My Story - Anatomy + Neuro Major -> Photography -> Premed -> Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnotherGasMan

Anaesthetic Advanced Trainee Australia
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd post a story of where I am and where i'm headed.

Dual citizen - Australia + USA.

In Australia
1999 Graduated Highschool

2000-2002 Studied a double degree of B. Science + B. Engineering (dropped the Engineering due to conflicts with the department)

2003-2004 - Graduated B.Science (Anatomy)
Couldn't find a post grad course I was interested in so applied for Physiotherapy course around the country. As a lark I also applied to a B. Arts (Photography) - one of the most competitive courses in the country.
Was accepted into a B.Physio course as well as the B.Arts (Photography) course. I decided that as it was as competitive as Medicine to get into that I would give it a shot.

2005-2007 - Graduate B.Arts (Photography) which included a six month exchange to NYC. Fell in love with photography, though looking back I think I fell in love with the lifestyle more. Freedom it is. Stability it is not. Perfect for a 25-27y/o.

In USA

2008-June 2009 - Worked as a photo assistant in Melbourne Australia. It was a great time, but I yearned to go back to NYC. Melbourne didn't have the same energy. (The woman loved left and went to NYC in August 2008, compounding reason to move)

June 2009 - June 2010 - Worked as a photo assistant in NYC. Have had a great life and lived it large, so to speak. Met a woman who is a doctor who reinvigorated my interest in things medical. Had enough of the photographic industry and most of what it involves.

June 2010 - Dec 2010 - Continued to work as a photo assistant and researched options to go back to school and study to become a doctor. The options I saw before me were as follows:

My GPA is hard to calculate due to having done subjects in two degrees, four of those subjects were completed in the USA. None of the three universities use the same grading scale. It is somewhere between 2.83 with 242.5 credits.

I turn 30y/o early October 2011.
My current financial position is ~$10k debt due to schooling in Australia.

Study in USA
1. Complete 3 subjects left of pre-med and improve my GPA
- Chemistry
- English
- Organic Chemistry
(Having already completed most of the others during my first degree in Anatomy)

+ Sit MCAT and apply to USA med schools.

Study in Australia
1. Complete 1 subject left for Graduate entry into medicine at University of Melbourne and improve my GPA.
- Biochemistry
+ sit GAMSAT (aust version of MCAT)

2. Sit GAMSAT and apply for all other graduate entry Medicine programs in australia (none of which have prerequisite subjects).

So I have done the following:

Study in USA
- Applied to Post Bach Premed programs in NYC and been accepted at Brooklyn College. Taking English and Chemistry Fall 2011.

Study in Australia
- Applied, been accepted and deferred placement in B.Science at University of Melbourne in order to complete Biochemistry. Course will start Jan 2012.
- Taken the GAMSAT - scored 69 which placed me in the top 96% of all those sitting the exam.
- Applied to other graduate entry programs for 2012 entry. Offers of interview are posted mid to late August 2011, interviews late September and offers in November 2011.

About to finish off NY State EMT-B certification (exam on 18th August). Mostly as a resume filler, but also to work in during pre-med subjects and generate contacts within the hospitals in NYC.

Which brings us to now.

My personal preference emotionally is to stay in the USA.
The pros of USA study are:
- study in the region in which I intend to practice.
- Not going back to Australia as I have made a life for myself in NYC.

The cons of USA study are:
- cost. ~$200k for USA study vs ~$50k for Australian study.
- longer time period (if accepted into Aus med school I would have 4 years of school. In USA I still have ~2 years to complete the pre-requisite subjects + 4 years med school)

I'm holding my breath re the interviews in Australia, knowing that financially it makes more sense to return to Aus, study med school and then sit the USMLE and return to the USA for residency. Hopefully do some clinical rotations in the USA during med school. Emotionally I would rather stay in the USA, my heart is here and here is where I intend to practice when finished with school.

I'll keep this thread updated with my journey and see where I end up.

If you've got any questions about applying for med school in Australia, I can probably answer them, especially as a non-trad (or Graduate entry or Mature Age Student as it's called in Australia).

Lucas

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Update - Completed NY State EMT-B certification. Straight forward for anyone with a logical mind and some medical and anatomy background.

It can count for college credit in some cases.

Super Update

I got an interview offer at Deakin university medicine.

Looking into how to work this into working in the US.

Members don't see this ad :)
uhhh, this gif is way overdue:

cool-story-bro.jpg

Currently studying for end of first semester exams.

Trying to make the Australian content match up to the USMLE. not super easy as first semester first year is a bunch of disjointed topics.