NCSU c/o 2016 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I married in to a Connecticut family (lived up there for a little over a year as well), and I don't think that the majority of the people I met up there would care to live in Cary. And, no offense to anyone here who might live there, but I wouldn't live there myself either. No thank you!

Haha I didn't come up with it, I just know that's a common joke.

Congrats Horseygal!

Members don't see this ad.

Haha I didn't come up with it, I just know that's a common joke.

Congrats Horseygal!

Oh yeah, I've heard it before. Ironically just the other day, actually, because one of my coworkers was talking about Cary :p Its all good. I wasn't trying to be "matter of fact" or angry sounding in that last post (if that's how it came off).

I'm pretty sure there's not one yet. It's good to get it going early, so you can start putting names to faces and getting to know people a little bit.

I still don't know the names of many of my classmates :oops:

Got my letter today... accepted!! I am quite impressed with the mail system. I live in Winston-Salem and figured any letters would be at least a day behind those in the Raleigh area. So excited that they came today. I am so sorry for any rejections/waitlisters. Don't give up hope yet. If you were meant to be vet, it will happen one day.

As far as a facebook group is concerned, I looked for one too and couldn't find one. Feel free to start one up Wolfpackgirl2!

Start one yyaayy!!!!

Facebook group created! "NCSU CVM Class of 2016". If you can't find it (I did make it a closed group so random people wouldn't be joining it lol), then just PM me your real name and I will find you on there and add you to it! SO EXCITED!!!! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I live at the same place, utilities are about the same. I have a one bedroom apartment and it runs a bit under $700 a month. One bonus here, they are very pet friendly. Pet fee at move in is very small, and no pet rent.

Nice. I pay $15 a month per pet right now. So glad caged pets don't count, but really with the cost of having a pet as far as feeding and stuff goes it does suck to pay extra in rent. I can't wait to finally figure out where I am going to go to school.

If you aren't too picky about your living environment, you might check out where I live. It's a 1BR efficiency - basically like a hotel room with a stove, sink, microwave, and fridge. It's furnished. Cost is $530 /month plus electricity. My electric bill runs about $30 in the hot weather - i.e. when you need AC. So far, I haven't had to turn on the heat. It is 1 mile from the doors of the school, so you can walk there the day or two when you can't park at the fair grounds. I say not picky because it is an old building. I've had a couple issues with roaches, but the management has been very active in trying to fix the problem. Much of it was abated when my neighbors moved out. The halls are kind of dark, but the front door locks from 8 PM to 8 AM - you need a card to enter. The individual apartment doors are thick - I don't worry about anyone breaking in.

If you aren't too picky about your living environment, you might check out where I live. It's a 1BR efficiency - basically like a hotel room with a stove, sink, microwave, and fridge. It's furnished. Cost is $530 /month plus electricity. My electric bill runs about $30 in the hot weather - i.e. when you need AC. So far, I haven't had to turn on the heat. It is 1 mile from the doors of the school, so you can walk there the day or two when you can't park at the fair grounds. I say not picky because it is an old building. I've had a couple issues with roaches, but the management has been very active in trying to fix the problem. Much of it was abated when my neighbors moved out. The halls are kind of dark, but the front door locks from 8 PM to 8 AM - you need a card to enter. The individual apartment doors are thick - I don't worry about anyone breaking in.

I'm bringing a husband as well as my furry family. I'd probably need more space that that, but that's not bad for the location. Anything that close to campus here is at least $100 more. I can see my electricity use being lower in the summer and higher in the winter. I'm from AZ specifically the part that has gotten so hot it's just missed out by 2 degree on the top 10 hottest places on earth. It also get humid though most people won't admit it. During the monsoon season the clouds pass right over us without raining. I'm looking forward to the change.

I'm definitely ideally looking to rent a house with a yard with a roommate or two. Something close to campus preferably

I'm definitely ideally looking to rent a house with a yard with a roommate or two. Something close to campus preferably

Does this mean you are settling on the NC State offer then? Also this is slightly off-topic but I remembered the episode with the beach/lawn chair we got offered in Ithaca and I never got to hear the resolution. Fill me in? :cool:

Congratulations to everyone who got good news! Can't wait to meet you all at Open House. I will be manning the information booth in the Mobile Spay/Neuter clinic most of the day. As for apartment hunting, that is a subject near and dear to my heart at the moment, as I am getting ready to move to a 1 Bedroom and have done lots of looking/research. They will send you a 'housing document' with complexes and recommendations from previous classes once the class is finalized, but here is my 2 cents. There are several nice areas within a 10-15 window of school. You pay more (obviously) for nicer/newer and closer to school. I did learn that rental prices in Raleigh have recently shot up in the last year. Having lived all over Raleigh/Cary, in complexes from undergraduate-central to townhouses, I can say there are plenty of options. Most of the 1 bedrooms I was looking at were between $600 and 750 for rent depending on space, utilities, amenities included and whatnot. I am actually going to be moving to one of the complexes near Lake Johnson. If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me or ask here, but I may be slow in replying. Congrats again!

