NBDE-2 Score thread and Experience.....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MitPat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Why don't we start NBDE-2 score thread and the experience associated with the exam. Please feel free to jolt down your total part-2 preperation schedule and books used for the success , and share with everybody.
Thanks.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Was this your first time taking the exam? Mine is next month, this gives me hope!!!! Congratulations on doing so well.

Hi Pchemgrad,
First of all congratulation for scoring wonderful in Part2.
When sdn members see such great score one thing always come into mind and that is what all materials he/she used? How may months it took to prepare for part2 and so on. It will be great help for us who are going to take part2 in near future. so, could you please tell us about the preparation materials, time took to prepare for part2? In addition, we would like to know the experience of taking part2.

We wish All the best for your future.
Thank you so much in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my test results back for Boards part II, and I Passed.
Got a 87 like it really matters. Now im just waiting for Jan 31st.

When did you take the exam? Just finished mine today and am wondering when I will get the results.

Thanks!

Was this your first time taking the exam? Mine is next month, this gives me hope!!!! Congratulations on doing so well.
This was my first time taking the exam.
I studied for about 6 weeks, i would study for a couple of hours each night, and that was about it. I read the Mosbys books twice, then went through a old set of decks. After going through the set of decks the first time i set aside any cards i thought was important then went through them again.
I went through one back exam and thought it was pointless. that was about it.

When did you take the exam? Just finished mine today and am wondering when I will get the results.

Thanks!
It took me 3 weeks to get my results back. I had friends who only took 2 weeks to get their results back, it just depends on if you made the cut off or not for the exam date.

Day two is a crap shoot :diebanana::diebanana:
after the first day relax that night, and go in the next day and do what you know. its pretty much what you've gathered from your time in clinic.

i wish i knew what type of answers they were looking for on the second day. thats all i wish i could have done better on.

Finished Part 2..what a relieve :) First day was not bad at all ...not many repeats...2nd day was terrible..I think I almost cried half way through the exam b/c I had no clue what they were asking for :confused: I also didn't see the tabs on photos until half way through my test :( which made me nervous since I was already half way through...I felt good the first day..but I know I bombed the second day...All I can do now is wait and pray I passed ..UGH

I tried a few different things such as the UMKC "not that great IMO", tufts book :) "I thought was great for pharm and other topics I was weak in", decks, and mosby..oh yeah and a crash course of the first aid which can take you a day to read a few days before the exam..it has some good bolded pointers ;)

just got my score for part II. I passed with a 79. I definitely did not have a good feeling about this one so I am just glad that I passed.

I studied for about 2.5 weeks for about 3 hours a day. Went through dental decks which were okay but spent a lot of time studying dental board busters. Also did one of the ASDA tests.

Took exam jan 3 and 4 and just got results today jan 25th

72/100 on case based
382/500

84 total

Just got my score, seems like they ship the letter in batches as a bunch of my buddies received their score reports today as well.

I got an 86 with a 385/500 and 76/100 on cases. Much higher than I expected.

All in all, came out thinking the exam was tough, but if you can get around 75% correct you will be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations Enamelbunny!
Hard work always pays off.Well! enjoy the days ahead.

Hi Enamelbunny,
Congratulations!
Can you please describe more about second day of the exam? Hoe it comes and what kind of cases and questions?
Also, does the exam ask for histlology pics?
And how to prepare for the exam?

Thanks!

This was my first time taking the exam.
I studied for about 6 weeks, i would study for a couple of hours each night, and that was about it. I read the Mosbys books twice, then went through a old set of decks. After going through the set of decks the first time i set aside any cards i thought was important then went through them again.
I went through one back exam and thought it was pointless. that was about it.

It took me 3 weeks to get my results back. I had friends who only took 2 weeks to get their results back, it just depends on if you made the cut off or not for the exam date.

Day two is a crap shoot :diebanana::diebanana:
after the first day relax that night, and go in the next day and do what you know. its pretty much what you've gathered from your time in clinic.

i wish i knew what type of answers they were looking for on the second day. thats all i wish i could have done better on.

Hi
So can you describe how to prepare for the second day of the exam? I am very tensed about it... which kinds of que. are asked?

Thanks!

Just got my score, seems like they ship the letter in batches as a bunch of my buddies received their score reports today as well.

