My OMFS Residency Application Journey

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i hope he had someone else write his MATCH/PASS personal statement (or at least had tx_oms proofread it). he writes like a 10 year old.

Yah-E said:
My highlight was meeting this amazing sexy beautiful blonde who I met through a friend. She owns her own company designing lingerie and we talked the whole night. I asked her for a date after we've flirted and talked for ever and since I'll be here in Chi-town for another 2 weeks and she said yes!! :love: ****, you guys, I wish I could show you a picture of her, she is so damn gorgeous and cute. I'm pretty excited to see her again. Last night was pretty crazy! we had about 50 people in our party and the lounge was packed! I about sh1t my pants when we got our bill at $3500!

I'll keep you updated on my date with this blonde hotty. Our date is sometime next week and she wanted me to call her so we can flirt some more and plan our date. I'm really excited to see her again. Tonight, I'm taking call again with a 2nd year and a 1st year, hopefully I'll get to see more action! Stayed tuned because there's alway sh1t going on boy!

Members don't see this ad.

Jone said:
i hope he had someone else write his MATCH/PASS personal statement (or at least had tx_oms proofread it). he writes like a 10 year old.

Yeah, he seems to have trouble with spelling and grammar.

Hey Yah-E, what happened to that "sexy girlfriend" you had (who apparently still appears in your profile)? Did you guys break up or are you just cheating on her and dumb enough to write about your infidelity on a public message board?

ajmacgregor said:
Hey Yah-E, what happened to that "sexy girlfriend" you had (who apparently still appears in your profile)? Did you guys break up or are you just cheating on her and dumb enough to write about your infidelity on a public message board?
I was thinking the same thing!

Members don't see this ad :)
ajmacgregor said:
Hey Yah-E, what happened to that "sexy girlfriend"

She must have popped when he tried to stuff her in his car to take her to Chicago.

LSR1979 said:
She must have popped when he tried to stuff her in his car to take her to Chicago.
THAT's funny!
does any guy in this forum have an ugly gfriend?! just curious!

ajmacgregor said:
Yeah, he seems to have trouble with spelling and grammar.

Profile updated. My GF and I did break up 3 days after I arrived in Chi-town two weeks ago.

LSR1979 said:

My life two weeks ago would've been much more easier if this was the case.

Jone said:

Clearly I can write more like a 15 year old, C'MON fool give me at least that! BTW, thank to tx_oms, he did proof read my personal statment.

tx_oms said:
First, it's lateral pharyngeal space, not laryngeal. Second, why did it take two hours to pull a tooth and drain some pus? Did they let you do it or something?

It took everyone two hours in the OR because we had trouble intubate this pt. The procedure was short, but the intubation portion took up most of the OR time.

That's why you need to have the pager number for RT memorized. We'll come in, tube the patient, show you all how to do it right..... :smuggrin:

Not often in the OR- heard of a couple in the PACU where the nurses have accidentally extubated the patient and the anesthesiologist is nowhere to be found), but we do most of the intubations in the ICU, on the floors, and a fair number in the ER . Oh, and nurses do incentive spirometry here.

Any way, I was just giving Yah-E a hard time....relax....

Just received an email from Univ. Michigan stating that they received my PASS application. From that, I'm going to assume that my PASS application should be delivered to all of my applied programs by the end of this week.

Other news, I have one more day left of my 3-week externship at Cook County. Had a blast and the guys are great. More later.

I had a school call and tell me that got my material and i had really good letters of rec! sounds good to me!

Members don't see this ad :)
ISU_Steve said:
That's why you need to have the pager number for RT memorized. We'll come in, tube the patient, show you all how to do it right..... :smuggrin:
That's like asking a caddie to hit the most important putt of the game.

I contacted all of the programs yesterday, got a hold of half of them. The ones that I got a hold of, they have confirmed that my application was complete.

The ones that I got a hold of, I also asked if they know the interview date(s) (if they have set them already). All of them said that the faculty and directors will not review applications until around the program's deadline.

Here are the interview dates: (DISCLAIMER: these are just dates, I have not received any invitations for interview)

CWRU: November sometime
LSU NO: November 14th & 15th, December 5th & 6th (2 2-day interview session scheduled only) - inviting max around 30 applicants
Minnesota: November 17th (1 1-day interview session scheduled only) - invite max around 15 applicants
UTSW: December 1st & 2nd (2 1-day interview session scheduled only) - invite max around 30 applicants
UNC: November 11th (1 1-day interview session schedule only)
VCU: December first week

I have left messeges with all the secretaries at programs that I did not talk to and hopefully they will call back and confirm that my application is complete. After that, all I do is wait for invitations for interview! (fingers crossed)

Michigan just called and stated my application is complete, applications will be reviewed in late September.

