Need advice: Career Changer with md pre-reqs looking for programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psalm34

Reaction score
I am currently a senior at a university in Texas about to obtain a B.S. in Kinesiology. I intended to pursue a career as a physical therapist, however I have found that my heart is to pursue an M.D. or D.O. instead. Therefore, I have considered applying to a formal post-bacc program for career changers as I won't be able to complete the rest of the pre-reqs before I graduate which I would need to qualify for an SMP. I have completed most required pre-med courses within my degree except Organic Chemistry I & II with labs and would like to add other courses such as biochemistry, calculus and microbiology etc. to help prepare for medical school. However, I don't know if I want to enroll in a formal post bacc program or try to do DIY post bacc.

-I have research experience (two years)
- Little to no clinical experience (only for PT)
- no shadowing for MD

There are pros/cons for both, but what would you do in my shoes?? I'm trying to save money, yet be in a rigorous environment where I will have an opportunity to gain meaningful clinical experiences.

Members don't see this ad.

My opinion: get your shadowing and clinical experience in first. Get a job that uses your degree. Make sure you want to do this since you should do a DIY to complete your prerequisites for the least expensive route before deciding further.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Look closer at which schools may require calculus as a prereq. If you find not many or none of the schools you would apply to, I'd skip it. Not too much calc application to med school topics. Statistics is more applicable if you haven't taken it yet.

Reactions: 3 users
3.54 currently
A bit on the lower side for MD, but not out of the running. It also depends on you state of residence.

Goal #1 is to put food on the table.
Goal #2 is to build the case that MD/DO is what you want to do. For that you'll need shadowing. Clinical volunteering can also help here.
Goal #3 is to knock out remaining pre-reqs and prep for the MCAT. You'll need organic and biochem for sure. Agree with @Dral that calculus may not be needed. I also wouldn't waste time and money with cart-before-horse classes like microbiology.
Goal #4 is to round out your application. If you already have research then find a good service-oriented volunteering opportunity and start racking up hours.
Goal #5 is to nail the MCAT, but that's a problem for the future.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users