Need advice for USC pharmacy skool!!! Please!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lemmein!

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hihi, newbie here. PLus USC undergrad (junior)

I need advice on how to get into USC pharm: the only school i wanna attend!!!

How does retaking classes affect you? I got a C in a bioclass. ekke

my overal gpa is 3.2 again ekke! Ne advise on how i should go about applying. When ppl say, "take classes to bump up ur gpa," what types of classes are they talking about. and can it be from a jc?

Ne advise on how to score a internship in a pharmacy? I've been a string of pharm clinics in the alhambra/ garfield area already and no one's hiring or accepting!!!

Would a pharm tech license help my odds of geting into USC pharm?

Should i bother to apply to pharm this year?

Please enlighten me! :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Some advice, eh?

Proper spelling is a plus on applications.

is it too late for you to apply to the TAP program?
I would retake the classes you didn't do so well in to help your gpa.
There really isn't such a thing as a pharmacy internship as an undergrad...you should look into volunteering at a hospital or working retail or if you are short on time I highly recommend shadowing a pharmacist. OR if you have a lot of time...get your pharm tech license and work as a pharm tech...you would get more experience and have more responsbilities.

since you are an undergrad at USC, you should see if you can talk to a counselor there...i believe they give preference to their own students.

as far as if you should apply this year...I would do it if you are done with prereqs..It can't hurt you, but it will cost money. Worst case scenario is that you have to reapply next year and you lose money and time BUT you gain the experience of applying and wont have a problem for next year...

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with Bluhappy102 - if its not too late, you should apply to TAP (its a life saviour)! However, they have a unit limit so, if you are over it its too late:

"USC undergraduates may also apply to the Trojan Admission Pre-Pharmacy program after completing 32-48 semester units at USC. Transfer students and students with more than 48 semester units of pre-pharmacy courses will not be eligible. A minimum cumulative 3.2 GPA, TAP Program interview and TAP program essay are required for admission."

If you plan on talking to a counselor - don't talk to the undergrad ones, they don't know much about pharm school (ironic, no? They concentrate their efforts on med and dental school instead). You should contact someone like the TAP advisor (Dona Christianson) or the pharm recruitment coordinator (Cristina Arteaga).

BTW, I think where you're looking for a job isn't a good idea.. my friend tried to get a job in a pharmacy in alhambra a year ago (on garfield where there is about 15 independent pharmacies in 3 blocks :laugh: ) but had no luck either - I just don't think they have the need or the means to hire when theres an independent pharmacy on every corner - I suggest you look outside of that area to have better luck!

Good lucks! :thumbup:

Start mowing Stan Louie's lawn for free...offer him and his wife weekly car washing and waxing for free.. and promise him that you'll take his rotation when no one else will.

you'll get in.

ZpackSux said:
Start mowing Stan Louie's lawn for free...offer him and his wife weekly car washing and waxing for free.. and promise him that you'll take his rotation when no one else will.

you'll get in.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

ZpackSux said:

you'll get in.

Hmmm who is this Stan Louie? What else can we get by doing those things? :D

ilovepharmacy said:
Hmmm who is this Stan Louie? What else can we get by doing those things? :D
I'm assuming he's a professor Zpack (USC alumni) knows :D

rxgal8 said:
I'm assuming he's a professor Zpack (USC alumni) knows :D
He teaches Immunology second year and couple of lectures first year....

ZpackSux said:

you'll get in.

Was that how you got in? :laugh: