Need advice about a failed chem test.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

archer10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a psychology major sophomore with minors in biology and german language studies. I am on a pre-med track. I had a question regarding my midterm. Im embarrassed to talk about this but I need advice. I am taking general chemistry this semester and up till today I had a solid B+ average as my grade an A homework average. I took 3rd midterm today and I failed it thus dropping my average to a C+ average. Im really upset and scared. I know I shouldnt be basing my medical school hopes and future on this one test but I need to understand how to compose all of this. If I make a B or B+ average with the final because it counts as 35% of my grade, will medical schools be upset with this? I have a very high gpa but I took too many classes this semester and I very much regret it as my work load seem very unbearable. On both of my Bio intro classes I took last year I got A's so my strengths lie in bio and psych much more. But I do have Ecs such as I volunteer at a hospital and they give me a $1500 scholarship each semester. I have another side scholarship and I am a chair positon in a society. Im also part of the Model UN society at my school. i have done an internship before and in the winter, I will be completing my second shadowing opportunity this year in which I already have a letter of recommendation from the doctor in the first opportunity. I know this is just side crap to make me look good but Im really worried about my performance. I very much apologize if this is posted in the wrong part of the forum and I hope it gets relocated in the right place.

Thankyou,
Archer.

Members don't see this ad.

I took too many classes this semester and I very much regret it as my work load seem very unbearable. On both of my Bio intro classes I took last year I got A's so my strengths lie in bio and psych much more

What will ultimately determine your success or failure in your subsequent chemistry classes is how you rebound from this. If you want to continue to say my strengths just don't lie in chemistry, then you are creating a problem for yourself. If you assess why you did poorly and be honest with yourself rather than attributing it to factors you can't control, you will do better in the future.

Taking too many classes is not a good excuse either, because you didn't get a 'C' in all of those classes. Just chemistry. Think about why you got a 'C' in CHEMISTRY.

This grade is not going to kill your chances. But if you continue to pull those grades for whatever reason in your other chem courses you could run into some problems.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
What will ultimately determine your success or failure in your subsequent chemistry classes is how you rebound from this. If you want to continue to say my strengths just don't lie in chemistry, then you are creating a problem for yourself. If you asses why you did poorly and be honest with yourself rather than attributing it to factors you can't control, you will do better in the future.

Taking too many classes is not a good excuse either, because you didn't get a 'C' in all of those classes. Just chemistry. Think about why you got a 'C' in CHEMISTRY.

This grade is not going to kill your chances. But if you continue to pull those grades for whatever reason in your other chem courses you could run into some problems.

I know what happened to be honest because I've been thinking about this all day. It's the fact that I did not understand the last few chapters that were covered in the test. As well as I did not practice enough. Yes you are right, the whole overload of classes is not an excuse. I guess my deeper problem is my time management. In some parts of my life or semester, I get really great with time management and I'm able to do things on time. But I guess in some areas, I begin to "burn" out or die down. It's probably an external factor. I really want to understand how to manage my time in a consistent manner. It's been an issue I have and I'm very scared on its impact on my future in general. Part of the fault is listening to advisors (which is something I will never do again because next semester I chose a lighter load and no one is interfering about it). I am in need of probably to go to some sort of counselor or so for these time management issues. Problem is, and I swear to you this is what happens, I have back to back classes and in the spaces within the classes, I'm at the tutoring centers. So I guess I haven't even had the time to visit the counselor about my time management issues (the irony right?). I know if I had practiced some more practice tests or questions, I would have been able to pull off a better grade. I did well in my other two tests so I know I'm not dumb in chemistry because I did very well practice during those test times. It just boils down to the performance I gave on my last test. I'm hoping in the next weeks, I can be able to get back on my feet and look at my mistakes and what exactly I need to review. In fact, I'm not even going home for Thanksgiving break thanks to all the work and preparing I'm doing. But honestly I'm ok with that, as long as I prepare myself to stay focused, I'm good with skipping the break. Plus its quieter on campus when people are gone so I'm able to focus more.

but I took too many classes this semester and I very much regret it as my work load seem very unbearable

You need to rethink the minors. Why do them? It's ok to take a few classes for interest, but if fulfilling unnecessary minors are making your workload unmanageable, and your GPA takes a hit, then what have you gained?

Med schools don't care about minors or extra majors.

I'm doing those minors because first off, I am a psych major and a biology minor will not be an issue for my track because I'm already taking those classes anyway for my pre-med track. Second, I'm doing German because I've been studying it for 6 years now. I am at an intermediate level and my hopes to pursue my life in Germany is very big as I'm almost close to gaining an internship soon in Germany. So yes, those minors are important to me. They may not be important to Medical School, but they are important to my well being and that's what I need to pursue them first before committing to a one straight line to Medical School. Besides, the German minor does not hinder me from finishing anything. The German minor is only about 15 hours and they can be scattered around my semester. If I go to Germany, I am also able to finish about 6 hours of my minor as well. So its not a huge problem. Also, I'm not trying to boast anything over here, I am just stating the facts upon my decisions. Like this stuff is actually going on in my life lol.

