DO My time has come! Applying in May!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aj42DO

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, hope you're having some happy holidays! No better way to spend winter break than figuring out my school list to apply in May. I am targeting mainly DO schools, and want to keep my total school list reasonable to save on app fees. So as of December...

Stats:
cGPA: 3.4, sGPA: 3.2 (my AACOMAS gpa calculations)
507 MCAT (C/P 128; CARS 127; BB 128; Psych 124)
Oregon Resident, White boy, Go Beavs! Chemical Engineer w/History minor
Clinical:
volunteer scribe/orderly at hometown free clinic, 350ish hours
Volunteerism:
Cold-weather mens homeless shelter, worked in kitchen for hot dinners and like overnight watch, 300 hours*
Afternoon counselor at Boys and Girls club, watched kids, coached sport teams, tutoring for classes, 2 years
Park maintenance for city parks, 100 - 150 hours*
Inter-fraternity and sorority philanthropy events*
*volunteerism will definitely continue, its hard to keep a schedule at Boys/Girls club/drive to my hometown cause coursework is starting to get very intense
Research and Work:
1. Biochem Department studying motor proteins, 800 hours/1.5 years, received a grant to work/research over summer, and presented my poster project my university's summer research conference
2. Vet school/Pharmacology/O Chem, deriving drug treatments for infectious diseases, 100 hours
3. R&D intern at a national Animal health company - did process engineering, a lot of immunological/molecular assays, worked with farm animals, 1000ish hours, was a 6 month Co-op internship
4? Looking for another one with more of an engineering focus, maybe CFD or Aerospace
Shadowing:
75 hours with a Family Med (DO) and former army doc
8 hours each with Opth, Gen Surg, Heme/Onc, Ob/Gyn, Peds, and Radiology
Other Stuff:
Army ROTC for two years - won basic awards like GPA and Physical test, was cadet of the quarter one term, won a fellowship to spend a summer in Africa (didn't actually get to go though)
Fraternity member for 3 years, was treasurer, community service chair
Organic Chemistry Tutor
Pre-SOMA, Model UN, AIChE
Personally like to read, run, lift weights, fish when its nice out

School List:
MD:
OHSU (state school)
USUHS
Loyala Stritch

DO:
Alabama COM
AT Still - Kirksville and AZ
Burrell
Campbell
Edward Via - Auburn, Carolinas, and VA
Idaho
Incarnate Word
LECOM
Lincoln Memorial
Midwestern - Chicago and AZ
PCOM
PNWU
Rocky Vista
Tuoro - CA and NV
Western - Lebanon and Pomona
WVSOM

My family is from the South, the piedmont and lower Appalachia regions, so I'd like to go back if possible. I also like the PNW since I am from here. I have three LORs so far (DO, Ochem professor, Internship boss) and am looking for one or two more.
I think my biggest red flags are definitely the 124 subsection score and subpar GPA. I am for sure focusing on my efforts on raising my GPA. Any help you can offer will be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

You are competitive for all the DO schools on your list and should receive many interviews. Your state MD school is your most likely possibility for a MD interview.