NAPLEX pass rate 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

297point1

Breaking kayfabe
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
National first time pass rate for 2022: 79.6%

Down another ~4% from last year.

Schools have received their program-specific performance results.

Good gravy...those admissions decisions during the 2017-2018 cycle don't look so hot now. And it is going to get worse before it gets better.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
National first time pass rate for 2022: 79.6%

Down another ~4% from last year.

Schools have received their program-specific performance results.

Good gravy...those admissions decisions during the 2017-2018 cycle don't look so hot now. And it is going to get worse before it gets better.

I remember when anything sub 90% was ridiculed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m going to be honest I didn’t even really study and passed with flying color. I was a mid pack student. All I did was actually study for my grades in school. It’s not that hard of a test guys…..

So why aren't more pharmacy schools closing? Is there some sort of standoff where a school is hoping their competitor closes first and they can take market share and their competitor is thinking the same thing?

Reactions: 1 user
So why aren't more pharmacy schools closing? Is there some sort of standoff where a school is hoping their competitor closes first and they can take market share and their competitor is thinking the same thing?
State schools (except the cash only ones) consider the pharmacy undergraduate a loss leader. We have to operate it to allow ourselves to make the real money in research. Some pharmacy schools, Florida comes to mind, would immediately jettison their undergraduate program if they could as the faculty are notoriously contemptuous of them. No idea on private schools beyond what you know (one’s born every minute).

They are a cash cow. Prepharms don't do any research or think they'll all get unicorn jobs. The government keeps handing out student loans like candy and teases loan forgiveness.

They are a cash cow. Prepharms don't do any research or think they'll all get unicorn jobs. The government keeps handing out student loans like candy and teases loan forgiveness.
They are a cash cow at 150 students, but when you have 50 students, or 25 students how do the numbers work out? Twenty five students paying $50,000 in tuition is only 1.25 million.

American University had a 21% pass rate? Wow, that is terrible!

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
The govt doesn’t give a **** about students. If they did they wouldn’t have such a high interest if at all

The govt doesn’t give a **** about students. If they did they wouldn’t have such a high interest if at all

That's why there are so many pharmacy schools.

How is the job market for pharmacist?

Is salary still at 130k+?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure if they hire you full time AND promise $62.50 per hour but that’s not really the starting salary these days ….
What the starting salary for places like Walgreens, CVS, Walmart?

Is there some sort of standoff where a school is hoping their competitor closes first and they can take market share and their competitor is thinking the same thing?
You have no idea how right you are; this scenario is playing out in at least five geographic markets right now where there are two (or more) private programs each waiting for their competition to close.

Reactions: 3 users
They are a cash cow at 150 students, but when you have 50 students, or 25 students how do the numbers work out? Twenty five students paying $50,000 in tuition is only 1.25 million.
X3 or X4 classes. So 50 * 4 is a viable number in many cases. That said, the minimum viable budget for personnel and space is around $9-13M right now.

@Dred Pirate
I think this is for public consumption.

There's a further report that we get on the subject areas. Candidates still can't add apparently despite the serious warnings about calculations being important in the exam.

X3 or X4 classes. So 50 * 4 is a viable number in many cases. That said, the minimum viable budget for personnel and space is around $9-13M right now.

@Dred Pirate

There's a further report that we get on the subject areas. Candidates still can't add apparently despite the serious warnings about calculations being important in the exam.
How much do you really round in practice? That’s what trips students up is all that different rounding in each question and not reading carefully

@Dred Pirate

What has happened to pharmacy school? I remember getting into pharm school was competitive 12+ yrs ago. Most of these schools should be closed. Any school that has < 75% first-time passing rate in 3 consecutive years should be closed.

Amazing that the school with the highest passing rate is University of Puerto Rico.

Are they accepting people with no PCAT or people who score < 50 percentile?

Are they accepting people with no PCAT or people who score < 50 percentile?
Yes.

