others about the experience.
Yeah, Yah-E how was Parkland? Didn't you put on some arch bars upside-down or something?

adamlc18 said:
Hey Yah-E,

I spoke with some of the residents there. There werent at all impressed with the name dropping. :rolleyes:

toofache32 said:
Yeah, Yah-E how was Parkland? Didn't you put on some arch bars upside-down or something?
I did that on an externship in New Orleans. I will NEVER do that again. MISERY.

i wanna hear about your externship experience also...

adamlc18 said:
Hey Yah-E,

Adam: I had a great time at Parkland, I was only there for two weeks. If I had money, I would've stayed for another week. I really think 3 weeks is a good length for an externship. I've done a 4-week one (a bit too long), I've done 3-week one, and now I've done a 2-week one. The guys at Parkland that I've worked and learned from are really cool. Some particular ones were funny as hell. The Chief that I worked and learned from is awesome, what an amazing story teller and fun guy to learn from.

I was also pleased to work with two other externs (Baylor and Michigan) while I was there during my first week, but I was the only extern there during the second week of my externship. I went out to eat with the residents couple of times and hung out. I took call two nights, both were face trauma call nights. One call night was slow, but my second call night was super busy.

As an extern, I was able to do plenty. I shucked roughly at least 10 teeth a day at the out-patient dental clinic at Parkland Memorial, at times, I'll get patients that require the entire arch exodontia (there goes 14 roots tips). I was also able to gain plenty of practice in elevating flaps for the maxillary arch for buccal & ridge alveoloplasties. I removed several mandibular lingual toris with osteotome as well. I only gone into the OR twice during my two weeks there, but for some pretty cool procedures. One in particular was a rhinoplasty case, that was really cool to see and assist.

Overall, I had a great time there.

Doggie said:
I spoke with some of the residents there. There werent at all impressed with the name dropping.

What you talking about Willis?

Toofache32 said:
F: Parkland experience would've been more interesting if you were around! No upside-down arch bars, but I did bomb the annual Pathology exam!

A bit of application update: still waiting to collect my last PASS e-form for one of my evaluators. Also, some of the grades aren't even inputed into the school's system so I can't even request my official dental transcripts yet. Also my Dean's institutional evaluation is still being completed. All these items are holding up my PASS application being processed.

Yesterday, I did finally send out to 10 residencies of all the supplemental application materials such as 2X2 self-photo, undergrad transcripts, supplemental application fees, and supplemental applications.

Cost-to-date:
$1030 - 2006 PASS application to 20 programs
$70 - Match registration to obtain a match #
$40 - 4 Official NBDE Part I scores sent directly to residency programs ($10/each)
$70 - 14 official transcripts from Univ. of MN ($5 each) - undergrad
$65 - 13 official transcripts from Macalester College ($5 each) - undergrad
$30 - supplemental application fee @ LSU
$30 - supplemental application fee @ Washington Hospital Center
$65 - 13 official transcripts from Midwestern University ($5 each) - my post-bac program
$25 - supplemental application fee @ UTSW-Parkland
$50 - supplemental application fee @ Case Western Reserve
$30.10 - 7 USPS Priority Mail for various OMFS program supplemental application material packets

Yah-E said:
Yesterday, I did finally send out to 10 residencies of all the supplemental application materials such as 2X2 self-photo, undergrad transcripts, supplemental application fees, and supplemental applications.

Hey, make sure you call the programs and make certain they got all the supplemental stuff you sent them. Residency programs are disorganized and they often either lose your stuff or never get it.

north2southOMFS said:
Hey, make sure you call the programs and make certain they got all the supplemental stuff you sent them. Residency programs are disorganized and they often either lose your stuff or never get it.
And call the PASS people too. One of my classmates got screwed and found out towards the end of the interview season that only about half the places received his application packet.

