NBDE-2 Score thread and Experience.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MitPat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Why don't we start NBDE-2 score thread and the experience associated with the exam. Please feel free to jolt down your total part-2 preperation schedule and books used for the success , and share with everybody.
Thanks.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks dds gurl!! Wish u the best

Cumulative Study Hours:
Recommended Studying Materials:
Study DOs:
Study DON'Ts:

Any advice or tips for future test takers...
Also recent test takers kindly post our inputs regarding exam and use the format given above so that it will help us all..

thanks!!

Cumulative Study Hours: It varied a lot per day for me, just because some days were hard to concentrate and others I hit the books very hard. I studied for seven weeks very well.
Recommended Studying Materials: Decks, Implant Notes, Refer to your texts or class notes to review. (I also used Kaplan Test Center Prep, Mosby, Released Exams...not sure how much it helped? I do think the Kap Qbank helps you learn basic concepts.)
Most Difficult topics to answer: I think it varies for everyone...
Study DOs: Stay calm and believe in yourself. You have gotten this far on your own and will do the same again. Sleep well before the exam so you have stamina and are clear headed the day of. Also review the topics you know you are weak in. Don't underestimate this exam--you have to get a lot of Q's correct to pass.
Study DON'Ts: In my opinion, don't go too far off topic in Path. Know the ones they test over and over very well.

I was originally going to wait to share my experience since I am waiting on my scores. Best of luck to all! And when you are done with your exams, please update SDN with your experience for others as a thank you to the ones who have helped you. :luck:

Last edited:
BTW guys, I called ADA today and they told me there is no curve !!! they said the exam is based on points and questions difficulty !! so I think they rank the questions and if you get the tough ones you get more points. It's a stupid system !! but thats how they grade us. I also asked him for the second timer, well the test be tougher !! he said it's always the same difficulty but you will get a different version from the last one !! but I don't trust him when he said you won't get a more diffcult one cuz based on what I see in here.. people say that the 2nd time is tougher !!

I re-took exam 2nd time and I didn't think the second time questions were harder, at least it didn't appear to me. However, to be fair, I have not gotten my results yet so.... can't say much! I have gotten very discouraged after reading that there is a much lower pass rate if failed the first time. Will post when I get results.. hopefully soon!!!!! In fact, I have not come across of anybody passing after second time, but I haven't really been searching.

I re-took exam 2nd time and I didn't think the second time questions were harder, at least it didn't appear to me. However, to be fair, I have not gotten my results yet so.... can't say much! I have gotten very discouraged after reading that there is a much lower pass rate if failed the first time. Will post when I get results.. hopefully soon!!!!! In fact, I have not come across of anybody passing after second time, but I haven't really been searching.

hi All the best for yr result..
can you tell me what should I read for implant and behaviorl science?
the qs on this topic were difficult?

Members don't see this ad :)
hi All the best for yr result..
can you tell me what should I read for implant and behaviorl science?
the qs on this topic were difficult?

Implant ?s were not difficult, behavioral ?s... can't even begin to tell you. Did not encounter much from my reading materials, so I wouldn't even begin to recommend anything. Decks are very weak in this aspect for sure. I encountered things I've never heard of before!!:eek:

