Need advice on applying for 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

optlev15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! So here's a little bit of a backstory. I initially was intending to take a year off, but decided to give it a go and apply for 2016. Due to this last minute decision, I only allotted myself 2 weeks to study for the OAT (I know bad idea). I ended up getting a 270 aa and 240 ts. However, I do have a 3.3 gpa and I have tons of shadowing experience (4years worth) and job experience (2years worth). I intended to do better on my OAT, but clearly 2 weeks to study is not enough. Do you think that if I apply to any schools that there is a chance that I could get in? If not, can I also get advice on how to better my application for when applications open in July! Thanks so much in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm obviously not part of an admissions committee, but I think you need to get a higher score on your OAT to get into optometry school.

I think you should wait to apply until July. I would doubt that you are a competitive applicant at this point in the application cycle. I think you should save the money you would spend on applying this cycle and put that money towards studying for the OAT again. If you study and you do well enough (If I were you, I'd aim for a 320 or higher), I'm sure you will get in to at least one school come next application cycle.

Your experience sounds like it is top notch -- lots of time and I am assuming that it can only help you. However, since there's a cutoff for minimum scores, etc... I think your OAT might be a little below that minimum cutoff. If you just take the OAT again, do well on it, I am sure you will get interviews. Once you get the interviews, I'm sure schools will be eager to hear about your experience(s) -- and I am sure that you will shine for that part of the application process!

All the best!

I'm obviously not part of an admissions committee, but I think you need to get a higher score on your OAT to get into optometry school.

I think you should wait to apply until July. I would doubt that you are a competitive applicant at this point in the application cycle. I think you should save the money you would spend on applying this cycle and put that money towards studying for the OAT again. If you study and you do well enough (If I were you, I'd aim for a 320 or higher), I'm sure you will get in to at least one school come next application cycle.

Your experience sounds like it is top notch -- lots of time and I am assuming that it can only help you. However, since there's a cutoff for minimum scores, etc... I think your OAT might be a little below that minimum cutoff. If you just take the OAT again, do well on it, I am sure you will get interviews. Once you get the interviews, I'm sure schools will be eager to hear about your experience(s) -- and I am sure that you will shine for that part of the application process!

All the best!

Hey! Thanks for replying! I agree with you that I'm definitely not a competitive applicant right now due to the OAT scores. I heard some schools will hold on to your application if they like you and request you to do the OAT again. Therefore, I may still apply for a couple school whose application deadlines are a little later on. My whole plan was to take a year off anyways, so even if I don't get in I won't be upset! But might as well see if there's a chance! :)

If I don't get in I'll definitely write the OAT again. This was my first time and part of the reason for the low scores is that I never timed myself studying, so I ran out of time each section.

Thanks so much again!!

Hey! Thanks for replying! I agree with you that I'm definitely not a competitive applicant right now due to the OAT scores. I heard some schools will hold on to your application if they like you and request you to do the OAT again. Therefore, I may still apply for a couple school whose application deadlines are a little later on. My whole plan was to take a year off anyways, so even if I don't get in I won't be upset! But might as well see if there's a chance! :)

If I don't get in I'll definitely write the OAT again. This was my first time and part of the reason for the low scores is that I never timed myself studying, so I ran out of time each section.

Thanks so much again!!
I hate to say this, but I will anyways - Do not apply with those scores, you will get rejected considering this is quite late in the application cycle. Save your money and take your time to study and apply in July. Improve your score and try to to get at least 300 and you will have a better shot at getting some interviews and possibly get into a school. Good luck...