National Registry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cooperemtb

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well Next Wednesday is my final class for EMT-B which means I need to start getting ready for National Registry. I was hoping for some tips or hints to help me prepare for the practicals and/or written. Basically I know for practicals to go over check sheets like crazy and know them by heart, but like even methods of remembering things would help. For the written so far I've gathered to know terminology and situations, but if someone could elaborate or give hints that would be great. Thanks in advance.

-Cooper

Members don't see this ad.

Well Next Wednesday is my final class for EMT-B which means I need to start getting ready for National Registry. I was hoping for some tips or hints to help me prepare for the practicals and/or written. Basically I know for practicals to go over check sheets like crazy and know them by heart, but like even methods of remembering things would help. For the written so far I've gathered to know terminology and situations, but if someone could elaborate or give hints that would be great. Thanks in advance.

-Cooper

Learning Express' EMT-Basic Exam review book:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9781576854877&itm=1

Has 4 practice exams, runs you through each answer and why it's the answer...I used this to study for national registry and I got cut off at 70 questions, which is the best you could possibly do on the exam. I highly recommend this exam guide. Hope it helps!

Also, forgot to add this at first...you're welcome to PM me with any questions about the test, what's on it, etc....I took it back in June so it's still relatively fresh in my mind. :)

thanks, much appreciated and congrats on doing so well. I probobly swing by there tommorow after work. I'm not completely worried, I just wanna ace everything the 1st time, like u did :p

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks, much appreciated and congrats on doing so well. I probobly swing by there tommorow after work. I'm not completely worried, I just wanna ace everything the 1st time, like u did :p

Thanks man. I wouldn't worry about acing it too much, just make sure you're prepared enough to pass it...$70 is too much money to retake it again and most of what you learn is after class, so you're essentially being tested half on stuff you'll have to relearn in the field. For example, it's one thing to assess a "patient" in a classroom or take vitals on him...entirely different one assessing a real pt and trying to get a BP on an old person with crappy veins while the ambulance is bouncing around. Plus the patient scenarios in class were useless compared to the real world...you rarely have one straightforward thing going wrong with a patient, especially in the elderly. Hell, the call I ran tonight I had a 79 y/o male who presented with audible rales, SOB, with a history of COPD and CHF. C/C? I put SOB, but he refused his Lasix med this AM, which caused him to develop SOB w/71% O2 sat on room air at 2 PM, which only went up to 80% on 2 lpm O2 via NC that the SNF placed him on (if you're wondering why only 2 lpm on a 71% sat, 1. it's a SNF, don't expect any heroes :p and 2. pt had COPD and again, SNF nurses are stupid)...now the dispatch information was COPD exacerbation but actually it was a CHF-related issue, so more correctly it was SOB secondary to CHF exacerbation.

Although I wouldn't have known that unless my partner was a medic and knew to ask about whether the pt was on Lasix, and if so, whether he had taken his meds. No pedal edema or anything noteworthy in lung sounds either (outside the left upper lobe being diminished and lower lobes being absent), so unless I had a medic around, I wouldn't have had a damn clue what caused his SOB.

So yeah, just pass the stupid thing, you'll learn all the stuff you actually need to know (or in this case want to know, since this call just required treatment for SOB, not figuring out what caused it or anything) once you're working/volunteering anyway. :p

The test is really big on the order of things, so know your steps in order. They ask a lot of "which do you do first, open the airway, check a pulse, give 02, etc" Also really hammer on the CPIs on the practical (critical performance indicators), those things that if you miss you fail the station. Really focus on that. Also take a step back at the end of the scenario and see if there is anything you missed. Sometimes you can get back points if you say "oh, I would have checked CSMs before backboarding," but don't count on it.

Thanks :) yea, i went by and got that review book today, seems like a wise investment. I've already went through a few questions and i already feel a little fresher :-D thanks. I've got a little study group going now... are there any special ways to remember order of intubation or anything? It just seems like when I feel I know it i spend to much time thinking about stuff i had forgotten previously and forget or leave out some of the basics.

I took the EMT-B when I was in the Army at 19. That test was so easy I was falling asleep while taking it and still passed with a great score.

I took the EMT-B when I was in the Army at 19. That test was so easy I was falling asleep while taking it and still passed with a great score.

