Need a degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BmocAzreal

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey sorry if this has already been brought up, but I was just wondering if its okay to apply without a bachelor's degree? I'm in a direct entry pharmD program that takes six years. I won't be recieving an undergraduate degree, is it still okay to apply? My pre-med advisor said i would have to change programs to meet the criteria of leading up to a bachelor's degree. Other people have told me otherwise. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

most med schools that i have come across require a b.a./b.s. before you matriculate.

I really don't think schools will have a problem with you being a pharmD. I'm pretty sure you're covered. But, I would make some calls directly to the admissions offices of the schools you're applying to. They'll give you the lowdown on their degree requirements.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought this thread was going to be an advertisement:

"Need a degree?!? Four payments of $29.99 is all it takes to get a state-of-the-art, real-live degree!!! (Frame not included)."

Kind of like that IPod thing a few weeks back.

i'm not sure i understood you. will you have a pharmD by the time you matriculate? if so, i think you're fine.

VFrank said:
I thought this thread was going to be an advertisement:

"Need a degree?!? Four payments of $29.99 is all it takes to get a state-of-the-art, real-live degree!!! (Frame not included)."

Kind of like that IPod thing a few weeks back.

That's what I thought too :laugh:

Your PharmD degree should be fine, but if you're not planning on finishing PharmD and just applying after like 3 or 4 years or something then you probably will have to get a BA or BS in something so that you graduate before matriculation.

Yah like kazema said, I might not want to finish my PharmD degree opting to apply for med around my third or fourth year. This would mean no PharmD degree and no bachelor degree, thus I would have to change majors. From your replies, I guess there's no real solid rule about it, and its on a more school by school bases huh?

BmocAzreal said:
Yah like kazema said, I might not want to finish my PharmD degree opting to apply for med around my third or fourth year. This would mean no PharmD degree and no bachelor degree, thus I would have to change majors. From your replies, I guess there's no real solid rule about it, and its on a more school by school bases huh?

I don't think so, meaning if you're not going to finish your pharmD you are probably going to have a problem. You will most definitely need to get a BA or BS and have a really good reason for dropping the pharmD degree. Med schools don't like to see confusion in your academic pursuits, it shows lack of focus.

Definitely call the schools, make sure you speak with the Dean of admissions or Director of admissions. Someone on the ADCOM not just a phone answerer, since your question is far from generic.

Most schools highly recommend having a bachelors degree, but I think your situation is a little different than most. I think you'll probably be fine, but I would check with each school to make sure its ok with them before applying to that school.

ambrosia said:
Most schools highly recommend having a bachelors degree, but I think your situation is a little different than most. I think you'll probably be fine, but I would check with each school to make sure its ok with them before applying to that school.

I don't want to sound like a pessimist, but bet on the rules not the exceptions. Not having a BA/BS and being accepted to an allopathic school is a serious exception. Probably just 1-4% of entering students, with most of these being from some sort of early acceptance program too. With the already seeming randomness of med school admissions you don't want to set yourself up with a major disadvantage. I'm just being a realist. You need to pickup the phone and do some research with admission offices. Also peruse the MSAR, a guide to medical schools sold by AAMC.ORG, it will provide some stat's that may clarify your issue. I wish you the best of luck

You don't have to have a degree to apply. It is suggested, but not required, for several schools. However, be careful what you put on your applications. I'm caught up in a mess right now because I'm applying without a degree, though I am an education major. My education program is a 5 year where you graduate with a masters and bachelors on the same day. I got a call today from a med school saying that I can't apply when I'm in a Master's program. I said it was joint degree and not post bac, so she said I'd have to get a waiver from my program saying that I am not required to graduate. Ugh. At least it's good they called, maybe they're considering me.... they could've just rejected me outright and never said why, right?

Yeah and the students that get in without a degree are usually financially disadvantaged and have stellar scores. So if you do have monetary difficulties, a 33+ MCAT, and a 3.8 g.p.a. then go for it.