Would I may have II coming ? And should I come back school to get my BS ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kathy2511

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
In 2015, during my last quarter of college, I lost someone significant to me and could not finish the last term to receive my BS. I fail the MCAT that cycle ( 23/45). Then, I worked and later made my ways to pharmacy school. However, my love with medicine went up and down during my pharmacy school, and got so big in my rotation years. I just finished pharmacy school this May/2019 and decided to apply this cycle.
I am Asian, and CA resident.
MCAT: 5/19 498 (127/121/126/124)
8/19 501 (126/121/127/127) English is my second language.

GPA/sGPA: 3.63 /3.6 ( pharmacy GPA)

Lots of clinical experience, non-clinical volunteer, leadership and outreach activities.
I participated in three international health care experience and medical missions.
One research project. Strong LOR from both MD and faculty.
Interesting EC.

I applied 24 MD/ 20 DO. Finished most my secondary near Labor day. I am not sure if I have a chance in MD schools, but receive secondary from some school with holistic review gave me hope.
Would I may have a chance for MD schools ? I truly don't care MD or DO, I just want to get in. I know it's still early in the cycle, but just want to have some opinions.

As saying, I have no BS degree. I am thinking of coming back school for it ( only miss one physic lab to complete), but at the same time I want to ask if any non tradition have experience to share with me. I am really broke after all the application fee, and the student loans is coming. So if it would be possible to save some, I would rather do it.

Also, would it be wise to start prepare for the MCAT ? I really don't think I would go anywhere with that CARS score. The CARS doesn't click in to me, but I can try to get higher score in other sections.

Thanks for reading !!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I believe that your MCAT score puts you at a disadvantage for MD schools because you are not URM in medicine. I read a statistic somewhere that average MCAT score for Asian is around 511-512. But it doesnt hurt to apply to MD schools, as you have strong clinical background and good LORs. I do believe that DO schools are within your reach and you will get several invitations for sure.

Reactions: 1 user
I can’t speak to the not having a BS, but I now go to an MD school with a similar MCAT score. I think it largely depends on what the school is looking for.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would think that MCAT score is lethal for all MD, but of course am not an expert. I would also think the CARS sub-section score is also lethal at most DO schools.

I believe that your MCAT score puts you at a disadvantage for MD schools because you are not URM in medicine. I read a statistic somewhere that average MCAT score for Asian is around 511-512. But it doesnt hurt to apply to MD schools, as you have strong clinical background and good LORs. I do believe that DO schools are within your reach and you will get several invitations for sure.
Thank you for the encouragement :)

Which MD schools did you apply to ?
Which DO schools did you apply to ?
For MD:
I got secondaries and finished these schools:
UC Davis
Cal University of Science and Medicine
Loma Linda
UCLA Geffen
Arizona Tucson - Phoenix
Oregon
TCU and UNTHSC SOM
Baylor
Central Michigan
Georgia at Augusta Uni

For DO: Sorry, I don't know much about the abbreviation of the school, so I try my best
I got secondaries and finished these schools:
Arizona Midwestern
PCOM (both)
NOVA
Ohio Heritage
Lake Erie (both campus)
Touro Nevada
UIW
CHSU
ATSU -SOMA
LMU- DCOM
COMP (both)
WVSOM

Thank you for helping out. If you think I should add more schools, please let me know :)

I suggest applying to more DO schools this week and include these:
BCOM
ARCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
CUSOM
VCOM (all 4 schools)
ACOM
UP-KYCOM
WCU-COM

I suggest applying to more DO schools this week and include these:
BCOM