Optometry School Requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

preopt1

Reaction score
So for most optometry schools, under their pre-req requirements, it says "one course" or "one semester or one quarter." I'm a Canadian student, what is the difference between the two? Also, for calculus, many of these schools want "one course," but introductory calculus is only offered as a 0.5 credit for a half term (one semester) at my university. Does this mean I will have to take another calculus course as well? Secondly, how are Canadian GPAs translated in America? Do they remain the same or is there an increase/decrease and is there a site I can visit for more info about this? Is GPA for optometry school calculated using all four years? On average, what GPA should I be aiming for in order to be competitive?

What sort of research are optometry schools looking for (should it be related to the field of optometry) and what is a good way to get involved in that? How many hours of volunteering vs research vs optometry shadowing are optometry schools typically looking for in a competitive applicant? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

First, here's the SDN guide

Second, make sure you go to the ASCO website.

Then there is help documentation for OptomCAS

To your questions:
I guess it would help knowing which Canadian uni you attend, but every school probably is different in how they organize their courses. The usual unit is a semester course hour, and most courses are 3 semester course hours, +1 or +2 for labs. Each course hour corresponds to a unit of tuition that you are charged. What does your registrar say? There is information on the back of an official transcript that describes the grading policy and assignment of credits.

Last edited:
In terms of looking for the class requirements, I would call the schools you are interested in. Most of them are super nice and would love to email/call you and work you through it. I will say the more northern schools will be more familiar with it.

In terms of research and shadowing, it depends on the school. Research work usually isn't necessary (as in you don't have to work in a lab) but it definitely helps/ great if your are interested in it. Shadowing is definitely necessary. Try and find different Optometrists and different type of practices to shadow at. The hours you need change depending on the school, but I would say aim to spend a few days (around 10-15 hours) per place you visit. The more hours the better. I will say its getting much more common for the incoming students to have worked as a Optometrists technician or for an Ophthalmologist for at least the summer if not longer (not necessary, but about half the class comes in with that). Mostly what they are looking for is that you are excited and you know what the filed of optometry if all about. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user
So for most optometry schools, under their pre-req requirements, it says "one course" or "one semester or one quarter." I'm a Canadian student, what is the difference between the two? Also, for calculus, many of these schools want "one course," but introductory calculus is only offered as a 0.5 credit for a half term (one semester) at my university. Does this mean I will have to take another calculus course as well? Secondly, how are Canadian GPAs translated in America? Do they remain the same or is there an increase/decrease and is there a site I can visit for more info about this? Is GPA for optometry school calculated using all four years? On average, what GPA should I be aiming for in order to be competitive?

What sort of research are optometry schools looking for (should it be related to the field of optometry) and what is a good way to get involved in that? How many hours of volunteering vs research vs optometry shadowing are optometry schools typically looking for in a competitive applicant? Thanks!
Hi!

I understand that it's normal for many Canadian students to find that their science GPA has been increased once it's been converted through OptomCAS.

Reactions: 1 user