I got an 86 with a 385/500 and 76/100 on cases. Much higher than I expected.

All in all, came out thinking the exam was tough, but if you can get around 75% correct you will be fine.

Hi Mrz123

Any tips for preparation?

Hi Mrz123

Any tips for preparation?

Study! I spent about 3 weeks, maybe 3 hours a day, 6 hours the last 7 days. Did the decks once, Mosby's, and the Tufts review for Pharm. Also did the most recent 4 released exams and was getting about 70% on those.

Hi Toothsleuth1,

Congratulation for scoring such a wonderful score.
Good luck for the Denta school search...

To study, I read and outlined Mosbys, read through the decks once and did four of the old practice tests. My weakest scoring areas was Patient Management, so I wish I would have spent more time on that. There were a bunch of questions on insurance fraud and ethical principles and behavior management strategies that I did not know. Good luck everyone!

Hey Guys,
Can anyone know from when NBDE exam is gonna be one combine mega exam. Thx:thumbup:

Took NBDE II 1/13-14
Got my score 1/31

Total 416/500
Cases 89/100
Score 89

Does anyone ever crack 90 on this thing?

OMG!!!!!That's awosome.. How you could do so? Congratulations!
Give us a real important tips about your experience
Are you done with your dental school?
Share something about second day..how it comes anbd why is it so tough?

Study! I spent about 3 weeks, maybe 3 hours a day, 6 hours the last 7 days. Did the decks once, Mosby's, and the Tufts review for Pharm. Also did the most recent 4 released exams and was getting about 70% on those.

Thanks Mrz123!
Dose exam ask for histology slides and to indentify radiographs?
what kinds of cases are asked on second day of exam?

Looks like the exam scoring has format has changed a lot since 2001. I was given one score and cases were either above or below average. I think I scored an 88 on part 2, 92 on part 1.

Got my Part 2 score, 2 days ago, 84, did dental decks+mosby once, found decks to be more useful. Good Luck to all.

i hope this will give some people hope.

I took my exam on 12/26. Studied 2 weeks (school ended at 12/17) maybe 5 hours a day and study intensely last 3 days. I used dental board buster (very good if you can remember every detail and lines, i read it once but i cannot remember much), dental deck (did not look ortho, pharm, and oral path- ran out of time, borrowed a set 3 days before exam) and morsby (you must study the patient management section, it is the best resource. i did not read the whole book). I pass with 78% with first try, FYI i am also the lower 15% of my class rank so it is not like i really know my stuffs to start with. i personally think 2006 and 2009 released exam was helpful and the real pharm exam was way easier than those old exams (however my friends disagree, i guess it is depends on your version of exam).

my suggestion is that look at the candidate guide and make a game plan. study smart!, drill on those topics that you are not familiar with. don't spend too much time on a subject that hardly has any question (i.e ortho, details of pharm- i only remember how to ID with name and significant of important med, known interactions). i think the most important part is the patient management, oral path, and prosth which consist like 50 questions each? other question like restorative, peds, oral surgery, ortho should be easy for you to make a guess base on your clinical experience. clinical experience is a good way to learn... in the exam, i recalled many conversations with my instructors regarding patient cases.....although i am not sure their reason would be the answer of ADA (i think the exam is very subjective), however it give me some glue to narrow down answers.

But once again, everyone has different system of study, find one that works best for you. i am just sharing with my experience.

can anyone tell me that which is the latest question paper for nbde part 2? is it 2M? 2M is until 2008. so, i was wondering that tehy have released the 2009 and 2010 or not?
thanks.

can anyone tell me that which is the latest question paper for nbde part 2? is it 2M? 2M is until 2008. so, i was wondering that tehy have released the 2009 and 2010 or not?
thanks.

I am also in that dillema. which set of released paper is nearer to real exam as everyone is telling that old papers are of no use.
Please someone help us.
Thanks.

i hope this will give some people hope.