CWRU: November sometime
LSU NO: November 14th & 15th, December 5th & 6th (2 2-day interview session scheduled only) - inviting max around 30 applicants
Minnesota: November 17th (1 1-day interview session scheduled only) - invite max around 15 applicants
UTSW: December 1st & 2nd (2 1-day interview session scheduled only) - invite max around 30 applicants
UNC: November 11th (1 1-day interview session schedule only)
VCU: December first week
Michigan: November 4th & 5th (2 1-day interview session scheduled only)

GatorDMD said:
UKY interview dates Oct. 26 and Nov 2

Hey is GatorDMD (UFCD Class of 2006) = Khaled??? Just wondering...... If not, then reveal your identity!!! Reply back to the thread and let me know... Peace.....

Yah-E, what's up? I haven't seen any updates.

tx oms said:
Yah-E, what's up? I haven't seen any updates.
Just doing the waiting game...all applications are complete...only update I have now is that Case did not invite me for an interview...oh well, moving on..

In the mean time, just watching a lot of college football and partying!

Trust me, I'll keep you all updated on all my progress...thanks for asking my man.

Yah-E, any luck yet grabbing some interview booty?

I am also pre-omfs ;).

SuperTrooper said:
Yah-E, any luck yet grabbing some interview booty?

I am also pre-omfs ;).
Nothing yet...I know some of the SDNer are getting lucky, but no luck has arrived to my door yet! I'm banking on those midwest residencies!! I'm hoping to hear/see/read some good news this month (Oct). In the mean time, all I'm worrying about is getting my graduation requirements completed and get the DMD first!

Oh, of course, my Gophers kicking the sh1t out of Michigan this weekend! :thumbup:

tx oms said:
Some flare is better than others. 15 extra pieces of dog **** pinned to your shirt isn't the same as 2 extra gold nuggest pinned to your shirt. I don't like to read a packet with tons of recommendation letters. Lots of people have them but most of those letters sound impersonal and say the same thing.

Extra letters MUST be written by an oral surgeon. If you send something from a periodontist I swear to god :mad:... Also, if you're going to force me to glance at, much less read, something extra I'd like it to be unique. Hopefully the writer can tell me something about you. BTW, "he is one of the top 5 percent of students I have trained", "he will be a great addition to your program", and "he has impressed me with his work ethic and maturity" are not unique to you. I promise. There is one cliche I don't mind: "we will have a spot for him at our program if he decides to stay" or something similar.

Let's talk about personal statements. First, I read these things with a red pen. Don't be the guy with spelling, punctuation, or grammar mistakes. Just don't. If you've done something special in your life, tell me. I don't care if you ran a marathon or went to Europe, so shut up. However, if you've done something that shows me your dedication to oral surgery and/or hard work (yeah, a marathon is hard but people who do them like to run--no one loves tooth calls at 3:00am) tell me. Your goal with the statement is to convince me that you're going to work hard so I don't have to pick up your slack AND to make me like you (not make me feel sorry for you, a popular theme last year). I'm a narcissist and have obsessive compulsive personality disorder (DSM-IV verified). I like other people who think the same (omsres for example), if that helps.

Your combinations of numbers and connections will get you an interview. Some extracurriculars can help get the interview, as can an externship (both of these make up for dings in the numbers). Externships and personal statements can also both block an interview. If you are a tool don't expect an interview from your externship. If you don't interview anywhere you externed, you're a tool--get a clue. If your personal statement is bad, filled with cliches, sob storries, or touchy-feely crap, don't expect many interviews.

More important than getting the interview is the actual interview. Once you're here you're equal to everyone else. Whipe that #1, 4.0, 99/100 smile off your face b/c I don't care anymore. I'm trying to answer one question when I interview you: do I like this person? All I'm trying to do is rank each of you according to how much I like you. Therefore, be cool. Also, be confident but not arrogant. IF YOU ARE A MAN DO NOT, FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS HOLY, TELL ME YOUR HOBBY IS SHOPPING. Do not bore me with your hobbies if I have no interest in them. Don't sit there like a bump on a log. Don't force me to talk all the time, but you don't need to talk all the time either. Don't discuss politics with me unless you love God, mamma, apple pie, and GW Bush (this applies in the south, in the north feel free to discuss the benefits of communism).