I am hoping that someone can please answer my questions. I am trying to make a pro/con list of NCSU. I have done a lot of searching around on their website, but there are a few things I am uncertain about:

1. How long do students typically spend during lectures each day? What about labs?

2. There are selectives offered at the end of each semester. Do these allow hands-on opportunities?

3. Do all professors post their notes online ahead of class time?

4. Are lectures recorded?

5. I have heard the caseload is pretty good. A current student told me that the caseload is low on emergency med. Can you agree with this?

6. Where do you think the curriculum needs to be improved? What area is lacking?

7. Are all students in the same lecture hall together?

Thanks sooo much! I appreciate any advice.

I am hoping that someone can please answer my questions. I am trying to make a pro/con list of NCSU. I have done a lot of searching around on their website, but there are a few things I am uncertain about:

1. How long do students typically spend during lectures each day? What about labs?
A long time. I've heard anectdotally that we have a particularly intense lecture/lab schedule. Most days most years are 8-4ish. Some days are 8-5:30. Some days are shorter, particularly as you get into third year, but we are in class a lot. Check it out:
http://www.cvm.ncsu.edu/academicaffairs/calendars.html

2. There are selectives offered at the end of each semester. Do these allow hands-on opportunities?
They sure do! I love selectives! Here is a list of things I have gotten to do during selectives: Ferret Ultrasound, Neuter and Analsacuectomy, Fish exploratory Coelotomy and ultrasound, several fish diagnostic labs, a coral fragmenting lab, Iguana Neuter, Bearded Dragon Spay, Iguana and Bearded Dragon Ultrasound, marine mammal necropsies, etc. You get the idea. They are awesome, and there are options available for everyone regardless of interest. Selectives Info here: http://cvm.ncsu.edu/dvm/faq.html

3. Do all professors post their notes online ahead of class time?
No. Most do, but not all.

4. Are lectures recorded?
Usually. Unless the system malfunctions. It is a new system though so there are tweaks going on and it isn't the best. Still a great resource for any time you have to miss lecture.

5. I have heard the caseload is pretty good. A current student told me that the caseload is low on emergency med. Can you agree with this?
I have no idea. I am still a third year and haven't been in the emergency clinic. But emergency med isn't an interest area of mine. There are definitely opportunities to be involved earlier than fourth year.

6. Where do you think the curriculum needs to be improved? What area is lacking?
This is a wide open question with lots of answers. They are constantly working to improve the curriculum, but there are some classes that could use tweaking. As a general rule I feel I am getting an exceptional education though.

7. Are all students in the same lecture hall together?
Currently all students in my class are in the same lecture hall unless broken into smaller groups for labs. Not sure how this will play out with he increasing class size though.

Thanks sooo much! I appreciate any advice.

Hope that helps!

Hey PythonChick- do students get any discounts at the vet hospital and/or food for their pets?

I know we get a discount at the VTH. Maybe 20%? Not exactly sure, as my only pets are of the scaly variety and haven't been in. We also have a pretty reasonably-priced wellness clinic. We have a Hills and a Purina feeding program for reduced cost food. Again, no fur-babies for me so I don't know the exact specifics.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Python for your quick response and helpful advice!

That really is a long day of classes! It does seem nice though that classes are done with before Thanksgiving---this way the break is actually enjoyable.

The things you have gotten to do in your selectives sounds awesome!

Overall, you seem pretty happy with the program :)

Thanks so much python!

Thanks Python for your quick response and helpful advice!

That really is a long day of classes! It does seem nice though that classes are done with before Thanksgiving---this way the break is actually enjoyable.

The things you have gotten to do in your selectives sounds awesome!

Overall, you seem pretty happy with the program :)

Keep in mind that while the days are 8-4 we don't sit in the same lecture hall all day...about every 2 weeks or so, we have TAU labs (teaching animal unit) where we get to go outside and do hands-on stuff with our farm animals (blood draws, physical exams, etc).

Also, I can also vouch for how awesome selectives are. I'm a first year, and last semester, I got to do the fish medicine one, and the raptor rehab one. In the raptor rehab one I worked with hawks and owls, and learned how to capture, safely restrain, bandaging wings, draw blood, place catethers, interpret radiographs, do physical exams, do physical therapy, and necropsy! It was such a fun selective! The fish medicine was fun, too. We studied anatomy, necropsied some cool species (sharks, stingrays), learned about different parasitic diseases, and of course, got to do the exploratory surgery. How cool is that? I just wanted to share those experiences to give you an idea of what you actually get to do during the selectives, and to also demonstrate that you get to do that cool stuff, even as a first year!

I definitely have some critiques of the curriculum, but I wouldn't say my critiques are exclusive the NCSU's curriculum, but rather the overall vet school curriculum. Overall, I'm very happy with our program, and I feel like I'm getting a great education.