Just wanted to respond quick and thank everyone that has written on this thread. I actually just finished up my ortho residency this past june and never took my part 2's while in dental school which was a mistake. I took them back in april and really underestimated them completely. Everyone kept telling me about this wonderful curve and that there were a ton of repeated q's so just to study the old exams. After taking it the first time i knew right out of the shoot that i didnt pass. I didnt realize how much information about general dent, pharm, oral path etc that i had actually forgotten while learning ortho. I ended up bombing the first time although it was compltely my fault thinking that i could just pass the exam going through the decks once and relying on what i thought i knew about dentistry.
I took them the second time at the begining of this august and i have to agree with everyone here that said the second time is much harder. The same basic topics are asked about, just the questions require a much deeper depth of knowledge and understanding. The implant q's and the behavioral science q's were ok the first time but completely ridiculous the second time around. That being said i actually did pass the second time around.... but just barely. While waiting for the results i read all the posts here and had an idea in my mind the number of q's that i needed to get right to simply pass (thought around a 320 from what other people were reporting) but i passed with a 75 comp score with a 339 total q's! Dont get me wrong i am completely happy to just have passed, but i thought I would have gotten a much better point dif than a 7 point curve. Especially when people were reporting up to 12 points. I know that the ADA says that testing the second time around is no different and that q's are based on severity etc but the second time was a lot harder in my opinion than the first.
The second time around i did the decks a few times, First AID and old exams. I have since heard that Mos and Tufts are great books but i didnt have a chance to use them. I agree with most people that the implant info from the decks isnt nearly enough and the only reason i did half decent on the behavioral q's was from having taken it the first time around and looking up the answers and term definitions online! Some of the q's came from far right field.
Study hard the first time around and make sure you dont have to take it again! Dont over think the questions, I would convince myself especially on the case based of what i would do as opposed to what i thought they wanted us to answer.
Anything i can do to help any of you out there please let me know. I feel compltely releaved that i can finally put this stupid exam behind me seeing that 78% of the information they ask none of us will ever use ever again. Good luck to everyone!

Just wanted to respond quick and thank everyone that has written on this thread. I actually just finished up my ortho residency this past june and never took my part 2's while in dental school which was a mistake. I took them back in april and really underestimated them completely. Everyone kept telling me about this wonderful curve and that there were a ton of repeated q's so just to study the old exams. After taking it the first time i knew right out of the shoot that i didnt pass. I didnt realize how much information about general dent, pharm, oral path etc that i had actually forgotten while learning ortho. I ended up bombing the first time although it was compltely my fault thinking that i could just pass the exam going through the decks once and relying on what i thought i knew about dentistry.
I took them the second time at the begining of this august and i have to agree with everyone here that said the second time is much harder. The same basic topics are asked about, just the questions require a much deeper depth of knowledge and understanding. The implant q's and the behavioral science q's were ok the first time but completely ridiculous the second time around. That being said i actually did pass the second time around.... but just barely. While waiting for the results i read all the posts here and had an idea in my mind the number of q's that i needed to get right to simply pass (thought around a 320 from what other people were reporting) but i passed with a 75 comp score with a 339 total q's! Dont get me wrong i am completely happy to just have passed, but i thought I would have gotten a much better point dif than a 7 point curve. Especially when people were reporting up to 12 points. I know that the ADA says that testing the second time around is no different and that q's are based on severity etc but the second time was a lot harder in my opinion than the first.
The second time around i did the decks a few times, First AID and old exams. I have since heard that Mos and Tufts are great books but i didnt have a chance to use them. I agree with most people that the implant info from the decks isnt nearly enough and the only reason i did half decent on the behavioral q's was from having taken it the first time around and looking up the answers and term definitions online! Some of the q's came from far right field.
Study hard the first time around and make sure you dont have to take it again! Dont over think the questions, I would convince myself especially on the case based of what i would do as opposed to what i thought they wanted us to answer.
Anything i can do to help any of you out there please let me know. I feel compltely releaved that i can finally put this stupid exam behind me seeing that 78% of the information they ask none of us will ever use ever again. Good luck to everyone!

Congrats and thanks for your post!!

OK, got my results and failed it for the second time!! Unbelievable being that I really felt confident I passed! I'm dissapionted to say the least but will have to work hard to make it happen this third time in 2.5 months. Is anyone willing to sell first aid and Tufts review? Thanks to all!

OK, got my results and failed it for the second time!! Unbelievable being that I really felt confident I passed! I'm dissapionted to say the least but will have to work hard to make it happen this third time in 2.5 months. Is anyone willing to sell first aid and Tufts review? Thanks to all!

odontologia: if you don't mind, could you please post your raw scores (questions answered correctly) and the approx. curve? thanks so much, on behalf of those of us still studying for this thing.