Finally, a word for the ladies. If this offends you, please PM me so I can cross you off my list. The following is reality--get over it. When you come to interview understand that I think you're either real cool, like one of the boys, immature/dorky, or a real bitch. In my opinion, those are the only types of girls in medicine. I don't like bitches or immature dorky girls. Girls, be confident on your interview but don't even let me think you have an once of women's lib in you. You figure it out.

It's ounce. I have my red pen out. Just joking with you!

:thumbup: I received my first interview invitation last Wednesday from Case Western Reserve University. After talking with the nice lady, I found out that they only invite 24 applicants for two spots. They have two two-day interview dates, one at the end of October and the second 2-day interview at the middle of November.

12 applicants have been scheduled for the end of October interview (1st group) already and I am one of 12 in the 2nd group in middle of Nov. When I received the call on Wednesday, I was the 5th person she had called and accepted the interview invite out of the 2nd interview group. I also learned that CWRU OMFS will use the point system to evaluate their invited applicants. At the end, applicants are ranked by number of points earned.

I am very excited to have received my first interview with CWRU, just hope more will follow. Stay tuned...

How about my Gophers at the Big House this weekend, huh? I was at the game and ****, was that a great game! :thumbup:

Yah-E said:
:thumbup: I received my first interview invitation last Wednesday from Case Western Reserve University. After talking with the nice lady, I found out that they only invite 24 applicants for two spots. They have two two-day interview dates, one at the end of October and the second 2-day interview at the middle of November.

12 applicants have been scheduled for the end of October interview (1st group) already and I am one of 12 in the 2nd group in middle of Nov. When I received the call on Wednesday, I was the 5th person she had called and accepted the interview invite out of the 2nd interview group. I also learned that CWRU OMFS will use the point system to evaluate their invited applicants. At the end, applicants are ranked by number of points earned.

I am very excited to have received my first interview woth CWRU, just hope more will follow. Stay tuned...

How about my Gophers at the Big House this weekend, huh? I was at the game and ****, was that a great game! :thumbup:

Congratulations Yah-E. Case is a great school. I wonder what this point system takes into consideration. For example, does it include class rank, board scores, interview, etc? Or is it more based strictly on the interview - meaning that all 24 people that made the initial cut are on equal footing?

Also, andy, are you concerned at all that case is an MD program and your undergrad GPA wasn't so hot. Do MD programs look more into your undergrad GPA?

I liked CWRU when I was there. The residents, for the most part, seemed to be pretty solid guys and were fun to hang out with. I actually missed my flight the morning after the interview due to staying out a little too late boozing with them. Here are some of the things I liked:

1. You take call from home if you live nearby.
2. Good amount of cosmetics.
3. Good group of residents.
4. 5-year program.

Some of the things I didn't like:

1. Level II Trauma center--not going to get the action of a Level I.
2. Have to take the USMLE before starting the residency July 1--so much for a break after graduating from dental school.
3. Expensive medical school.

Here's the nugget: Dr. Quereshy will ask you at the end of the interview, "Tell me in 30 seconds why I should take you in my residency." That's not the easiest question to answer when put on the spot. Now you'll have a chance to wow him...

SuperTrooper said:
Congratulations Yah-E. Case is a great school. I wonder what this point system takes into consideration. For example, does it include class rank, board scores, interview, etc? Or is it more based strictly on the interview - meaning that all 24 people that made the initial cut are on equal footing?

Also, andy, are you concerned at all that case is an MD program and your undergrad GPA wasn't so hot. Do MD programs look more into your undergrad GPA?

Supposely all 24 of us should be on equal ground, but I'm sure someone out of us 24 have already earned "unofficial points" or preference like applicants that had done an externship at CWRU and/or dental students that will graduate from CWRU dental.

Looking at current CWRU OMFS resident profiles in the last three years, each year, one of those two spots were taken by a CWRU dental school graduate. Based on that statistic alone, one can assume that one of those spots is usually preserved/preferenced for a CWRU dental graduate. I know many OMFS residency programs do this, it is not said "officially", but often done or "just worked out that way". I know that Nova OMFS does this, one of two spots is often takened by a Nova dental graduate.