Yah-E said:
As an extern, I was able to do plenty. I shucked roughly at least 10 teeth a day at the out-patient dental clinic at Parkland Memorial, at times, I'll get patients that require the entire arch exodontia (there goes 14 roots tips). I was also able to gain plenty of practice in elevating flaps for the maxillary arch for buccal & ridge alveoloplasties. I removed several mandibular lingual toris with osteotome as well. I only gone into the OR twice during my two weeks there, but for some pretty cool procedures. One in particular was a rhinoplasty case, that was really cool to see and assist.

Overall, I had a great time there.
Excuse a perio interloper on an OMS thread, but you might want to be seated before reading this...
Here's where I have to agree with OMS that perio has too high of an opinion of themselves and the difficulty of their procedures. At my school and at the two schools where I did externships the role of the extern is to suck spit/blood. I'm envious of the OMS externs getting to do procedures.

Yah-E said:
A bit of application update: still waiting to collect my last PASS e-form for one of my evaluators. Also, some of the grades aren't even inputed into the school's system so I can't even request my official dental transcripts yet. Also my Dean's institutional evaluation is still being completed. All these items are holding up my PASS application being processed.

Here's where I like perio again. Few programs do PASS. No match. They interview early so I should know by Sept or Oct what I'm doing next year.

gumgardener2009 said:
Excuse a perio interloper on an OMS thread, but you might want to be seated before reading this...
Here's where I have to agree with OMS that perio has too high of an opinion of themselves and the difficulty of their procedures. At my school and at the two schools where I did externships the role of the extern is to suck spit/blood. I'm envious of the OMS externs getting to do procedures.

Gumgardener, welcome to my thread and please feel free to post. Please do not be mislead by my experiences at UTSW at Parkland. Many OMFS externships do not allow you to do much but suck spit. Only a handful of wonderful OMFS programs where they allow their externs to learn by hands-on exposure and experience such as Parkland.

Once thing I didn't mention as much is taking trauma calls at OMFS externships. I truly believe that to preview what an OMFS resident's lifestyle, an extern must experience call nights by staying "in-house". One can experience the endurance one must need and the hectic demand of an OMFS resident during call nights. On the nights that an extern take calls with an OMFS resident, it's usually a straight 36 hour shift:

In general: Day one, show up at hospital around 6:30 AM do morning rounds, dental clinic opens around 9 AM until 5 PM. Stay around the hospital when dental clinic ends to take call, spend the night at the hospital to take call (you may be called down to the ER, you may be forced to go into the OR to operate, etc.), call night will last until the next day's morning rounds (day two), then you go right to dental clinic again from 9 AM to 5 PM, then you're free to go home once the dental clinic is done.

So an OMFS externships can have the potential to allow an extern to do quite a bit.

OK, so all my applications are slowly getting finalized and mailed out. Just yesterday, I mailed out my "required PASS documents" and as soon as ADEA receive that, my PASS application will be processed. I fcuking submitted my PASS application on June 5th and til today sh1t ain't even processed yet. So I'm hoping by the end of this week, my PASS application will finally be processed and be mailed out to all my applied programs in the next batch (who knows when that'll be).

What held me up was getting all my PASS "professional evaluations" (eform or paperform), PASS "dean's institutional evaluation", and official dental transcript. I finally received all 3 of my "professional evaluations" (either eform or paperform) from all my evaluators and my "dean's institutional evaluation" this week so I can send them in to ADEA to get my PASS application processed. All 3 of my evaluators and my Dean marked "highly recommended" on my evaluations with over 95% of the all categories remarked "outstanding". I was very pleased to see that. Now, all 3 of my evaluators will send an actual hard copy personalized letter to all individual residency programs that I've applied to in supporting the PASS "professional evaluations". These letters will hopefully go out to all the programs by the end of this month.

I've pretty much completed and mailed out all of my individual supplemental application materials to individual programs this week except for Boston University because their supplemental application is not available for download until fcuking July 15th! My hopes are that all 20 programs will have all my application materials by August 1st, letters, PASS crap, 2x2 photo, transcripts, NBDE reports, EVERYTHING!

