Need advice-28O MCAT with a very low Verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calibrate

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I took the 4/28 MCAT and I got a 11PS/4VR/13BS (28O). I was averaging 8-9s on the verbal AAMC FL and English is my native language. I am also not a URM. I'm so annoyed bc I was planning on applying early this cycle to DO schools, however, I dont think I have a shot because of my VR score. I'm planning to retake in aug and I'm going to study my butt off for the verbal section. Is it advisable to apply early via aacomas with my current mcat score and planned retake? or should I retake mcat and wait for my new score to apply? are there any disadvantages to applying early with my score with a planned retake?

My stats (if needed) are
3.48 cGPA
3.45 sGPA
Shadowed two DOs and one MD
2 years of research
volunteered in the hospital

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Members don't see this ad.

Ouch, that verbal hurts, you did very well in the other sections. I am going to break the bad news that most schools will screen you out with that low of a subsection. I would contact some adcoms and get there opinion on it, that's probably your best bet. Either way that verbal score raises a red flag...

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the 4 is a bit of a red flag for you, but the regulars will be able to comment on it more. I do think, despite having the lower end of the stats for MD schools, if your MCAT went up (to say a 10 in VR) you'd have a lot more application leeway with both application systems (AACOMAS and AMCAS).

As it stands, I bet you'd get a few bites from DO schools, but definitely not as many as you deserve only d/t the MCAT VR of 4.

Thanks for the input. Do you think I should send in my app now and indicate that im planning to retake? or do you think that I should wait until I get my new score and then send in my app? The reason I asked this is that do you think my current scores will get me rejected before the retake scores come in? or does the adcoms hold your app until the retake score comes in?

Thanks for the input. Do you think I should send in my app now and indicate that im planning to retake? or do you think that I should wait until I get my new score and then send in my app? The reason I asked this is that do you think my current scores will get me rejected before the retake scores come in? or does the adcoms hold your app until the retake score comes in?
This is for MD, someone else can comment as to the DO process.

Apply to a single school now, indicating your re-take date. Schools won't review your application at all until all your scores are in, so if you have it indicated that you have a re-take pending, schools won't reject you. Submitting now allows your grades to be verified by AMCAS so you won't have to wait for your application to be verified after your scores are released. As soon as the new scores are released, you can add whatever school you want and they will be instantly sent your application.

You might want to wait until next year to apply if you can't get the MCAT in before Aug, as that puts you pretty late in the cycle by the time the scores are released. You also want to be sure you will do better on your re-take, or as sure as you possibly can be. :luck:

Same for DO. You may get some DO bites, but only from the newest schools with the lowest entrance numbers, and being that there is some controversy about them, you owe yourself more. You have an average gpa for DO school, so if you raised that verbal to an 8 or more, you would be a lock for the best DO schools and probably get into your state MD schools. Why go to a DO school that has controversy when a max of 3 months could get you into exponentially better schools.

Hi everyone,

I'm a long time lurker, new poster :). I received my MCAT mark yesterday. Applying to MD programs.

VR - 7
PS - 12
BIO - 10
WS - S
Overall: 29S

I am a Canadian student applying to US medical schools. My cGPA = 3.67, cGPA for years 2 - 4 is a 3.9. Science GPA = 3.5 (because of my first year grades), ignoring my first year grades it is a 3.91). I messed up in first year and showed a serious increase in my marks in second year. I completely English with a 4.0. So I know I can read haha.

I am currently in my Masters degree in medical education. I have strong references from professors, my supervisor (surgeon/PhD), another surgeon who I shadow in the operating room, clinic, etc.). I have ample leadership and clinical shadowing experience.

I really need some advice...Should I retake?

start your own thread.

apply to a random school to get verified so that when you retake the mcat, it will be the last thing needed to get your file reviewed by the schools. they wont look at it if they see that you are attempting the mcat again im pretty sure. retake the mcat b/c that 4 is atrocious and will get you put in the thanks but no thanks pile.