Oh no... i was thinking to take part II next month after studying for about 2 weeks but reading this tread i think i need more time..thanks everybody for sharing your experiences. anybody wanna sell part II materials? interested in buying them especially the decks...

Hi Boston 1826!! Congratulations!
Can you please tell me what was your score for day 2 (case base- items).
Thank you and good luck with everything!

My first exam my scores were: 293/500 score 73 case 61/100
second exam scores were: 317/500 score 72!!! case 61/100

Not sure of the curve or what that entails. Hopefully this will be helpful to those inquiring.

My first exam my scores were: 293/500 score 73 case 61/100
second exam scores were: 317/500 score 72!!! case 61/100

Not sure of the curve or what that entails. Hopefully this will be helpful to those inquiring.
Wow!! This is so unfair :(
Good luck studying and don't loose hope since we all are on the same boat!

Hi Boston 1826!! Congratulations!
Can you please tell me what was your score for day 2 (case base- items).
Thank you and good luck with everything!

I dont have the sheet in front of me but i believe that i got 339/500 which included 69 correct out of 100 case based, mean was a 71 or 72/100

Members don't see this ad :)

hi can you tell that how we can prepare best for 2nd day of part 2 exam?

how can we make easy to identify the x rays and photographs?

plz reply..................thanx

"hi can you tell that how we can prepare best for 2nd day of part 2 exam?

how can we make easy to identify the x rays and photographs?

plz reply..................thanx "

what was really helpful was studying the case studies on the 93 and 98 released exams. really concentrate on what they are trying to ask you, the ?s are straight forward but need to pay particular attn to detail in terms of medical hx, dental hx, etc. also pharm is important in the second day. i think i found much more pharm relating to pts in the second day than staight forward ?s on my first day, but that was my experience. good luck!

:luck: Congratulations on passing!!! Thanks for sharing your scores and what you studied! :luck:

I dont have the sheet in front of me but i believe that i got 339/500 which included 69 correct out of 100 case based, mean was a 71 or 72/100
Hi boston1826
congrats on completing the whole exam and studying rigmarole.
i have a quick question for u.u completed ur ortho residency,that is like the ortho pg isnt it?u dont need part2 to get into residency?i am assuming u dont have to from ur words that u did not do the exam during ur residency
i gave my exam in june and got 77.i am planning to repeat it as i thought part2 would be important for getting into a pg program later, as it has all the clinical subjects.
what is the criteria for residency programs?
i would be grateful if u gave suggestions.
thank u

I have re-taken the part 2 for four times now, and I am sadly to report that I have not passed the exam. After the third attempt, ADA made me wait for a year period(which was a long wait for me), and I recently retook the exam which was on august 18th, 2009. I studied with textbooks, mosby's review book, old exams, dental decks, kaplan review book and you name it, I studied intensely for two months(avg.4-5 hr/day, 6days a wk). Sadly, when I got the result back, I only obtained 71 composite score! I was morbidly upset by it and I had a flash thought of just quitting dentistry altogther. My raw scores are: 304/500 and 52/100. I really need help on what I am lacking... I studied it so much and reviewed every single subject... I dont' know what is going on... Let me know if any of you guys have any thoughts or recommendations. I am getting pretty desperate here.

I took my part II back in Dec of 2007. I got 348/500 and my comp score was 84. After comparing my score to others that did not pass, what I have seen is that certain areas carry more weight than others. For example, I only got about 50% of the questions correct in pharm and oral path. But, I got over 70% of the questions right in prosth, ortho, perio and pt mgmt. I also got 89% in endo. Below is a breakdown of my score sheet:

Op - 44/64 (68.75%)
Pharm - 21/41 (51.22%)
Prosth - 39/52 (75%)
OS - 32/51 (62.75%)
Ortho/Peds - 54/75 (72%)
Endo - 35/39 (89.74%)
Perio - 46/58 (79.31%)
Oral Path - 33/59 (55.93%)
Pt Mgmt - 44/61 (72.13%)

If you read the technical report from the ADA, the exam questions are weighted based upon a survey that was sent out to about 6900 dentists as to what topics are most important (on a scale of 1 to 5). So, think like a GP, what is used more out in the real world? Operative, prosth, peds, endo, perio, pt mgmt. Pharm and oral path are not super critical since out in practice, you can always look this stuff up.