PCAT is being sunset in a few months; no more PCATs will be administered starting in the 2023-2024 admissions cycle. So few students were taking it (because so few schools were requiring it) that Pearson Corp is dropping it from their test offerings.

Yes.

PCAT is being sunset in a few months; no more PCATs will be administered starting in the 2023-2024 admissions cycle. So few students were taking it (because so few schools were requiring it) that Pearson Corp is dropping it from their test offerings.
Wow. What is the AphA doing?

Is pharmacy still prestigious?

unfortunately not really

obviously there are exceptions and some great pharmacists, but as a whole the profession has become a sort of stomping mat

unfortunately not really

obviously there are exceptions and some great pharmacists, but as a whole the profession has become a sort of stomping mat
I blame these new pharmacy schools that were approved with barely any criteria for admission. Then immature students prey on the smarter kids to bring them down and then the market gets filled with a bunch of idiots

State schools (except the cash only ones) consider the pharmacy undergraduate a loss leader. We have to operate it to allow ourselves to make the real money in research. Some pharmacy schools, Florida comes to mind, would immediately jettison their undergraduate program if they could as the faculty are notoriously contemptuous of them. No idea on private schools beyond what you know (one’s born every minute).
Private schools fall under two categories--stand alone or linked to a greater university. The former have no room for maneuver and have to make money. The latter have to make money, but the school may be more generous in margins and how long they are subsidized, also depends on the endowment. The days when prestige of a university fed into closing decisions, like dentistry in the 1980s, are long gone.
It's challenging to fill seats, but there are enough students, just not enough practice able ones. It's a sad scenario. Many pharmacy educators are coming to the end of their careers and are riding it until the end. New clinical people at marginal schools are seeking other employment. It's sad, because teaching is fun and research for clinical faculty was reasonable.
Ultimately, it depends on how strict the accreditation applies its standards in requiring costs be met, e.g. faculty ratios, and NAPLEX pass rates. The harpy in charge now has had the job since 2002 and something has to change.

@Dred Pirate

The private school I was associated with said they could pay the bills with 38 students. There were a few shared faculty.

Wow. What is the AphA doing?

I don't know that pharmacy was ever prestigious. Lucrative? Maybe. Hard to say it is prestigious when most people have no respect or reverence for your career.

I don't know that pharmacy was ever prestigious. Lucrative? Maybe. Hard to say it is prestigious when most people have no respect or reverence for your career.
It was prestigious 12+ yrs ago and I think still is.

If your Asian parent think you are not a failure if you are a pharmacist, it is prestigious by definition. Joking

People don’t have as much respect because pharmacists don’t stand up for themselves these days. How about everyone send Karen to the back of the line if she comes with them groceries.

If your Asian parent think you are not a failure if you are a pharmacist, it is prestigious by definition. Joking

You know what? I can't argue with this.

I had a chance to look at the passing rates today and it was pretty bad. I wasn't surprised to see the usual suspects coming in with new lows, but a lot of established schools had a massive drop in passing rates. I know we've had declining standards for years, but surely we can place some of the blame on the pandemic and remote learning.

I couldn't imagine trying to adapt to a full remote course in my second or third year of pharmacy school. Most of my professors were geriatric and barely able to manage a power point, the school itself was inflexible and conservative, and my mind starts to wander if I'm not fully engaged with a subject. It would have been a nightmare.

You have no idea how right you are; this scenario is playing out in at least five geographic markets right now where there are two (or more) private programs each waiting for their competition to close.
Which markets are these? SE and SW seem ok, not great.

unfortunately not really

We were both at the top of application competitiveness and could have done other things, but, frankly, I am not sure this profession ever had equal respect to others we work with. My professor did retail in the 80s and disliked it and got a PhD. Nursing, in and outpatient, is very catty when called.
Yes.

Yes.

I got a 98 percentile on that thing in the day...

Only got a 97%
sweet- I beat yall - 99% - how do you like them apples!

But I fully admit standardized tests don't have as good as prediction of success as some other things - I just have always been a good test taker - my sister (high school valedictorian) only scorred in like the 60% for her ACT