Now this point system, I know University of Minnesota OMFS does this point system as well. Each and every invited applicant is evaluated on certain categories such as, but not limit to:

NBDE Part I scores
Class ranking
Leadership Involvement
Research Potential
Externships
Interview Impression

(Hypothetical) Applicants can earn up to 10 points in each category. For example in the NBDE Part I category, if an applicant has a 90 on Part I, then that particular applicant will receive a 5/10 score for that category. As each point goes up beyond a 90, then a point will be added to the 5/10 score. If an applicant has a 89, then (s)he will receive a 4/10 for that category (each point below a 90, a point will be subtracted from the 5/10 score).

A faculty at Univ. of Minnesota OMFS said and explained to me during my externship there:

"Your goal is not to earn a zero in any of the categories!"
"Have at least some leadership experience, have some research, etc."

Points then will be added and everyone who interviewed you will have their total scores. Total scores may be averaged, maybe the highest three total scores will be averaged, there are so many possibilities and ways of ranking the applicants. We just don't know exactly?

Now with my undergraduate grades, you bet I'll be concerned when the Medical School admissions look at them during my interview. I just received my CWRU OMFS interview itinerary today and the first day of the two-day interview is with the Medical School. Due to my low undergraduate GPA, if there is any "potential points" in an Undergraduate GPA category, my points earned for that category will be low. If I have low points in the Undergraduate GPA category, then hopefully I earn higher/more points in the other categories....you see, everything balances out.

This interview invitation had made me think, since there are so many "qualified" OMFS applicants that had applied to CWRU OMFS and Dr. Quereshy (Residency Director) selected me as one of 24 to interview, he must thought that I may have a chance with the CWRU Medical School or why else would he invite me? I don't know what PASS print outs OMFS programs had received, but I'm sure the undergraduate GPA is clearly shown on the front page.

To be bluntly honest, do I believe I'll get ranked high and match at CWRU based on my credentials out of the 24 of us, "no"! But, this interview invitation is more of a "moral" victory for me because I know now something on my application did impress Dr. Quereshy for him to select me to interview out of hundreds of applications he had reviewed! I now just hope more program directors have the same sentiment.

When I interviewed at Case a few years ago, we didn't have a "med school" portion of the interview that I remember. It seemed that most places do that as a "courtesy interview" for the med school. They take whoever the OMFS program gives them because they're usually top-notch students. There are exceptions, of course, such as Mayo when I externed there years ago.

toofache32 said:
When I interviewed at Case a few years ago, we didn't have a "med school" portion of the interview that I remember. It seemed that most places do that as a "courtesy interview" for the med school. They take whoever the OMFS program gives them because they're usually top-notch students. There are exceptions, of course, such as Mayo when I externed there years ago.
yeah, Mayo is ghey.

drhobie7 said:
What do you know/heard about ucla oms? i heard it's pretty chill.

My point in my reply was that UCLA also has a medical school component when you interview for the omfs spots.

Doggie said:
My point in my reply was that UCLA also has a medical school component when you interview for the omfs spots.

ah.

How is the interview at Mayo? Does your medical school interview take a large portion of you interview time? What did they do that your didn't like?
What type of questions did they ask, both the med school and the program?

on the PASS sheet it lists your undergrad schools, and their respective gpas, it lists your dental schools and the gpa recieved for each year, and there is a field of overall gpa from dental school.

Battlesign said:
How is the interview at Mayo? Does your medical school interview take a large portion of you interview time? What did they do that your didn't like?

The interview process was one on one with about 4 attendings for ~20 minutes each. Pros: Mayo helped cover my hotel stay, awesome hospital, Mayo rep, lots of attendings, med school is free and they pay you. Cons: you might get frostbite, Rochester didnt appear singles friendly, year 1,2,3 med school, the OMFS surgical experience is very split (intern->3 years med school-> gen surg-> chief year. The med school interview was with two different people for about 30 minutes each. Pretty easy questions. Apparently it does matter as the program director says the med school gives the thumbs down on several people each year. Of other concern, the rumor that the attendings let you cut less than 50% of each case and case volume.

Extraction said:
Of other concern, the rumor that the attendings let you cut less than 50% of each case and case volume.
Private patients = no resident cutting. This isn't a bad thing to inquire about at the programs when you interview. Obviously, if your child were having surgery (and you were paying for it), you wouldn't want a resident doing the case. On the other hand, public hospitals which treat the low income, Medicaid patients tend to have more opportunity for residents to do a lot of the cutting.

