NECO requirements...help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

babytigger131

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just called the admissions office at NECO to check on the status of my application. I found out that NECO requires LOR from TWO professors??? I always thought they followed the LOR requirements on OptomCAS. Can anyone confirmed this? The lady I spoke to seemed very uncertained with her answers when I had asked to clarify...

Members don't see this ad.

yeah they do require letters from two professors. you can check it out on their website.

Members don't see this ad :)
"Recommendations: Please collect at least 2 letters of recommendation from faculty members familiar with your work. If the recommendation is written by a health professions advisory committee, only one comprehensive summary of your academic evaluation is necessary. The recommender must provide an original letter on their stationary. Personal recommendations are not required, but may be submitted in support of your application. You may submit up to two personal recommendation letters. All recommendation letters must be mailed to OPTOMCAS in order to complete your file."

They don't have to be science teachers. This also says they they need to submit the recommendation on their own stationary, but I emailed NECO and they said an electronic submission via optomCAS is also okay. This is found on the link you had in your last post.

Yeah, I found it. I must have overlooked it. Thanks for all the info!!

does anyone know if an optometrist who works at my school would be considered a "faculty member"? i guess that's a bit of a stretch though huh? :(

Does he work as a professor or as an optometrist in the health center or something?

Im not sure, Im guessing that wouldn't count as faculty but I would email NECO to check. There always helpful and respond very quickly.

What I wonder is what in hell N.E.C.O. thinks permits it to charge applicants an additional $45 to apply to their school; by that requirement, if they're an applicant's only choice, the latter is paying $170.00 to shoot for just one school.

Many schools are charging supplemental fees, not just NECO. I'm not saying I'm thrilled with it or anything, but they are able to do so.

Yes, I was going to note N.E.C.O. isn't the only college of optometry charging an additional fee, but I felt it unnecessary to do so — half of them can charge supplemental fees, and it would still be stupid to do so.