NAVY HSCP - Clinical Rotations (Clerkships)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ActiveDutyNavy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently, I've been looking into clerkships at Navy Hospitals. When it occurred to me, I have no idea how/when to start the process. To complicate matters, I'm Navy HSCP. (and therein lies the problem)

According to the only person that knows anything about HSCP clerkships at my NRD
  • HSCP students are technically enlisted personnel during medical school and while they have the option to do some of these clinical rotations, the navy won't set it up for you and it is therefore more difficult to accomplish by yourself than a fellow HPSP student.
  • you must request through your NRD to be put on TAD orders (the non-paying kind) for that time period
  • you contact each individual hospital with requested dates to complete a clerkship in a particular specialty
At the end of every bullet, add "i think", because that is how this person ended each statement.

Does anyone have any insight on scheduling Navy Clerkships in the HSCP program?

I'm interested in IM or EM, and I recently received my schedule for my 3rd year rotations at my medical school. Currently, I'm not scheduled to rotate through Medicine until May/June 2010, but if i want to do a 3rd year clerkship it will have to be before then (around Nov/Dec 2009). Should I schedule an IM clerkship at a Naval Hospital before I've rotated through my own medical school's IM service?

I have a whole list of questions, but I don't want to overdo it on one post. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm just now applying for HSCP but I had several questions about it so I contacted the program manager. Below is an email I received answering some of those questions specifically regarding summer AT clerkships for HSCPers. I would suggest you contact her directly since you are ready to start clerkships right now.

"We believe that Recruiting command will have money allocated for HSCP students to go on clerkships just as HPSP students do. However, at the present time, This has not happened. The HSCP program for physicians is a new program, and we don't anticipate the need for this funding this year, but will by summer 2010.

Both HPSP and HSCP student will require orders to set up clerkships. We have students arrange the dates for their clerkships with the GME coordinator of the clerkship they desire. Once they have a confirmation letter, we match up order in NROWS ( the system HPSP students use) with the letters. We anticipate that a confirmation letter will be required by Recruiting Command to verify TAD orders for HSCP students.

During clerkships the fact that a student is in the HSCP and "enlisted" will not be an issue. They will be considered to be a clerk just like their HPSP counterpart, and will perform clerk duties and attend clerk instruction. However, because they are not authorized to wear officer insignia, they will be attired in civilian clothing during the clerkships.

HPSP and HSCP are different accession programs which meet different needs for different people. HSCP students are commissioned as LT after they complete medical school. Some HPSP students go to ODS after they complete professional school if they can't get it into their schedule prior to graduation. They do not need to go to ODS prior to their clerkships, but it helps, since they purchase uniforms while at ODS."

Best wishes,
Sandra Yerkes

Sandra A. Yerkes, M.D. CAPT, MC, USN (ret.)
NAVMED " <OH@Accessions Program Manager
NAVMED Manpower, Personnel, Training & Education Command (NAVMED MPT&E)
8901 Wisconsin Avenue
Bethesda, MD 20889-5611
Com: (301) 295-9950, DSN 295-9950
Fax: (301) 295-6014
E-Mail: [email protected]
Web site: http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/navmedmpte/accessions/Pages/default.aspx

Recently, I've been looking into clerkships at Navy Hospitals. When it occurred to me, I have no idea how/when to start the process. To complicate matters, I'm Navy HSCP. (and therein lies the problem)

According to the only person that knows anything about HSCP clerkships at my NRD
  • HSCP students are technically enlisted personnel during medical school and while they have the option to do some of these clinical rotations, the navy won't set it up for you and it is therefore more difficult to accomplish by yourself than a fellow HPSP student.
    Your not technically enlisted, you are enlisted. Just a special category of enlisted. The Navy does not set up any rotations for students. You have to do it yourself. Here are the points of contact to do that.
    http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/navmedmpte/accessions/Pages/SchedulingClinicalClerkships.aspx

• you must request through your NRD to be put on TAD orders (the non-paying kind) for that time period
    When HSCP was initiated for medical students, those who implemented the program did not consider the special needs of medical students. Clerkships are vital to obtaining intern positions, but no money was designated to assist HSCP students with these orders. I know there are efforts to secure this funding, but until then you are left with no cost TAD orders. Now as an active duty E-6/7 you have ability to stay in the BEQ and eat cheaply in the galley. That should make your life a little better, but not as good as if it were funded.
  • you contact each individual hospital with requested dates to complete a clerkship in a particular specialty
At the end of every bullet, add "i think", because that is how this person ended each statement.

Does anyone have any insight on scheduling Navy Clerkships in the HSCP program?

I'm interested in IM or EM, and I recently received my schedule for my 3rd year rotations at my medical school. Currently, I'm not scheduled to rotate through Medicine until May/June 2010, but if i want to do a 3rd year clerkship it will have to be before then (around Nov/Dec 2009). Should I schedule an IM clerkship at a Naval Hospital before I've rotated through my own medical school's IM service?

I have a whole list of questions, but I don't want to overdo it on one post. Thanks in advance.

I would be happy to answer any and all questions you may have. I would also recommend calling the HPSP office at either 301 295 1217 or 301 319 4517 or email at OH at med.navy.mil. While they have no administrative control over your situation, they do understand clerkships, intern match, and such.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just now applying for HSCP but I had several questions about it so I contacted the program manager.

As a point of clarification, Dr. Yerkes is the HPSP program manager, not the HSCP program manager.

As a point of clarification, Dr. Yerkes is the HPSP program manager, not the HSCP program manager.

Well that might be the case, but I was referred to her by others in the Navy GME office and I was told that she was the individual to speak with regarding anything to do with the HSCP. If she isn't the ''program director'', she still seemed to have the best working knowledge on the subject and was able to provide the seeminlgy most up-to-date no BS info about the program's details.

Well that might be the case, but I was referred to her by others in the Navy GME office and I was told that she was the individual to speak with regarding anything to do with the HSCP. If she isn't the ''program director'', she still seemed to have the best working knowledge on the subject and was able to provide the seeminlgy most up-to-date no BS info about the program's details.

She is all knowing.