Well, then it's a good thing that they computerized it and made the test "smart" in the sense that it asks you increasingly harder questions everytime you answer one correctly. I'd hate to have to call 911 and the person who showed up didn't know what they were doing because the test to certify them was worthless.

Heres some feedback on the test from when I took it... a million years ago.

There were a lot of "whats the next step?" questions. ABCs from the top, is almost always the right answer, even if its already been addressed in the question stem.

I had a LOT of questions on "things I didnt really want to do anyway". A lot of questions on OB complications, crime scenes, child abuse.

hope that helps

Heres some feedback on the test from when I took it... a million years ago.

There were a lot of "whats the next step?" questions. ABCs from the top, is almost always the right answer, even if its already been addressed in the question stem.

I had a LOT of questions on "things I didnt really want to do anyway". A lot of questions on OB complications, crime scenes, child abuse.

hope that helps

It's completely different now that it's a computer adaptive test...I hear that in some ways, it's easier than the paper one, in other ways it's harder. The exam will not ask redundant questions such as that anymore; it'll ask you a question and then move on, or ask another question on the scenario with the answer you gave taken into account. I didn't notice too many questions on crime scenes or child abuse...there was maybe one or two. Seems like the CBT national registry exam is obsessed with OB and pediatric questions...there was a significant amount of these two categories compared to everything else. If I had to take national registry again, I would focus on OB and pediatrics the most and make sure that trauma/medical was also fresh in my head...ABCs are always a good place to start though!

It's completely different now that it's a computer adaptive test...I hear that in some ways, it's easier than the paper one, in other ways it's harder. The exam will not ask redundant questions such as that anymore; it'll ask you a question and then move on, or ask another question on the scenario with the answer you gave taken into account. I didn't notice too many questions on crime scenes or child abuse...there was maybe one or two. Seems like the CBT national registry exam is obsessed with OB and pediatric questions...there was a significant amount of these two categories compared to everything else. If I had to take national registry again, I would focus on OB and pediatrics the most and make sure that trauma/medical was also fresh in my head...ABCs are always a good place to start though!

Oh really? That sounds scary.
What about the NREMT-P test? I'll have to retake that one of these days. I had taken it in 2003.

Oh really? That sounds scary.
What about the NREMT-P test? I'll have to retake that one of these days. I had taken it in 2003.

Well, it was...interesting. Basically the big difference is it seems like the exam actively hates your guts and is trying to kill you. :p I'm not sure about the paramedic exam though...I know it's computer adaptive like the basic one, but I don't know if there's any specific differences on it. My friend will probably take his NREMT-P in a couple months, after he does I could relay what he had to say about it.

-Cooper

emtb.com has practice tests!

I'm not worried about the written half as much as the practicals right now. Is there an easier way to study for it rather than just go over check sheets. Like we have intubation as a practical and while i may know the checksheet... i still dont have a doll or anything to study with. Soo yea but I have some study groups set up so i should be in okay shape. Thanks so much the input and advice.

-Cooper

I'm not worried about the written half as much as the practicals right now. Is there an easier way to study for it rather than just go over check sheets. Like we have intubation as a practical and while i may know the checksheet... i still dont have a doll or anything to study with. Soo yea but I have some study groups set up so i should be in okay shape. Thanks so much the input and advice.

-Cooper

You have intubation for part of an EMT-B practical? That's the first time I've ever heard of intubation being included in any sort of EMT-B exam, considering it's not in the scope of practice...

yea it's weird... in sc emt-bs are alowd to intubate, however most services dont alow it.... :p but whatever...

yea it's weird... in sc emt-bs are alowd to intubate, however most services dont alow it.... :p but whatever...

Really? Crazy...well, uh...remember to visualize the vocal chords! ;P *ducks*

Yea I was pretty disappointed when I was told we were learning and practicing skills that we would never be able to use as EMT-B. I just can't wait for EMTNR to be over.

I don't blame you. A lot of the national registry stuff is a waste of time anyway, and it's not like anyone has any respect for national registry (and rightly so, they are a laughable organization) anyway, so it's basically just a big hoop to jump through to start actually learning after you get your NR cert.

Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, and I was in EMT-B school, we had to learn the dual lumen airway device (combitube). they said it was going to be part of the scope of care soon.... It still isnt.