I took my exam on 12/26. Studied 2 weeks (school ended at 12/17) maybe 5 hours a day and study intensely last 3 days. I used dental board buster (very good if you can remember every detail and lines, i read it once but i cannot remember much), dental deck (did not look ortho, pharm, and oral path- ran out of time, borrowed a set 3 days before exam) and morsby (you must study the patient management section, it is the best resource. i did not read the whole book). I pass with 78% with first try, FYI i am also the lower 15% of my class rank so it is not like i really know my stuffs to start with. i personally think 2006 and 2009 released exam was helpful and the real pharm exam was way easier than those old exams (however my friends disagree, i guess it is depends on your version of exam).

my suggestion is that look at the candidate guide and make a game plan. study smart!, drill on those topics that you are not familiar with. don't spend too much time on a subject that hardly has any question (i.e ortho, details of pharm- i only remember how to ID with name and significant of important med, known interactions). i think the most important part is the patient management, oral path, and prosth which consist like 50 questions each? other question like restorative, peds, oral surgery, ortho should be easy for you to make a guess base on your clinical experience. clinical experience is a good way to learn... in the exam, i recalled many conversations with my instructors regarding patient cases.....although i am not sure their reason would be the answer of ADA (i think the exam is very subjective), however it give me some glue to narrow down answers.

But once again, everyone has different system of study, find one that works best for you. i am just sharing with my experience.

Hi trust068

Thanks very much for the nice guidance and providing tips minutely.
I wanted to ask you about denatl board buster. Is it real good? and Do you have it? If you are going to sell it, I am interested in buying it.

Thanks!!!

Ok, I took Part 2 yesterday 2/14 and today 2/15. I found it to be something that you can pass, but it can be tricky. Some of the radiographs were not clear and that made it hard to select a definitive answer. I will let you know how it went in a few weeks. I would suggest doing old exams, crack the board similation, and dental decks. If you know Pathology, especially endodontics and perio, you can answer a lot of questions. I can't remember the questions, but I am certainly glad that it is over.

:DSo I just recently got my scores back and I passed my first time, I got an 81. First don’t get worried if your score doesn’t come; it took 4 weeks for me to get my score. Classmates that took the exam the same day as me got it back in 2 weeks. Even though mine was postmarked the same day they had I guess it got lost in the mail my luck. I studied for about 6 weeks and I was kind of surprised I didn’t do better I got an 81. I personally didn’t like decks for part 1 and again for part 2. I basically used a mixture of Mosby and Board buster. I liked the layout of board buster a lot. For pharm I used Tufts which was just as much as you need make sure you know it inside out and you will be good for that section. This exam is not about numbers or regurgitation it is about understanding and thinking so don’t worry about memorizing try to understand. For ortho it was weird I dont even think I got one straight ortho question but I guess they mix it in somehow. Old exams I did most of them but honestly I don’t think they are useful or relevant, just do the latest 2 released exams and you will get an understanding of the exam look at the released exam early in your studying so you can see the ridiculous questions they ask. If you are really paranoid and even better thing than going through all those oldies there is a tufts review thick binder where it has oldies with explanations(every section that instructors put together pretty old though) do that instead of the older released exams if you have time and are worried. Don’t worry about how you score on them I was scoring around 65% but it doesn’t matter don’t score yourself those released exam have some ******ed questions that aren’t as hard as the exam but it will give you an idea of the way they are able to figure out questions to ask that make you think. They ask a lot of real world stuff that you do all the time and you can’t look up the answer or read it in a book. I would say know complete dentures very well but RPD very minimal. The second day are questions that if you ask 20 dentist you would get 20 answers so just hope that you are thinking like them, that is why it might be beneficial if you look at the Dental Secretes book I think. After day 1 I would just review occlusion and some basic numbers stuff like eruption, maybe some path pictures. You can’t really prepare for the second day and don’t get frustrated when the radiographs are blurry and you can’t see anything on them.
I never had anxiety in my life before and this exam gave it to me. Don’t trip out about the exam it is not a big deal just put in the time and you will be fine. Everyone gets through it. Some of the post on SDM really mess with your head so be careful but honestly the exam is not that big of a deal and we will an all get through it eventually. If you have any questions feel free to contact me. I hated dental school especially boards , there is no reason it should be so hard but we will all get through it stay positive make sure you understand what your studying don’t just memorize, practice your breathing when you get nervous and you will get through it.
Don’t forget to give back post positive things help boost moral we are all in it together. Don’t wait till you get your results post your experience before you get your results so its fresh in your memory and it will help us gauge how we are doing THANKS SDN

General said it best. You can accomplish Part 2! I think that because I was so relaxed and I did all that I could do to prepare, I will be fine. I think that post was right on target, especially when it comes to the preparation. You won't know what they are going to ask, so brush up on the basics, take your time, relax, and you will get through this. DO NOT PANIC!!!