Okkaaaay so I still haven't checked my physical mail... but I just got an email from Jeff Huckel inviting me to the welcome reception with a "Congratulations on your admission offer and please let me know if you have any questions."

I am so not letting myself get excited over that until some of our rejected peoples say they didn't get the email. Or waitlisted people. Or anyone, really. ahhhhh

Last edited:
Okkaaaay so I still haven't checked my physical mail... but I just got an email from Jeff Huckel inviting me to the welcome reception with a "Congratulations on your admission offer and please let me know if you have any questions."

I am so not letting myself get excited over that until some of our rejected peoples say they didn't get the email. Or waitlisted people. Or anyone, really. ahhhhh

I'm getting excited for you. WOOHOO.

Congrats to everyone who was accepted!

Aaahhh yay trilt that sounds like an offer!!!!! Can't wait!!

Wooooo congrats Trilt! :D I'll see you and everyone else who got accepted at Welcome Weekend. I'll be doing the tours for you guys.

Got home and I'm IN! :love: So very happy. I was not expecting to be accepted this year at all, I'm still in a bit of shock.

Yyyaaayy!! :biglove: can't wait to meet you!

I'm just wondering if any current students (preferrably first years) would be willing to let me sit in on some classes with them either on the Wednesday (28th) or Thursday (29th) before the Welcome Weekend. I'd really appreciate it.

Whoooo TRILT! I've almost decided on NCSU, but it's weird for me, I feel like I know you all, but I'd start classes with c/o 2017

Paid my admission deposit today, so now it's OFFICIAL :) yay!!

I'm just wondering if any current students (preferrably first years) would be willing to let me sit in on some classes with them either on the Wednesday (28th) or Thursday (29th) before the Welcome Weekend. I'd really appreciate it.

Email student services. They would be happy to set that up for you! I'd be more than willing to have you sit with me...I sit in the front, and there's always empty seats in the first row. :) I would come on the 29th because we have an exam on the 28th, and that would be really boring to sit in on!

Last edited:
I hope everybody attending this weekend has a great time. I unfortunately will not make it so I want a ton of informative posts here next week. Also, does anybody know about a facebook page for the 2016 class? Just wondering b/c I would love to get a feel for the class and won't be there this weekend.

I'M COMING TO NCSU!!!!!!!! RALEIGH BETTER GET READY! also, is there a facebook page and would ya'll allow me to join it, technically i'll be in the class of like 2019 or something, but I have been accepted to the vet school and start grad school next year.

The group is called "NCSU CVM Class of 2016." If you can't find it, message me your facebook profile and I'll see if I can just add you straight. :)

I unfortunately won't be making it to the reception tomorrow (darn work!) but I will be at the open house with my baby brother on Saturday.

I hope everybody attending this weekend has a great time. I unfortunately will not make it so I want a ton of informative posts here next week. Also, does anybody know about a facebook page for the 2016 class? Just wondering b/c I would love to get a feel for the class and won't be there this weekend.

I loved it!!!:love: I have been really indecisive on where I wanted to go to school (oh the cons of getting mulitple offers). However, when I saw the campus I just knew NCSU was where I'm supposed to go to school. I'm interested in small animal (with a mind open to whatever though), so the small animal teaching hospitals have always been important to me. Where I live we have an amazing state-of-the-art specialty and emergency clinic. This was the standard for me and so many schools I went to didn't live up to that standard. I was wondering if my standards were too high. I know that schools aren't in it to rake in the money and that their hospitals aren't brand new. However, the Terry Center is AMAZING!! I love it. I love how open it feels inside the buildings where the classrooms, labs, and library are. There are huge windows that let so much natural light in. There is a dairy and a beef cattle herd just outside the school. Also the teaching animal unit (for large animals) is just behind the school. They have a wonderful exotics program. I plan (as of now) to go into small animal practice with some pocket pet medicine on board as well. This is the place to be if you are interested in any kind of exotics. They have so many exotics focused faculty. Feel free to ask any questions you might have and I'll try to give you more of my impressions.

So excited to hear that OrcaGirl!

Yay orcagirl! Can't wait to meet you in August!

I'm super excited. I won't be able to get everything mailed out for a couple more days, but it's a huge relief to be able to start finding a place to live and thinking about moving. I can't wait to meet everyone.

I'm super excited. I won't be able to get everything mailed out for a couple more days, but it's a huge relief to be able to start finding a place to live and thinking about moving. I can't wait to meet everyone.

If you were the person from Arizona who asked about Westgrove on the group, I definitely responded to you. Yay anonymity! :D

I finally got stamps and sent in my legit acceptance yesterday, so very excited. Was the welcome weekend fun? Wish I could have been there!

Trilt - Yup that's me. Thanks for the response. I'm so excited. The welcome weekend was definitely fun.

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if there were any shelter medicine opportunities at NCSU?

Thanks in advance!