All this application crap just blows! I don't recall AADSAS was this complicated when I applied to dental schools (I applied to 13 back then).

Here's a story:

I applied to Seton Hall OMFS. There are no application information about this particular program on PASS or the program's official website as far as what supplemental materials they require in addition to the PASS application. I called and called for the last week and no one ever answers the phone so I left voice messages. I was given two email address from PASS and program's official website to contact for questions, after using both email addresses, they both were inactive. I was like, WTF! How does one know what the hell is going on or how to apply to this residency? Luckily this afternoon I was finally able to reach the OMFS departmental secretary and get the appropriate information that I needed.

After I got all the information on what I need to apply, the conversation went like this:
She was like: "are you Andy?"
Andy: "yes!"
She was like: "oh, hi, I got your messages!" (all giggling)
Andy: "yup, that was me." (thinking to myself, do these people just don't call you back for fun? If you knew that I called numerous times in the last 7 days trying to find out information on how to apply, CALL ME BACK! This ain't that hard!)

So, word of caution, trying to get a hold some of these people to get information can be frustrating and pain in the @ss!

Anyone else applying to OMFS this year on SDN? How are you guys doing in the application process?

Yah-E said:
Anyone else applying to OMFS this year on SDN? How are you guys doing in the application process?

application is nearly in. 25 schools applied. 1 out of 3 letters completed. sent out NBDE copies. Sent additional LOR writers envelopes with addresses and stamps, getting everything ready to send out as far as 2ndary fee and applications, pictures, transcripts, etc. It is taking a long time for these LOR to come back and I sent them via eforms. It should be done by friday. I now know I can't afford this crap. I am going broke in hopes of getting a spot and I dont think I am that competitive. Ah well it sure is exciting and stressful. hope i dont get evicted. :confused:

GatorDMD said:
application is nearly in. 25 schools applied. 1 out of 3 letters completed. sent out NBDE copies. Sent additional LOR writers envelopes with addresses and stamps, getting everything ready to send out as far as 2ndary fee and applications, pictures, transcripts, etc. It is taking a long time for these LOR to come back and I sent them via eforms. It should be done by friday. I now know I can't afford this crap. I am going broke in hopes of getting a spot and I dont think I am that competitive. Ah well it sure is exciting and stressful. hope i dont get evicted. :confused:

W: You'll be fine. Your numbers are much better than mine, if you're not "competitive", then I'm not competitive! All these applications are pain. I will be very relieved once all my applications are out. Then the pain will be making sure everyone received everything! :rolleyes:

Yah-E, didn't you pull out the wrong tooth one time in pre doc clinic?

I specifically remember it being you?

No offense....I think you know your stuff very well....but unfortunately that is how I know you.

Let's just not do that again.

Let me know if I am mistaken.

Dentalhopeful said:
Yah-E, didn't you pull out the wrong tooth one time in pre doc clinic?

I specifically remember it being you?

No offense....I think you know your stuff very well....but unfortunately that is how I know you.

Let's just not do that again.

Let me know if I am mistaken.

You're not mistaken, that was me! I extracted the wrong tooth at NSU. It was good learning experience for me and believe me, I ALWAYS count my teeth now prior to a procedure. Thank god that the patient was the nicest lady to have in a situation/scenario like that. I extremely appreciated her attitude towards the whole fcuked up situation due to my stupor.

As far as you comment about "Let's just not do that again", what are you thinking? Do you think I like extracting the wrong tooth? Do you think it's a hobby of mine? C'mon kid! Of course, I'm going to do my best to "let's just not do that again"!

Waiting on LOR's. 20 programs. Not planning on sending hard copies to programs, straight e-forms.

Yah-E said:
You're not mistaken, that was me! I extracted the wrong tooth at NSU. It was good learning experience for me and believe me, I ALWAYS count my teeth now prior to a procedure. Thank god that the patient was the nicest lady to have in a situation/scenario like that. I extremely appreciated her attitude towards the whole fcuked up situation due to my stupor.

