Need a good GLYCOLYSIS mneumonic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AStudent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in need of a good one, don't care how dirty or corny...any help would be :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

AStudent said:
I'm in need of a good one, don't care how dirty or corny...any help would be :thumbup:

I don't know any, but I found that just tracing the pathway helped me memorize it since. I'm a visual learning, so arrows and the structure and the sheet of paper I wrote on got stuck in my head.

Reactions: 1 users
I got one for the substrates now, but it's not one that I would tell my mother :eek:

Now I need one for the enzymes.

gerido said:
I don't know any, but I found that just tracing the pathway helped me memorize it since. I'm a visual learning, so arrows and the structure and the sheet of paper I wrote on got stuck in my head.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry - mnemonics wouldn't have helped me. I did the write-the-whole-pathway-out about 100 times to get everything down - structures, names, enzymes, activators, inactivators, mechanisms, energy... It's just too much for a mnemonic, I think. Of course, if anyone HAS a mnemonic, I sure could've used it a year ago! :) :)

I posted the same thread title on another board....someone came up with this :laugh:

Substrates:
Gorgeous Girls *uck Fine Gentlemen Gently But Prohibit Penile Pooper Penetration

Enzymes:
Hot Poontang Practically Always Takes Great Patience Preparing Eventual Penetration

Reactions: 4 users
heh, just wait until you gotta memorize the citirc acid cycle later this week or next week.

Already have one for that (well, at least for the substrates)

mh2002ny said:
heh, just wait until you gotta memorize the citirc acid cycle later this week or next week.

If you know the substrates you should be able to figure out the enzyme names with little difficulty, I mean they're not exactly difficult or unrelated. I haven't studied biochem in years but I can remember the first few because I know the first few substrates.

AStudent said:

WTF is glycolysis??

Glu-GluP-FruP-diFruP-DAP-GHAP-DiPGA-PGA-PGA-PEP-Pyr

Pronounced and sung:

Glue-Gluhp-Fruhp-DieFruhp-Dap-Gap-DiePigga-Pigga-Pigga-Pep-Per

Reactions: 2 users
Why do you need a seperate one for the enzymes and substrates? If you know one, you know the other, right? I don't say this to be condescending. If you know one substrate, and the one that follows it, think of what type of enzyme will change it from step one to step two, and name it accordingly.

Reactions: 1 user
Who needs ot memorize this anyways? Wont be on the mcat like this. they may give you the pathway. I think i had to memorize it for my biochem exam but you really have a few steps to pay attention to. The first 3, substrate phosphorylation(i think that is what it was called). then the split step... then ignore the rest until the last 2 steps. Then u'r done!

know the regulation steps: ie first 3 and last one.

I'm not taking the MCAT, I start medical school this fall.

AxlxA said:
Who needs ot memorize this anyways? Wont be on the mcat like this.

Members don't see this ad :)
i posted the same thread title on another board....someone came up with this :laugh:

Substrates:
Gorgeous girls *uck fine gentlemen gently but prohibit penile pooper penetration

enzymes:
Hot poontang practically always takes great patience preparing eventual penetration

Thank you SDN.

if you think and study the chemistry, the names of the enzymes fall into the place. The only one that doesn't is pyruvate kinase, so all you have to do is study the exception.

I posted the same thread title on another board....someone came up with this :laugh:

Substrates:
Gorgeous Girls *uck Fine Gentlemen Gently But Prohibit Penile Pooper Penetration

Enzymes:
Hot Poontang Practically Always Takes Great Patience Preparing Eventual Penetration

Well played :clap::claps::clap::claps:.

Mnemonics for complex biochem pathways will be fun to know.

I always sucked at mnemonics. I either memorize the material straight out or it doesn't stick.

Goodness (Glucose)

Gracious, (Glucose-6-P)

Father (Fructose-6-P)

Franklin (Fructose-1,6-diP)

Did (Dihydroxyacetone-P)

Go (Glyceraldehyde-P)

By (1,3-Biphosphoglycerate)

Picking (3-phosphoglycerate)

Pumpkins (2-phosphoglycerate)

(to)

PrEPare (Phosphoenolpyruvate [PEP])

Pies (Pyruvate)

Goodness (Glucose)

Gracious, (Glucose-6-P)

Father (Fructose-6-P)

Franklin (Fructose-1,6-diP)

Did (Dihydroxyacetone-P)

Go (Glyceraldehyde-P)

By (1,3-Biphosphoglycerate)

Picking (3-phosphoglycerate)

Pumpkins (2-phosphoglycerate)

(to)

PrEPare (Phosphoenolpyruvate [PEP])

Pies (Pyruvate)

Usually, I would question bumps, but nice job. Awesome mnemonic.

If I recall correctly (it's been a few years), I remember always associating the "kinase" enzymes with an added phosphate group.....

Didn't notice how old the thread was.

Last edited:
For krebs/cac

Cock In Ass SayS F*** My Ovaries

Been using it since high school.

If I recall correctly (it's been a few years), I remember always associating the "kinase" enzymes with an added phosphate group.....

Slight misnomer - sometimes the forward reaction enzyme is named for the backwards one (like phosphoglycerate kinase). Go figure why they decided to make it even more confusing.

Substrates:

Enzymes:
Glu-GluP-FruP-diFruP-DAP-GHAP-DiPGA-PGA-PGA-PEP-Pyr

Pronounced and sung:

Glue-Gluhp-Fruhp-DieFruhp-Dap-Gap-DiePigga-Pigga-Pigga-Pep-Per
bruh

the necrobump...

lol this was a good one. didn't realize it was necro's until I reached the bottom..

It's so neat to see the statuses of these old members. Some are fellows, others are attendings.

We're all gunna make it. - Zyzz