Navy Peds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigNavyPedsGuy

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm a 3rd year medical HPSP student (8 months 'til match) who wants to be a pediatrician (please save the peds jokes :laugh: ). Anyway, I was wondering if there was anybody out there who could comment on the different programs/give info about rotations at the 3 big Navy sites.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Umm...that's quite the open ended question. I'm not sure where to start. I'm doing Peds next year and I rotated at all three locations, so I have a general impression of each. Do you have any particular questions?

rotatores
USUHS 2006

I suppose that was a very general question. I was wondering about the attitudes about the various sites. For example: is on more laid back? Does everyone shoot for San Diego? Portsmouth? Bethesda? How do the sites differ? B/c it's competitive is it more formal than most Peds programs? How was the work environment?

In short, I'm rotating this fall and I was just wondering what to expect.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering about the attitudes about the various sites.

I'm not sure what you mean about the "attitudes"...do you mean attitudes of the applicants or residents? I found the attitudes of the residents at all three programs to be great and they all enjoyed being where they were. I just found myself getting along with the residents at one of the programs more than the other two. I also made my decision based on the kind of patients that each program saw. I found that San Diego and Portsmouth saw more of the bread and butter of pediatrics were as NCC saw (at least when I was there) more of the zebras.

Does everyone shoot for San Diego? Portsmouth? Bethesda?

It depends on the year...but last year San Diego had more applicants ranking them as #1...I think overall it was something like 27 applicants for 14 spots.

B/c it's competitive is it more formal than most Peds programs?

Well...i've never rotated at a civy program...so I can't answer this...but all three programs were formal but at the same time it was a friendly environment. You will work your butt off at all three.

In the end...I chose not to rank NCC as my first choice b/c 1) I was tired of the DC area 2) I didn't click with the other applicants who ranked NCC #1 3) It was too much of an Army residency (too much time would have been spent at the Death Star, AKA Walter Reed).

hope this helps

rotatores

rotatores said:
In the end...I chose not to rank NCC as my first choice b/c 1) I was tired of the DC area 2) I didn't click with the other applicants who ranked NCC #1 3) It was too much of an Army residency (too much time would have been spent at the Death Star, AKA Walter Reed).

1) Can you explain what about the DC area you didn't like? (was it just the traffic/city life?)

2) Can you characterize in the most non-judgemental constructive way the people you didn't click with on the NCC circuit?

3) I toured the Peds ward and PICU at WRAMC and the NICU at NNMC, and thought the setup for all the care centers was sufficient or above average. I also sat in on end of the day rounds, and every service was represented at WRAMC. With that preface, what about the "Army residency" was unpalatable?

(I'm sorry if this is too much detail, but I'm a detail oriented kinda' guy)

Thanks!

Portier

1) Can you explain what about the DC area you didn't like? (was it just the traffic/city life?)

I love the city...just hate the traffic.

2) Can you characterize in the most non-judgemental constructive way the people you didn't click with on the NCC circuit?

I didn't say i didnt click with the people in the NCC circuit...I said I didn't click with the applicants who were ranking NCC #1. I actually really enjoyed the residents.

3) I toured the Peds ward and PICU at WRAMC and the NICU at NNMC, and thought the setup for all the care centers was sufficient or above average. I also sat in on end of the day rounds, and every service was represented at WRAMC. With that preface, what about the "Army residency" was unpalatable?

Well...I was referring more to the fact that a good portion of my residency would have been spent at WRAMC, not so much that it was an "Army Residency." I personally found WRAMC to be no better than a dump (i've done quite a few rotation there). I was also so much more impressed with the interns from the other two Navy Hospitals. To be totally honest, I disliked the program so much that I almost didn't even rank them, but feared this would look bad when it came to the selection committee.

Hope this helps and good luck
Rotatores

That's exactly what I was looking for when I started this thread.

Thanks

rotatores said:
I didn't say i didnt click with the people in the NCC circuit...I said I didn't click with the applicants who were ranking NCC #1. I actually really enjoyed the residents.

Rotatores,

If I read you correctly, you mean that the people in your USUHS class that were ranking NCC #1 were the ones that you didn't click with.

It only took me a few weeks to figure out that post...go Dr Big Brain! (JK) ;)

I guess it took me a while since as a HPSP'er, I have no clue who will be ranking what...unless I directly ask the 4 people in my class on scholarship who I won't be seeing again until graduation...who most likely won't be into Peds anyway... :oops:

If I read you correctly, you mean that the people in your USUHS class that were ranking NCC #1 were the ones that you didn't click with.

Only two Navy students from my school (myself included) ranked Pediatrics at all...and the other guy ranked San Diego #1. I meant the other people that I rotated with while at NCC.

rotatores said:
Only two Navy students from my school (myself included) ranked Pediatrics at all...and the other guy ranked San Diego #1. I meant the other people that I rotated with while at NCC.

How many were at each site with you while you rotated on a service?

rotatores said:
Umm...don't quite recall...but i'd say anywhere from 5-8/month.

rotatores

Is there much grandstanding and backstabbing?
(like to try and impress the residency heads so that "you" get in?)