As far as you comment about "Let's just not do that again", what are you thinking? Do you think I like extracting the wrong tooth? Do you think it's a hobby of mine? C'mon kid! Of course, I'm going to do my best to "let's just not do that again"!

Good job....now tell Dr. Mintz to finish up on the bite splint because I have been waiting forever for it......GEEEEEEEZ NSU takes so long with every little thing.

Yah-E said:
OMFSRES will be re-applying as soon as he gets that little certified-letter in the mail...

"Dear Dr. OMFSRES,

You are no longer welcome in the residency program at the University of ...."

GatorDMD said:

Believe me, I feel exactly the same way. As an unemployed dentist, I am contemplating getting a loan to pay for the application process. When I do get a job, I am only going to start working part time (like 3 days/week) b/c I will need the other weekdays days to chase my LOR writers and other people whose help/favors I need to finish my applications. Honestly, I am so consumed by specialty application process (and anxiety of I NEED TO GET IN THIS TIME), I don't even want to do general dentistry right now, or ever for that matter. Except that I have to or else I'll be evicted and out on the streets with GatorDMD.

Good job Andy for staying on top of things with your application. If it makes you feel any better, last year everything of mine reached PASS on the day of my first deadline (Sept. 1). In order to make sure the crap goes from PASS to the program deadlines that were real close (Sept. 15), PASS processes those programs first and sends it out by Express Mail/FedEx. Or that's what they told me on the phone. It's probably true, b/c I did get some interviews from some of those early deadline programs.

Of course, the year prior to that I got everything in real early and it really didn't make any difference except add to the stress of "now that all my stuff is sent, when will I hear from the programs?"

:thumbup:
griffin04 said:
Good job Andy for staying on top of things with your application. If it makes you feel any better, last year everything of mine reached PASS on the day of my first deadline (Sept. 1). In order to make sure the crap goes from PASS to the program deadlines that were real close (Sept. 15), PASS processes those programs first and sends it out by Express Mail/FedEx. Or that's what they told me on the phone. It's probably true, b/c I did get some interviews from some of those early deadline programs.

Of course, the year prior to that I got everything in real early and it really didn't make any difference except add to the stress of "now that all my stuff is sent, when will I hear from the programs?"

T: I am really pulling for you this time girl! 3rd time's the charm, they always say....

I'm not sure if OMFS programs apply the rolling admission philosophy in the sense that programs look at the completed applications as they roll in or do they look at all of them at the same period of time right after the program deadline? Do any of your current OMFS residents know?

I just want to get everything in and know that everyone has received it so I don't have to worry about missing or lost required documents. Waiting for interviews, that I can do. My god, I really don't know how many interview invites I'll get!

My class rank is low in comparison to majority of the OMFS applicants
My undergrad GPA blows

These two factors alone are enough to give me nightmares and gray hairs. Lets just hope that I earn at least 5 interviews! My ultimate wish is for 10 interviews, but I would be very happy if I at least get 5.

Right up front wit you all, I would be very shocked and surprised if I end up receiving an interview from the following applied programs: (mainly due to the two reasons listed above)

1) Case Western Reserve
2) Miami Jackson Memorial
3) LSU NO
4) UTSW Parkland
5) Michigan
6) Montefiore
7) Emory
8) UNC
9) Maryland
10) Nebraska

Out of my 20 applied programs, you see, I've already listed 10 programs above that I feel I may have a challenge in getting an interview! The remaining 10 programs, I'm not 100% confident, heck, I'm not even 80% confident, but at least feel much better about my chances. Alright, I'm not trying to pessemistic here, but simply sharing my feeling about my chances. Hey, I'm excited as hell to see how far my application will get me and am very proud of the achievements and credentials that I've accomplished/gathered. I guess we all have our doubts at one point or the other.

Bottom line, if I receive an interview from any of the above 10 programs, I will be celebrating like it's 1999!