Need a realistic advice about what to do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MyNameIsAlex

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm 22 in my 4th year of undergrad now... graduating in april or so... GPA
2.8-3.0 (upward trend, including scholarships for high GPA in the 3rd year and maybe this year... + 2 years part time work as a clinical research student during school and summer).

since my GPA is so low and i have none of the pre-reqs (computers major)... im debating whether i should spend this upcoming summer and f/w next year doing pre-reqs , at my local school here in canada, that has no post-bacc program...so ill be taking courses as a none degree student...competing with a bellcurve that doesnt allow more than 65% class average in all classes..... ... or go to some post-bacc in the states....? what do you guys think? and what post bacc would u recommend? (i prefer 1 year...unless its a 2 years masters that doesnt require mcat/or medpre-reqs).

Members don't see this ad.

its not realistic to do prereqs in a year! Chemistry is a four semester sequence in the States so you are looking at at least 16-18 months. Doing work in Canada only good if you can get above that curve! State schools will charge you out of state tuition? Look at AAMC's website for info. related to Canadian folks going to US medical schools.

MyNameIsAlex said:
I'm 22 in my 4th year of undergrad now... graduating in april or so... GPA
2.8-3.0 (upward trend, including scholarships for high GPA in the 3rd year and maybe this year... + 2 years part time work as a clinical research student during school and summer).

since my GPA is so low and i have none of the pre-reqs (computers major)... im debating whether i should spend this upcoming summer and f/w next year doing pre-reqs , at my local school here in canada, that has no post-bacc program...so ill be taking courses as a none degree student...competing with a bellcurve that doesnt allow more than 65% class average in all classes..... ... or go to some post-bacc in the states....? what do you guys think? and what post bacc would u recommend? (i prefer 1 year...unless its a 2 years masters that doesnt require mcat/or medpre-reqs).

consider yourself lucky if you have a low gpa and no prereqs done-- you're really in teh hole if you have prereqs done and they're bad grades.

it'll take you 2 years min to finish all of your prereqs. some of my friends have done 2 years of postbaccs while working in research part time. after that you could try applying (have to take the mcat too somewhere in there, no way around that one) to med school and see how you fair if your pre-reqs grades are really good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do medical schools consider community college grades that are science classes but not a prereq such as biochem, A & P etc.
scrubsRcomfy said:
consider yourself lucky if you have a low gpa and no prereqs done-- you're really in teh hole if you have prereqs done and they're bad grades.

it'll take you 2 years min to finish all of your prereqs. some of my friends have done 2 years of postbaccs while working in research part time. after that you could try applying (have to take the mcat too somewhere in there, no way around that one) to med school and see how you fair if your pre-reqs grades are really good.

Do medical schools consider community college grades that are science classes but not a prereq such as biochem, A & P etc.
scrubsRcomfy said:

Greenlady05 said:

Yes - anything in the categories of BCPM