Need Advice Volunteer/Work Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MtbABQ31

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am quite excited to get into Med School.

I start my biology pre-reqs in the fall and I know I need to get a good MCAT score. However, I was looking at other things included in your application such as volunteer or work experience, preferably in healthcare. I currently am a medical social worker (by the time I apply to med school, I'll have about 3 years of experience in medical SW). This was also the driving force in my interest in medical school. I am a non-traditional student, will be 35 in time to have everything complete and have my masters in social work. I was wondering if this would be sufficient enough for that section or if I should also be looking into volunteer experience.

Thanks so much! I appreciate any feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You definitely need more than just one work/volunteer experience. No matter how important and substantial it feels to you, your application will feel VERY bare if this is the case. So, you have a great start, but you need to fill it up. Volunteer at a community free clinic, shadow some of the doctor's you've met through your current job, there's tons of things you could be doing. You're just about to start your pre-reqs, so you've got plenty of time. Also be trying to make the connections to eventually ask for letters of recommendation.

Working in the field will help you, but doesn't replace volunteer work or shadowing in the slightest. Volunteer with something you love and can speak to, whether it's in healthcare or not. This will allow you to write and or answer questions about it in essays/interviews from a much stronger position. And shadowing is an absolute must as well, being in healthcare for work doesn't count. They want you to be directly shadowing a physician - this comes up all the time with nurses or other providers that are career changing, and even if you've been a PA or nurse or whatever, they expect shadowing a MD/DO