Hang in there colleagues! You can do it. I graduated and bought a practice straight of school and am loving dentistry.

Good luck to all!

HI tina.. I just wanted to encourage you to not to give up.. i took my fourth test on august, and I failed again... I have yet to figure out what I need to be doing more... You can read my thread about details of my experience.

Hi boston1826
congrats on completing the whole exam and studying rigmarole.
i have a quick question for u.u completed ur ortho residency,that is like the ortho pg isnt it?u dont need part2 to get into residency?i am assuming u dont have to from ur words that u did not do the exam during ur residency
i gave my exam in june and got 77.i am planning to repeat it as i thought part2 would be important for getting into a pg program later, as it has all the clinical subjects.
what is the criteria for residency programs?
i would be grateful if u gave suggestions.
thank u[/QUO

No it wasnt a requirement for applying. Sometimes if you do really well it can help you but wasnt a requirement for me. I ended up shooting myself in the foot because I had forgotten more than i thought in terms of oper, endo, etc. So basically i didnt have to do it, but should have

Thanks boston and dds gurl, odontologia...

Any recent test takers: part 2 for august ??

Cumulative Study Hours:
Recommended Studying Materials:

Study DOs:
Study DON'Ts:

Any advice or tips for future test takers...
Also recent test takers kindly post our inputs regarding exam and use the format given above so that it will help us all..

thanks!!:luck:

Cumulative Study Hours: definitely not enough, 2-3 wks
Recommended Studying Materials: decks, mosbys, exams, kaplan, tufts
Study DOs: spend much more than me on studying, stay focused, use time wisely, study exams and understand answers
Study DON'Ts: spend too little time studying!!!

Hi guys,

To my immense dissapointment, I got my part 2 results in mail today. I have scored 76 :(. I thought i had faired well, and expected nothing less than a 85!! Oh well, one day I was so happy to get my part 1 results..and today..well, not so. Anyways, I thought i will give an insight to you guys.

Cumulative score: 361/500; case: 61/100

Hope I can make into a dental school this year with atleast my part 1 score. Waiting for your inputs....

Dr. Pooja

Hi drpooja84,

Congrats on passing part 2! Could you please verify when exactly did you take your part 2? I was following your post and found that you just very recently took part 1 and then immediately you also took part 2??? Great effort!
How long did you exactly study for. Please share. I am also eagerly awaiting my part 2 result. Its been almost a month and I have not recieved them yet.

Thanks,

Hi guys,

To my immense dissapointment, I got my part 2 results in mail today. I have scored 76 :(. I thought i had faired well, and expected nothing less than a 85!! Oh well, one day I was so happy to get my part 1 results..and today..well, not so. Anyways, I thought i will give an insight to you guys.

Cumulative score: 361/500; case: 61/100

Hope I can make into a dental school this year with atleast my part 1 score. Waiting for your inputs....

Dr. Pooja

congrates for part 2
I think you gave part 1 in july and you got yr part 2 result in aug this is too fast............
can you tell me how many months you studied for part 2 ?I am also planning to appear soon but not sure with the preparation.........dont count me wrong I am just asking that how much time is sufficeint for the preparation and what you read for part 2?
plz give some input

Hi again,

Yes, I appeared for my part 2 exams just after recieveing my part 1 score on July 7th and July 8th. I had been preparing for these exams since my internship days, as i always knew I was going to be in states after my marriage. For past one year, I have just studied for these 2 exams and done nothing else (except for part time DA). For part 2 i studied
Dental decks 2007: Revised good 2 times in and out.
Mosby's solved all questions; reference books from my undergrad days; kaplan notes; ASDA releaded questions (1980 - 2005). I felt confident on the day of exam, but thimgs dint go too right for me.
I studied for atleast 6 hrs a day for past 6-months for both exams.
Good luck everyone & now i deserve some time off studies,