Congrats DrSaso!!! It has only been a week since I finished my exam. I am prayerful that I will pass also. Do you mind giving your breakdown?

hey every1 please cn any1 suggest me abt part2 prep . im international dentist done wid part 1 startin wid part2
i hav 3 months i have dental deck for 2007-2008,mosby reveiw notes ,kaplan notes and kaplan qbanks and asda papers bt nt new series which d new series and wat else i need and plz suggest sum tips

Took NBDE II 2/08-09
Got my score 2-22

Total 337/500
Cases 74/100

Score 77
Congrats on your exam score.
will you please share what should we study more for exam according to you experience. I have mine in 3 days on march 2nd and 3rd.
thank you

Has anyone that failed Part 2 taken again as soon as the 90 day waiting period was up? If so, do you think the test was easier or harder?

Hi everyone - I got my score today after taking the exam in early February - and I passed with low-80s!!! I have never been so relieved before. Waiting 2.5 weeks was hard. I want to thank everyone on this forum for their helpful advice.

Honestly, I felt like I had failed after day 1. It was really hard and there were actually areas tested that I feel like I had never learned before.

I'd like to share my study plan if it will be helpful to anyone:

I started studying in November. Monday through Friday I would study for a couple of hours after clinic and then about 3-4 hours on Sat and Sun. I used Mosby 2x and Decks 2x and the 90s - 00s practice exams about 2x. These were the only resources that I used. I did not have the elusive Tufts Pharmacology but I still scored above the national average in that area. Basically, like most of you, I studied for the exam while going to school full-time. I never felt like I had enough time either :-( First time through the practice exams I was getting low 60s on them so I was really, really worried. I remember being in a really bad mood after taking them and feeling really insecure. My best advice is to try not to doubt yourself after taking the practice exams if they don't go as well as you want them to go.

Also, please don't be like me and panic after the actual exam is over. I was so worried that I didn't pass. Just be prepared to wait for your scores. You don't know when your scores will get sent, unfortunately.

Good luck to all!!!

Hi everyone - I got my score today after taking the exam in early February - and I passed with low-80s!!! I have never been so relieved before. Waiting 2.5 weeks was hard. I want to thank everyone on this forum for their helpful advice.

Honestly, I felt like I had failed after day 1. It was really hard and there were actually areas tested that I feel like I had never learned before.

I'd like to share my study plan if it will be helpful to anyone:

I started studying in November. Monday through Friday I would study for a couple of hours after clinic and then about 3-4 hours on Sat and Sun. I used Mosby 2x and Decks 2x and the 90s - 00s practice exams about 2x. These were the only resources that I used. I did not have the elusive Tufts Pharmacology but I still scored above the national average in that area. Basically, like most of you, I studied for the exam while going to school full-time. I never felt like I had enough time either :-( First time through the practice exams I was getting low 60s on them so I was really, really worried. I remember being in a really bad mood after taking them and feeling really insecure. My best advice is to try not to doubt yourself after taking the practice exams if they don't go as well as you want them to go.

Also, please don't be like me and panic after the actual exam is over. I was so worried that I didn't pass. Just be prepared to wait for your scores. You don't know when your scores will get sent, unfortunately.

Good luck to all!!!

Congratulation.

do you have recent paper set like M? if you have it can you tell me?
and r u a foreign dentist? i am nervous because there are too many subjects and after 5 years i am studying for this part 2.

Thanks.

Congrats Peachy Pink!!!! That is so awesome! Much success to you in the future.

Has anyone heard of, or have used the UMKC School of Dentistry CE Webinar to prepare for Part2? Unfortunately, I have to take it again and saw this online that they offer this prep with recorded comprehensive review on all subject areas. Let me know what you think.

Congratulation.

do you have recent paper set like M? if you have it can you tell me?
and r u a foreign dentist? i am nervous because there are too many subjects and after 5 years i am studying for this part 2.

Thanks.

I did three practice sets - 1993, 2006, 2009
I am not FTD