Navy Match Statistics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LO281OK

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have links to the following information:

# Matched into the different specialties for Navy residencies
# who received full deferrals for different specialties from the Navy

Basically the Navy Residency Match Statistics. I thought I ad seen something like this before, but I cannot find it now. Thanks. :)

Members don't see this ad.

LO281OK said:
Does anyone have links to the following information:

# Matched into the different specialties for Navy residencies
# who received full deferrals for different specialties from the Navy

Basically the Navy Residency Match Statistics. I thought I ad seen something like this before, but I cannot find it now. Thanks. :)

This year's results are at https://www-nshs.med.navy.mil/gmeapplication/secure/ResultsList.asp.

Members don't see this ad :)
OK- so really, what are the chances of being assigned as a GMO if I were to go navy hpsp? I really don't want to do a GMO tour, but I really wanted to go navy. I wanted to go the internal medicine route. Are the odds stacked against you or is it really only if you have a poor app that you'll get put as GMO?

MicroBugs said:
OK- so really, what are the chances of being assigned as a GMO if I were to go navy hpsp? I really don't want to do a GMO tour, but I really wanted to go navy. I wanted to go the internal medicine route. Are the odds stacked against you or is it really only if you have a poor app that you'll get put as GMO?

Odds of post-internship GMO tour is: Navy >>>>> Army/USAF

MicroBugs said:

I would request a waiver for straight through training as part of your contract. I suspect the recruiters and BUMED have the power to do this.

If that's a real possibility, then that would be worth it...

Originally Posted by IgD
I would request a waiver for straight through training as part of your contract. I suspect the recruiters and BUMED have the power to do this.

Wow...are you for real? :laugh:

rotatores

Things to consider with last years match statistics:

1) Past performance is not an indication of future results. Full time deferrments vary from year to year. 2009 is going to be a crappy year for full time deferrements with the shortfall in HPSPers last year. Navy will fill its programs prior to giving deferments.

2) Surgery, anesthesia, ortho, and EM are the most likely to have full deferrments available. Numbers are the big question.

3) There is no clause that can or will be put in the contract for a full deferrment. If you want that: go FAP.

4) Last name and last 4 will not get your identity stolen, but hey, if you end up on a VA computer..........

5) IM chances of going straight through 50/50.

rotatores said:
Wow...are you for real? :laugh:

rotatores

It seems outrageous but I have a colleague who got a waiver for a full time outservice fellowship. The waiver gave her concurrent payback instead of tacking the obligation on the end. I'm pretty confident you could get a waiver for straight through training if you have a good academic record and especially since there is a shortage of HPSP students.

Thanks all for the advice. I'm still not completely committed R, but just wanted to consider all options. Don't worry I've read all the pro-con threads and then sum. My husband is also in as a SWO, so I get the reg officer side of the house too.

IgD said:
It seems outrageous but I have a colleague who got a waiver for a full time outservice fellowship. The waiver gave her concurrent payback instead of tacking the obligation on the end. I'm pretty confident you could get a waiver for straight through training if you have a good academic record and especially since there is a shortage of HPSP students.

If you are on a deferrment for residency and want to continue on with a fellowship, that might be possible if it meets the needs of the service. There will not be a clause saying you can go from med school to full deferrment for residency. And there is no payback for a civilian residency if the military does not contribute any funds.

NavyFP said:
If you are on a deferrment for residency and want to continue on with a fellowship, that might be possible if it meets the needs of the service. There will not be a clause saying you can go from med school to full deferrment for residency. And there is no payback for a civilian residency if the military does not contribute any funds.

I agree 100% with this statement.

If the Navy started handing out waivers to new HPSP students to bypass the GMO tour, you would have a lot of pissed off GMO officers, and an extremely low rentention rate.