Last edited:
In some parts of my life or semester, I get really great with time management and I'm able to do things on time. But I guess in some areas, I begin to "burn" out or die down. It's probably an external factor. I really want to understand how to manage my time in a consistent manner. It's been an issue I have and I'm very scared on its impact on my future in general.

Im exactly the same way, and I think its pretty common. Ive had two papers assigned for the past two weeks and I haven't even started yet. I work well under pressure or on time constraints. When I'm given a lot of time to do something I'm not very productive at all and just end up rushing at the end. Towards the end of semester I end up mentally checking out way early and putting everything off until finals week.

Reactions: 1 user
Im exactly the same way, and I think its pretty common. Ive had two papers assigned for the past two weeks and I haven't even started yet. I work well under pressure or on time constraints. When I'm given a lot of time to do something I'm not very productive at all and just end up rushing at the end.
It's like you know me bro lol. But in general, I really got to fix that. I'm well under pressure as I do my best during those times. I have no idea why. Some of the best essays I've written were due like in one day and I got 100s on them (and these were college essays like for major psych classes). I have no idea what's wrong with me lol. But I seriously have to fix that issue. Like seriously. Like probably next week lol when I visit that counselor's office.

Ive realized that motivation comes in phases. When it comes you have to just ride it out for as long as possible and take advantage of your productivity during those times, while trying to maintain through the drudgery if its not there.

Please please please do not take the following personally. I understand this is an internet forum and people write in a relaxed style.

However, your writing could stand some improvement. You will be writing all the time throughout your medical career.

It is likely beneficial for you to start writing in a more straight forward concise manner.

Anyway, don't stress! I failed a med school exam for God's sake! :p

It feels horrible now, but it will work out. Just keep focusing and really learn the material. You will be ok.

Last edited:
I take it you haven't read how other posters write their posts on this forum. I have been reading this forum for years (before I recently registered) and there is a handful of people on this forum that have bad grammar as well (by your standards of course). I usually don't write like this for any of my essays, because, as you have stated, this a forum and it provides a more relaxed writing environment. Also, keep in my mind that I'm writing my posts through my phone which messes up my writing through the autocorrect/crap that's built into the phone's system. But it's nothing personal though. I usually respond back to commentary. I am a debater so it explains most of my respoding behavior as well lol. But thanks for your advice!

Last edited:
In UG I aced the first Chem midterm. The second one I got complacent and bombed. I cut the crap and aced the final, scoring a 97 or some****.

Take this as a wake up call.

Hello,

I am a psychology major sophomore with minors in biology and german language studies. I am on a pre-med track. I had a question regarding my midterm. Im embarrassed to talk about this but I need advice. I am taking general chemistry this semester and up till today I had a solid B+ average as my grade an A homework average. I took 3rd midterm today and I failed it thus dropping my average to a C+ average. Im really upset and scared. I know I shouldnt be basing my medical school hopes and future on this one test but I need to understand how to compose all of this. If I make a B or B+ average with the final because it counts as 35% of my grade, will medical schools be upset with this? I have a very high gpa but I took too many classes this semester and I very much regret it as my work load seem very unbearable. On both of my Bio intro classes I took last year I got A's so my strengths lie in bio and psych much more. But I do have Ecs such as I volunteer at a hospital and they give me a $1500 scholarship each semester. I have another side scholarship and I am a chair positon in a society. Im also part of the Model UN society at my school. i have done an internship before and in the winter, I will be completing my second shadowing opportunity this year in which I already have a letter of recommendation from the doctor in the first opportunity. I know this is just side crap to make me look good but Im really worried about my performance. I very much apologize if this is posted in the wrong part of the forum and I hope it gets relocated in the right place.

Thankyou,
Archer.
So I'm in gen chem right now, it's taught pogol(group activity for lecture) at my school. I despise it. My knowledge of the chemistry is lacking even though i'm putting in work to study. No one at my school likes gen chem, even the chem majors! I have also had the thoughts, "Can i be a doctor even if I struggle in gen chem?" Yes, I imiagine many people are doctors who got B's in gen chem. It's a marathon not a race. I'm just trying to grind through it and block the memory of this class out of my mind. Hang in there, it's only for two semesters!

Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm in gen chem right now, it's taught pogol(group activity for lecture) at my school. I despise it. My knowledge of the chemistry is lacking even though i'm putting in work to study. No one at my school likes gen chem, even the chem majors! I have also had the thoughts, "Can i be a doctor even if I struggle in gen chem?" Yes, I imiagine many people are doctors who got B's in gen chem. It's a marathon not a race. I'm just trying to grind through it and block the memory of this class out of my mind. Hang in there, it's only for two semesters!

I understand everything you are going through. My university's department for chemistry and physics just plain SUCKS. I'm not kidding at all. The president of the university couldn't care less about these departments and only ONE chemistry professor is the best at our school. He's also the head top dean at our school and he's very well known around campus and my city. He's an amazing chemistry professor that I took for baby chemistry in the summer and I can't wait for his class next semester. Granted he is very hard, but I know it is for my well being. When people take his classes, they do fairly well in organic chemistry. But guess what? He's not allowed to teach Chem 1 because of a stupid department decision, so we have to endure professors who are obviously made only for research because they can't teach at all. I mean during every lecture you can feel how my current chem 1 professor is trying to act like he is presenting an amazing research study to us. I kid you not, 3/4 of our class are on their laptops either playing league, or watching anime, football, stupid videos, "redditing", or are doing homework for other classes. The rest of the 1/4 are sleeping lol. You would think that the people who sit in the first rows are the most committed to learning in the class, but they are part of the whole "ignoring the professor" procedure. So I know very well what you are saying. Don't get me started on the physics department. They are absolutely atrocious! I had to drop it last semester and the professor kept messing up between formulas and simple math concepts like the unit circle. It was a joke. My local community college, which is very good, offers better physics classes and I'm taking them during the next summer. But in regards to feeling like crap because of Chemistry 1, sometimes I feel the same way as well. I feel like if I don't know chemistry, then I suck in general in my pre-med track. Not saying it has gone away, but I guess I just need to accept its hard and I need to focus on getting a better grade on the final. In general, I wish I didn't overload myself this semester. It is a huge mistake and I will never repeat it again.

Last edited:
I take it you haven't read how other posters write their posts on this forum. I have been reading this forum for years (before I recently registered) and there is a handful of people on this forum that have bad grammar as well (by your standards of course). I usually don't write like this for any of my essays, because, as you have stated, this a forum and it provides a more relaxed writing environment. Also, keep in my mind that I'm writing my posts through my phone which messes up my writing through the autocorrect/crap that's built into the phone's system. But it's nothing personal though. I usually respond back to commentary. I am a debater so it explains most of my respoding behavior as well lol. But thanks for your advice!

Not just my standards...by standards of committees and program directors reading essays and personal statements and attendings reading H&Ps and progress notes.

But as long as it's just a forum thing, it's fine.

And no worries. Everyone on this forum is a debater! :p

Hello,

Thankyou,
Archer.

Ha, are you at U of H?

figure out why you got a C. try not to do it again. one C wont be the end!

Twist: he's the one watching anime playing League double queuing Hearthstone.

Twist: he's the one watching anime playing League double queuing Hearthstone.
Well if this is true, just know whenever he ends up dozing off and sleeping while his game is still running that I've taken 3 pictures of him and sent them to my close friend where we shared quite dandy laughing moments if I may say. ;)

How did you know? o_O
Was it from my description about the chemistry and physics department lol?

The timing of the third midterm, the final being worth 35%, and yeah, your comments on the chemistry and physics department echo a lot of other people's. I believe we have the same professor. :laugh: For me to do well on the exams I have to study the chapters really well, then I glance over the class notes (they don't help much, the class is basically self-taught lol), then I re-work the HW, then I work the review problems, and I try to take as many practice tests as I can (trade with friends). It's not an easy class, I feel your pain!

The timing of the third midterm, the final being worth 35%, and yeah, your comments on the chemistry and physics department echo a lot of other people's. I believe we have the same professor. :laugh: For me to do well on the exams I have to study the chapters really well, then I glance over the class notes (they don't help much, the class is basically self-taught lol), then I re-work the HW, then I work the review problems, and I try to take as many practice tests as I can (trade with friends). It's not an easy class, I feel your pain!
If you have any extra practice tests to lend me (beside the ONE AND ONLY practice test the department gives us), that would be really cool...just saying lol. I tried looking on coursehero for any of the practice tests for test 3 but couldnt find any :(.

Got a B in Chem I, C+ in an econ class (i was considering a minor in econ, then i failed the final badly and rethought how this minor would affect me overall)..have 5 II. You saw you werent prepared for your exam, so you know what went wrong. Just reshuffle your focus and learn what needs attention and when. I had many overwhelming semesters and theyre hard and they suck, but they teach you a lot. Just dont sweat this single grade, as it's a single grade. As long as it's not habitual, you'll move forward. Dont dwell! (It'll literally drag you down forever)