reciprocity and national exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

larke28

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, Was wondering if anyone is/has experienced a similar situation. I am an EMT-B certified in MA, but will be moving to AZ to start medical school in 2months. My license expires Feb 2006, so it's still valid for a few months. I want to keep my EMT license when I am in AZ and was told that I would have to take the AZ refresher and the national written exam (no mention of the national practical--but don't you have to pass the practical before you're allowed to sit for the written?). The refresher I have time to take before school starts. However, the application on nremt says that I have to have had my EMT practical exam within 12months, but I passed mine about 1.5yrs ago. So does this mean I have to get someone to test me again for the practical? Or maybe I am reading the wrong application to take the national written exam? Any help/clarification would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Am I mistaken in assuming that you took a MA test and not the NREMT? (I take it that you are currently not certified as an NREMT.)

If you took the NREMT exam and was an NREMT-B and didn't recertify this year, then you might be eligible to recertify under special circumstances (i.e., no written test). Call the NREMT for more information.

If you took the Massachusetts state EMT-B exam, then you must take the NREMT-B practical exam in addition to the written exam. NREMT requires their own practical exam.

larke28 said:
Hi, Was wondering if anyone is/has experienced a similar situation. I am an EMT-B certified in MA, but will be moving to AZ to start medical school in 2months. My license expires Feb 2006, so it's still valid for a few months. I want to keep my EMT license when I am in AZ and was told that I would have to take the AZ refresher and the national written exam (no mention of the national practical--but don't you have to pass the practical before you're allowed to sit for the written?). The refresher I have time to take before school starts. However, the application on nremt says that I have to have had my EMT practical exam within 12months, but I passed mine about 1.5yrs ago. So does this mean I have to get someone to test me again for the practical? Or maybe I am reading the wrong application to take the national written exam? Any help/clarification would be greatly appreciated!

http://www.azdhs.gov/bems/faq1.htm#EMT Certification - 10