OMFSCardsFan said:
Private patients = no resident cutting. This isn't a bad thing to inquire about at the programs when you interview. Obviously, if your child were having surgery (and you were paying for it), you wouldn't want a resident doing the case. On the other hand, public hospitals which treat the low income, Medicaid patients tend to have more opportunity for residents to do a lot of the cutting.

Which I why I am at a public institution and county hospital.......... In my opinion, a stipend for 6 years is not worth it, if you don't get to cut. :D

Yah-E said:
:thumbup:

Right up front wit you all, I would be very shocked and surprised if I end up receiving an interview from the following applied programs: (mainly due to the two reasons listed above)

1) Case Western Reserve

Bottom line, if I receive an interview from any of the above 10 programs, I will be celebrating like it's 1999!

Andy: Are you celebrating like it's 1999!?

jk5177 said:
Andy: Are you celebrating like it's 1999!?

I couldn't believe it that I earned an interview from Case! I did in fact celebrated like it was 1999! :thumbup: I was very fortunate to be selected. This goes to show that you never know who will invite you. Some of the programs that I thought I would receive an interview, I didn't yet, and for Case that I never thought I would have a chance, I now do....

Andy, how many do you have now? I though you got one before Case or is Case it for now?

Battlesign said:

This is a thread Hijack-I'm apologizing in advance. Sorry Yahe. Since your not interviewing where I'm at I can't make it up to you by buying you a saspirilla or A&W root beer or something.

A good friend of mine went to Mayo and practices in Duluth, Minnesota. His partner went to Minnesota. Both are grads of Minnesota dental school. He said his lowly 4 year trained partner was a better surgeon than any of his attendings at Mayo. He said they do a ton of weird crap at mayo. They get sent all of these zebra cases. They don't cut much. With Minnesota just north, Iowa just south, and Gunderson Lutheran (all three programs within a couple away) just east and plenty of private practice OMFS's in town, they don't get your run of the mill OMFS. Crazy TMJ cases from heaven knows where. Very academic place. Lots of other residencies and fellowships at Mayo crowding the scope of practice. If you go there, I'll refer all the TMJ patients to you :) I did like Southern Minnesota-beautiful if you're not one of these whimps who can't handle a little cold.

esclavo said:
This is a thread Hijack-I'm apologizing in advance. Sorry Yahe. Since your not interviewing where I'm at I can't make it up to you by buying you a saspirilla or A&W root beer or something.

A good friend of mine went to Mayo and practices in Duluth, Minnesota. His partner went to Minnesota. Both are grads of Minnesota dental school. He said his lowly 4 year trained partner was a better surgeon than any of his attendings at Mayo. He said they do a ton of weird crap at mayo. They get sent all of these zebra cases. They don't cut much. With Minnesota just north, Iowa just south, and Gunderson Lutheran (all three programs within a couple away) just east and plenty of private practice OMFS's in town, they don't get your run of the mill OMFS. Crazy TMJ cases from heaven knows where. Very academic place. Lots of other residencies and fellowships at Mayo crowding the scope of practice. If you go there, I'll refer all the TMJ patients to you :) I did like Southern Minnesota-beautiful if you're not one of these whimps who can't handle a little cold.

Thats why I think some weak programs are just "oral surgery", whereas
the good ones encompass the full scope, "oral and maxillofacial surgery"

The attendings at Mayo are as good as any other attendings that I have seen. The scope of practice is very good. They do get alot of the mainstream OMFS. This is my experience. I did an extership at Mayo, and I know of some surgeons who trained at Mayo. I did externships at several places.

WestCoast said:
Thats why I think some weak programs are just "oral surgery", whereas
the good ones encompass the full scope, "oral and maxillofacial surgery"

Reminds me of one of my attendings, when he hears an interviewie call the profession "oral surgery" or talk too much about teeth in the interview, they get a scathing score...FYI

Yah-E, did you get interviews in New Orleans and Cook County?

tx oms said:
Yah-E, did you get interviews in New Orleans and Cook County?
Yes, I did! I'm pretty pumped! Your essay editing helped, I'm sure! ;)

Yah-E said:
Yes, I did! I'm pretty pumped! Your essay editing helped, I'm sure! ;)

So where are you standing now in regards to interviews? Have you gone to any yet or waiting to go?