Dr. Pooja

Hi again,

Yes, I appeared for my part 2 exams just after recieveing my part 1 score on July 7th and July 8th. I had been preparing for these exams since my internship days, as i always knew I was going to be in states after my marriage. For past one year, I have just studied for these 2 exams and done nothing else (except for part time DA). For part 2 i studied
Dental decks 2007: Revised good 2 times in and out.
Mosby's solved all questions; reference books from my undergrad days; kaplan notes; ASDA releaded questions (1980 - 2005). I felt confident on the day of exam, but thimgs dint go too right for me.
I studied for atleast 6 hrs a day for past 6-months for both exams.
Good luck everyone & now i deserve some time off studies,

Dr. Pooja

Good job for your efforts and congratulations!!! I agree w/you Dr. Pooja - you really need to put much time to this exam, something I overestimated 2 times!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey pearl 82

If it has been 4 weeks , You can try and call ADA and check with them regarding part 2 results.
It only usually takes less than 2 weeks to get your results..for part 2.

Kindly post your test taking experience, just like most of them are doing at sdn .. for future part 2 takers, it will help many..

Thanks and good luck
gn

Hi drpooja84,

Congrats on passing part 2! Could you please verify when exactly did you take your part 2? I was following your post and found that you just very recently took part 1 and then immediately you also took part 2??? Great effort!
How long did you exactly study for. Please share. I am also eagerly awaiting my part 2 result. Its been almost a month and I have not recieved them yet.

Thanks,

hey,,, can you please tell me how many weeks you have studied and what all materials you have refrered....

Hey People ....... Just got my Part 2 score .... scored 86 :)
Had given exam on 4 , 5 June.
Got 328 on day 1 ....... 69 on day 2 ..... Total 397 / 500.

Part 1 is 87. TOEFL is 111.
Hope that i get somewhere now .........

pearl 82: you can try and call ADA for your scores, good luck!!:thumbup:

thanks
star:luck:

Hi drpooja84,

Thanks,

Last edited:
hi
in exam do they ask about the histological photo and identify the lesion
anybody who gave the exam has idea about this?

:love: I passed!! The national average was 360.1/500 and cases were 69.8/100. I scored 338/500 and a 72/100 on cases. I took it on Aug 6 & 7. The scores were mailed on Aug 18. I hope I have been of help to some on here. I also thank everyone who has posted in the past to help me. I am thankful to be done forever with this! Good luck to the rest of the test takers!!

God it is so good to hear this result!! I'm so happy for you!! Congrats !! You deserved it , I'm sure you studied really hard for this test!
Good luck
All the VERY best to you:thumbup:

sj:luck:

:love: I passed!! The national average was 360.1/500 and cases were 69.8/100. I scored 338/500 and a 72/100 on cases. I took it on Aug 6 & 7. The scores were mailed on Aug 18. I hope I have been of help to some on here. I also thank everyone who has posted in the past to help me. I am thankful to be done forever with this! Good luck to the rest of the test takers!!

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

:love: I passed!! The national average was 360.1/500 and cases were 69.8/100. I scored 338/500 and a 72/100 on cases. I took it on aug 6 & 7. The scores were mailed on aug 18. I hope i have been of help to some on here. I also thank everyone who has posted in the past to help me. I am thankful to be done forever with this! Good luck to the rest of the test takers!!

