Navy Anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

narcusprince

Rough Rider
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone rotated at NMC Portsmouth and San diego for anesthesia? If so could you give me a description of the rotation and schedule?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone rotated at NMC Portsmouth and San diego for anesthesia? If so could you give me a description of the rotation and schedule?

I has the chair of the educational program at NMCP from 2000 to 2004.

OR start 0730...

rotators need to show up around 0630 (if you're interested and motivated) to spend time with the residents or CRNA and attend lectures if scheduled.

depending on number of rotators ...you will get one of the following options during the day:

1 on 1 with attending
1 on 1 with CRNA
1 on 1 with resident or SRNA

Based on who you are 1 on 1 with....and your demonstrated ability and motivation...you may or may not be allowed to do procedures....

Lectures in the afternoon on a couple of days.

Things have changed quite a bit, so this may not be accurrate.

So how tough is it to get a Navy anesthesiology residency spot?

Members don't see this ad :)
WRT Portsmouth, militarymd has it about right. As a CA1 I haven't seen rotating students much, so I figure they must be 1-on-1 with staff or CRNAs.

There are 18 Navy anesthesia positions each year, 6 each at NNMC, NMCSD, and NMCP. For my class (entering 2006) there were 33 alternates - I don't know how many of them were interns vs returning GMOs. Last month's match (class entering 2007) had fewer alternates listed - I'm not sure if that's because there were fewer people interested this year, or if interns were discouraged from submitting an application, or what. There is no categorical internship; everyone must apply as an intern. Everyone taken in recent years has completed a GMO tour. It's more competitive than it was a few years ago, but I think almost everyone who does their time as a GMO gets a spot.

I rotated at NMCSD in August. milmd had the timing down. I didnt get lectures in the afternoon though. rotating people went to the am lecture and then went to the OR as he said, one on one with somebody. The teaching and potential for procedures was limited. I am planning on doing EM and I said that so they were less interested in teaching. I would suggest rotating in July or later in the year because I was there when the SRNA and the new residents were there so they got the good cases and I was bumped to OB and pain clinic alot. They also gave me a bunch of days off. If I needed an hour for an interview they told me to take the whole day. Overall my time was spent....
7 days in OR, 4 days in OB, 2 days in pain clinic, 1 day in preop, 3 days with the regional anesthesia service and a few days off for interviews, and to attend other department conferences I wanted to attend.