need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amxanx

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone...need some advice. I'm have been very interested in anesthesiology since the start of medical school. I graduated from a US med school last year and did not match because I failed Step 2. I retook Step 2 and got >200 on second attempt. My Step 1 is not so hot (<200 but passed on first attempt). I'm currently applying for a primary care speciality but my passion is anesthesia. Is it really over for me? Is there anything I can do during residency to switch and get a spot in anesthesia or even do a second residency? I really love this field and I know that this is for me.

I would appreciate it if some advice could be posted or you can PM me instead.

Members don't see this ad.

did you reapply this year as a CA1? Are there any openings at your current program? a second residency is a bad option as i think you can be paid for only a few years and if a program wants to hire you into a second residency your salary would have to come out of their pockets. If you have only completed an intern year now is the time...i think it might be harder later as you might run of years that won't have to come out of the programs pocket. best of luck