My phlebotomy job is getting to be more than I can tolerate. How long should you work at a clinical job to prevent looking like a "quitter"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RespectTheChemistry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am getting to be busier than I can handle. It's just too much and I don't want to risk my GPA!

After an assessment of my commitments, I think my phlebotomy job is the thing to go.

I've only been working at the phlebotomy job for five months. It's not my only clinical experience. I've been a hospice volunteer 9 years now and a children's hospital volunteer for 3 (4 by application time). I got the phlebotomy job because it seems like all the people who get acceptances have had a clinical job.

How true is the idea that it's a weak spot on your application if you *don't* have a clinical job?

Does working at a clinical job for five months make me look like someone who has a habit of quitting stuff? Goro said I have adequate clinical experience, so I have that going for me at least.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am getting to be busier than I can handle. It's just too much and I don't want to risk my GPA!

After an assessment of my commitments, I think my phlebotomy job is the thing to go.

I've only been working at the phlebotomy job for five months. It's not my only clinical experience. I've been a hospice volunteer 9 years now and a children's hospital volunteer for 3 (4 by application time). I got the phlebotomy job because it seems like all the people who get acceptances have had a clinical job.

How true is the idea that it's a weak spot on your application if you *don't* have a clinical job?

Does working at a clinical job for five months make me look like someone who has a habit of quitting stuff? Goro said I have adequate clinical experience, so I have that going for me at least.
You can leave this position after giving notice. You'll be fine. You have enough clinical and longitudinal experiences with your other activities. I have not seen an adcom member fault an applicant for not having a clinical job >1 year. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: 2 users
You can leave this position after giving notice. You'll be fine. You have enough clinical and longitudinal experiences with your other activities. I have not seen an adcom member fault an applicant for not having a clinical job >1 year. Just my thoughts.

Thank you, Moko! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve never had a clinical job (though I’ve done clinical volunteering) and it hasn’t held me back in either cycle that I’ve applied.

As far as the question in your title, 6 months is usually enough to avoid looking like a quitter but it’s better to have two different years for start and end imo

Quit!

I had a caretaker job where the work was grueling, the pay was terrible, and the administration was even worse. I left after 3 weeks and found an EMT job that paid $5 more per hour, only thing I regret was not leaving sooner.