NBDE Part 1 - time to study as a working mother

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted615732

Hi!

I'm looking for someone who is in the same situation like me and could give me some advice.
Finally I'm ready to try to take the NBDE.
I'm a working mother with 2 kids (2&6 years old.)
I'm living in the states and I'm out of dental school since 2010.
I could study 1-2 hrs a day. How long will it takes me to prepare for the NBDe?
Any advice?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
That what I will do ,for 2-3months it's good 2 hour,then I will study for 5-6 hours and hard before exam 4 tow months .....keep going .....

My advise to study all the time you can. Generally you need more time for stuff you do not remember and need to learn. For me biochem was the one. Little by little every day, after you put kids to bed. Easier stuff you can look through just to refresh even when they watch cartoons.
Ask your husband to take them to the park or give you an hour quiet time here and there. Remember not to take too long - you may forget what you studied in the beginning:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your advice:)
Its good to hear that somebody else is in the same situation.
I always thought, that I'll never be able to pass and I never will get a seat in a program. So, I wasted my time:(
I'm out of dental school since 2010 and I worked for 1 year.
Right now I'm working as a Dental Lab Tech. I'm educated as one,too.
I'm really excited about all the new(old) stuff to study:)
What about you? Does anybody of you already took the test?

I live in Maryland.
How many hours do you plan to study a day?
I think I'll try to take the test in oct/nov, because in July and August I have no time to study for 3 weeks.

Hi
I only have 1-2 hrs a day because of work and kids.
Maybe you should look for a study partner with the same amount of study time.?

Hi! Im also planning to take the test in 2015. I'll b in Chicago.
what books you r following?

Hi! I study from DD and First Aid. During the day I listen to some podcasts.

Hi!

I'm looking for someone who is in the same situation like me and could give me some advice.
Any advice?

Thanks

I know it can extremely difficult to study when you have children. I took Part 1 in Oct 2013. I was working as a dental assistant 4 days a week and I was 5 months pregnant. I studied for just a month to be honest . I don't think I sat more than 3-4 hours a day. I went thru the entire Kaplans book and solved a few question papers. My suggestion to you is first dont go by someone elses idea of how long you should study. People told me to study for 3-6 months. Everyone's power of retention and reproduction of matter is different. Only you can know your capability.

Read whenever you can especially when you are free and your mind is relaxed. I had all the differences between premolars and important differences etc in dental anatomy and biochem cycles drawn out and had pinned them in the toilet and above the kitchen sink. ( hey!! Judge not ! everyone has their own ways to study) You will amazed at how much will come back to you once you start reading. If I would do anything different it would be to solve as many papers as you can. You will realize where your weakness lies. Lastly when you answer go by gut. I don't remember where I read this but one of the prep books said this in their intro..more often than not the first answer that comes to your mind is usually the right answer.

I didn't buy any apps or softwares. I did find an nbde app on google play. Also found some sample part 1 tests, mnemonics and you tube videos that help online. It helped when I would lie in bed and be able to still revise a lil...I do have an awesome and supportive husband who would cook dinners, do laundry and be ok to come home to a messy home.

Lastly remember to remind yourself everyday that you can do it. We can achieve anything we wanna if we only have the courage to do so. All the best to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
hi
where do u live, i mean which state,
i live in california and looking for a study partner too for NBDE
i am planning to give my exams in the month of sept or october this year
i am yet to start my preparation
hi im also planning to give my exma in oct.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi. Very demotivated. My study was going good then suddenly I am getting afraid n feeling won't be able to do it.
How to motivate your self again n again.please help

@Pari stl step away from the books and the library now. Take a couple days off and go at it again.

Hi!

Any advice?

Thanks
Thanks for your advice:)
Its good to hear that somebody else is in the same situation.
I always thought, that I'll never be able to pass and I never will get a seat in a program. So, I wasted my time:(
I'm out of dental school since 2010 and I worked for 1 year.
Right now I'm working as a Dental Lab Tech. I'm educated as one,too.
I'm really excited about all the new(old) stuff to study:)
What about you? Does anybody of you already took the test?[/QUOT
Hi!

Any advice?

Thanks

Hi I am also in same situation.
I have 3 yr old very active son.As nw he is going to preschools I thought I should try for part 1
I started studying and feel completely screwed:(cant remember anything learned before.
Have you started reading textbooks or directly DD and kaplan??

Hi SSY17711!
I know how do you feel. It's really hard. I couldn't study for one week because of my family. Boys had their birthdays and we went on a vacation. So, there was no time for me to study.
I started directly with the DD cards. And I choose anatomy. I'm just reading. I can't memorize now. For me it's hard to memorize. I'm better in understanding how things work. How the body works.
When do you want to take your test?
I just got my ECE evaluation but haven't heard from ADA yet.
Where do you live? When did you finish your dental school?

Hi Schanner,
Glad to hear you.I live in sanfransisco anrad finished my BDS in 2010 from GMC Aurangabad,Maharashtra.
I am planning to give exam next april.
I started reading anatomy but nw shifted to DADH as feel i know something.Havnt got transcripts yet..
Where you live?we can discuss topics on skype during daytime if u r free..

You know what Im in your shoes and more.. I have 3 kids. 9,7, and a 5 months old now. First things first, if you commit yourself on being on a dentist here in the US, you have to make some sacrifices. No more vacations. No more family parties, no more going.. Every free time that you have should go into studying. No more socializing. Go into a 6 month run like that and you should pass the exam.

hi
where do u live, i mean which state,
i live in california and looking for a study partner too for NBDE
i am planning to give my exams in the month of sept or october this year
i am yet to start my preparation

Hi, I'm in CA. I'm just about to start.

Hi Lez!
Did you already take the exam? Which books are u using ? I read DD, but sometimes I think it's only facts and less explanation. Which book explains more?

Hi Lez!
Did you already take the exam? Which books are u using ? I read DD, but sometimes I think it's only facts and less explanation. Which book explains more?

Hi.... I am a working mother. I started reading Kaplan from May, like 1 chapter a day to begin with, had to go on vacation in july. Feeling terrible to start again,that I forgot what I read before. Looking for a study partner to motivate and make study plans. I study 1-2 hrs in a working day, 4-6 hours on weekends. I appreciate somebody in my shoes who can understand the struggles of finding time to study. I live in bay area. We can contact online and share plans. I hope to give exam in Oct\November.
Contact me at [email protected]

y do u study kaplan ? just do dental decks 13-14 thrice ull make it. i have done it recently

hi every body I am international dentist with family 2 kids 4 yrs and 5 months and me and my wife working full time and I am trying to find time to study its very hard situation ,so its similar please your advice

I need some advice this is similar to my situation I live in Portland Oregon

hello
i m looking for a female study partener.i live in bay area sf and dentist from india..

Hi I looking partner for study. my name is mrtha I live in Virginia.

Hello everyone!
I am new in this forum...I've just started studying for Nbde part1... I am A mother of three kids 9,7,2 ...I am planning to take this exam in 2015... Please I need help regarding studies...I have DD , Kaplan and first aid... I started from first aid but couldn't understand anything as I did my bachelors in 2004 ... So please friends guide me and motivate me...
Waiting for reply