Need advice with asking for LOR - graduated 4 year ago.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xioian

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am planning to apply this cycle. My undergraduate cGPA and sGPA are OK (both around 3.5), and my DAT scores are above average. My current issue is asking for LOR when I graduated from undergraduate 4 years ago, and unfortunately my #1 school is asking for 3 letters from faculty. While I was decently active in class, I do not think that my professors will really remember me. Based on what I've seen online, I think my best course of action is to email them, remind them that I was a past student, that I plan to apply to dental school, and ask if they could write me a LOR. I'll offer to provide them with my resume, transcript, and personal statement to help them write the LOR, and even offer to meet them first. Does this sound like a good plan? My worry with this is that I'll be ghosted, just because it's been so long. Worst case scenario, could I take 1 semester of 4-5 science courses this Fall, get LOR from those professors, then apply next cycle? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Also, to anyone looking to avoid my situation in the future: my biggest regret is not asking for a LOR at the time and having those letters saved in Interfolio, which AADSAS uses. My advice to you is ask for a LOR from the professor soon after you complete their course. Have them sent their LOR to Interfolio, where it will be saved indefinitely. When you are ready to apply, reach out to them and send them their own LOR, politely ask them to update the date and maybe even update the contents of the letter with your updated resume or transcript. Then, have them sent the updated letter back to Interfolio where you can later use it with AADSAS.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It's too bad you didn't learn this earlier. The plan seems appropriate. Do your best in reaching out to those professors. I presume there is no prehealth office?

You can ask that school of they would consider your situation being so far removed from school...

Reactions: 1 user