Hey That is great news !!! Congrats on passing the exam!!
Best of Luck in practice!:thumbup:

Thank you Star Jasmine, odontologia, and Gaura Nitai!!!
Study hard and good luck to you all!

some pharmacology links previously posted by a member on sdn
might help !! for part 2

Pharmacology Links
1)http://www.som.tulane.edu/department...arm/exams.html
Self assessment exams
2) http://reference.allrefer.com/encycl...ies/pharm.html
Encyclopedia resource provides articles on topics covered under Pharmacology.
3) http://lysine.pharm.utah.edu/netpharm/
A collection of multimedia materials used to teach cardiovascular pharmacology - Univ of Utah
4) http://www.pharmacology2000.com/
Medical Pharmacology and Disease-Based Integrated Instruction
5) http://www.utah.edu/umed/courses/year2/pharm/study/
View online or download lectures - utah.edu
6) http://street.com/ISAP/welcome.html
Self-assessment in Pharmacology: Requires registration but it is FREE.

Thanks - that was very nice!!

some pharmacology links previously posted by a member on sdn
might help !! for part 2

Pharmacology Links
1)http://www.som.tulane.edu/department...arm/exams.html
Self assessment exams
2) http://reference.allrefer.com/encycl...ies/pharm.html
Encyclopedia resource provides articles on topics covered under Pharmacology.
3) http://lysine.pharm.utah.edu/netpharm/
A collection of multimedia materials used to teach cardiovascular pharmacology - Univ of Utah
4) http://www.pharmacology2000.com/
Medical Pharmacology and Disease-Based Integrated Instruction
5) http://www.utah.edu/umed/courses/year2/pharm/study/
View online or download lectures - utah.edu
6) http://street.com/ISAP/welcome.html
Self-assessment in Pharmacology: Requires registration but it is FREE.

Ok here's my experience.

I didn't pass :(
It was harder than I expected. I focused mostly on decks and asda exams, just like I did to pass part I, but that didn't work for me this time.

I'm retaking the exam in late November or early December.
I really NEED to pass.

If you want a study partner, please contact me.

We need to be together guys.

Thanks.

Hang on guys, Part-2 exam is tough. Just spent more time clearing concepts and practice Q's from where you can put you hand on besides ASDA. Its a cat and mouse exam where examiner will through Q's which half of it you won't be using in your professional life and half you will have to answer just so you will be at their mercey. Sorry to tell you but they want $340 when a person fail the exam.:thumbup:

man this sounds really tough every other day ther is someone who posts his/her scores that may /may not be gud but unfortunately thats on the negative side more frequently:confused:
man this seems really tough to crack part2
pls be kind enough to suggest the ways to study in the last 3 weeks
i have done decks once and asda once (mostly in the range of 68-78)
pls advice on last min tips coz man i am really shattered now lost b4 appearing for the exam:scared:
pls somebody help me!!!!!:eek:

Hi Pearl 82

Hopefully you got your results of part 2 from ADA? :thumbup:

sj

Hi drpooja84,

Thanks,

In exactly how many days do we receive the part2 scores? As I see people not getting their scores for 3 weeks too
need to take a date soon
Thanks guys

Hi everyone, I took a test on Sept 2,3. I got the result today with score 79. I sucked at patient management I got only 34 whereas the national mean is 43. Do you guys think the school I want to apply for would look especially into the patient management part? I think I did just fine with the clinical part but the question about patient management really made me blind. I hope someone could give me an advice, thank you.

Hi everyone, I took a test on Sept 2,3. I got the result today with score 79. I sucked at patient management I got only 34 whereas the national mean is 43. Do you guys think the school I want to apply for would look especially into the patient management part? I think I did just fine with the clinical part but the question about patient management really made me blind. I hope someone could give me an advice, thank you.

Hey,
congrats...can u pls share with us which study material u referred except decks n mosby?

thanks.

My materials are Decks, Old exams and Tuft's Phamaco review which is really helpful. But its not enough for implants and Patient management.

Hey Sweetpannacotta,

Can you please post your scores as well. I took my exam on Sept 1st and 2nd...and am worried cus i havent gotten my results yet. Thank you in advance.

i have just received my scores and failed again... 327/500 with a 74...if only i havent changed those correct choices to incorrect answers!!!
anyways, what is done is done. i really feel like i need a partner to study with this time. anyone interested living in ny area, let me know.