NAPLEX & MPJE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmgirl0770

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I promised that when I was done with the Naplex and MPJE, I would write one of these to talk about my experience because I basically lived on these forums before I took my tests. Sorry in advance that this will be long.

First, MPJE. I took the Illinois MPJE, so I can only speak to that. I gave myself about a week and a half to study for it, which I felt was enough time for me. I didn't go to school in Illinois, but I took Dr. Rickert's review class and only studied from his notes. Overall, I felt like this was enough and wouldn't even know where to begin studying. Without his notes, so I would highly recommend this. I still left the test feeling like I failed, but I don't think there is much more that I could have done to study for it. And I did end up passing.

Naplex, on the other hand, was significantly tougher than I expected. I really don't think it's a minimum competency exam, or at least not anymore since the 2016 updates. I studied for about 2 1/2 weeks 24/7, slept for maybe 4-6 hours a night, which I do not recommend! My job provided me with RxPrep and 6 months of online access to the lectures and quizzes. Since I heard so much about how this exam isn't that difficult, I didn't take advantage of all of that as much as I should have. I went through the whole book once, but I didn't feel like I retained that much. I watched some of the lectures and took notes, but never went over those notes because I ran out of time. I didn't do prenaplex either because I was nervous about not doing well and losing confidence. I only went over rxprep math once and stats once. I didn't even do all of the online rxprep math quizzes, and I didn't do the SDN 200 questions. I figured I've always been good at math and would be fine. Overall, I think calculations is what saved my test, so like everyone says, if you can do calculations in your sleep you should be fine. Also, I heard from many people that their test was HIV/onc mostly. I didn't have a single HIV or onc question, which made me think I failed. I had tons of ID though which is my worst subject. I left the test thinking I failed. I couldn't stop crying for 4 days until scores came out, and I started planing the next step for when I would find out that I failed. I kept remembering different questions I got wrong and several stupid mistakes that I made. Well yesterday, I found out I passed. Thank goodness! But this test is very hard in my opinion, and you really have no idea what they will throw at you, so I think every chapter in rxprep is important! If you guys have any questions, feel free to reach out to me. I hope this helps someone, and sorry again that it's so long, I just wanted to cover everything!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,

I promised that when I was done with the Naplex and MPJE, I would write one of these to talk about my experience because I basically lived on these forums before I took my tests. Sorry in advance that this will be long.

First, MPJE. I took the Illinois MPJE, so I can only speak to that. I gave myself about a week and a half to study for it, which I felt was enough time for me. I didn't go to school in Illinois, but I took Dr. Rickert's review class and only studied from his notes. Overall, I felt like this was enough and wouldn't even know where to begin studying. Without his notes, so I would highly recommend this. I still left the test feeling like I failed, but I don't think there is much more that I could have done to study for it. And I did end up passing.

Naplex, on the other hand, was significantly tougher than I expected. I really don't think it's a minimum competency exam, or at least not anymore since the 2016 updates. I studied for about 2 1/2 weeks 24/7, slept for maybe 4-6 hours a night, which I do not recommend! My job provided me with RxPrep and 6 months of online access to the lectures and quizzes. Since I heard so much about how this exam isn't that difficult, I didn't take advantage of all of that as much as I should have. I went through the whole book once, but I didn't feel like I retained that much. I watched some of the lectures and took notes, but never went over those notes because I ran out of time. I didn't do prenaplex either because I was nervous about not doing well and losing confidence. I only went over rxprep math once and stats once. I didn't even do all of the online rxprep math quizzes, and I didn't do the SDN 200 questions. I figured I've always been good at math and would be fine. Overall, I think calculations is what saved my test, so like everyone says, if you can do calculations in your sleep you should be fine. Also, I heard from many people that their test was HIV/onc mostly. I didn't have a single HIV or onc question, which made me think I failed. I had tons of ID though which is my worst subject. I left the test thinking I failed. I couldn't stop crying for 4 days until scores came out, and I started planing the next step for when I would find out that I failed. I kept remembering different questions I got wrong and several stupid mistakes that I made. Well yesterday, I found out I passed. Thank goodness! But this test is very hard in my opinion, and you really have no idea what they will throw at you, so I think every chapter in rxprep is important! If you guys have any questions, feel free to reach out to me. I hope this helps someone, and sorry again that it's so long, I just wanted to cover everything!
I just took the NAPLEX today and feel horrible. I can only hope I passed. This test is not "easy," as I have heard so many times before. Thank you for your comment, I know u am not alone.

Yeah I'm with you. I took it a few days ago and I definitely didn't feel good. I felt like there's no way to even come close to passing it without studying. The questions were ridiculous. Hope we all end up licensed!

Hi all,

Congratulations on passing the NAPLEX!!!! I agree that this test is hard and all of RxPrep is important as well. I am sooo relieved to just recently find out that I passed as well! But now I am concerned about passing the Illinois MPJE seeing that it is now 120 questions. Would you be willing to share the notes that you received from Dr. Rickert? Did you study from his 2016 packet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations on passing the NAPLEX!!!! I agree that this test is hard and all of RxPrep is important as well. I am sooo relieved to just recently find out that I passed as well! But now I am concerned about passing the Illinois MPJE seeing that it is now 120 questions. Would you be willing to share the notes that you received from Dr. Rickert? Did you study from his 2016 packet?
Super Congrats on the MPJE too!!☺️

I can't share the notes I got because they are copywritten, but if you email him at [email protected] then you can probably buy a pdf version of it!

Hi all,

Thank you so much for posting! I have a couple of questions - I've been really discouraged after trying the RXPrep test bank ID questions - I scored about 65 on both
of them. I could improve with memorizing each datail of each regimen 100% - but I have many more chapters to study!

So need to know how those questions compare with the NAPLEX questions, in terms of difficulty - thank you for your help!

Hi all,

CONGRATULATIONS Pharmgirl, and thank you for posting! Have a question - I read the ID chapters of RxPrep carefully twice, then took the quizzes - and
did like 65% on both of them - think I would need to totally memorize ALL the drug regimens to do better.

Wondering - how the text bank questions compare with the NAPLEX QUESTIONS - are they that bad??? I have the rest of the book to get through!!! Thanks for your opinions on this -

Wondering how the RxPrep quiz bank, particularly ID, seemed - compared to NAPLEX? I did really poorly on the quizzes for ID, even after carefully
reading the ID chapters. Did you do the quizzes?

I think I did the quizzes as far as I remember, but to be honest, ID is one of my worst subjects so to me it's all hard. Maybe look at quizlet to see if you can find flash cards for some of the ID things that people have made. That could be helpful. I regret not doing that when I was studying

Hi all,

where did you go to check your naplex score. I am a bit confused if you check on NABP or continental testing