Need An Answer Quick

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Member1121

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all, I'm hoping someone can provide some info on this small issue that I have run across. While studying for the DA section I find myself missing questions regarding contact areas so I have been looking online and in the Review Books for a definite answer, but I keep getting different answers from different sources. Here is what I'm confused on:

Max and Mand Mesial and Distal Contact Points:

First Aid says:
MAX Central M: incisal 1/3 D: Junction
MAX Lateral M: Junction D: Middle 1/3
MAX Canine M: Junction D: Middle 1/3
MAX All Posterior M: Middle 1/3 D: Middle 1/3 (except 3rd molar, obviously)

MAN Central M: Incisal 1/3 D: Incisal 1/3
MAN Lateral M: Incisal 1/3 D: Incisal 1/3
MAN Canine M: Incisal 1/3 D: Middle 1/3
MAN All Posterior M: Middle 1/3 D: Middle 1/3 (except 3rd molar)

NOW....here is what the Kaplan DentEssentials is saying:
MAX: this book is consistent with the First Aid for the Maxillary Arch
MAN: consistant with First Aid for Central, Lateral, 1PM, and 2 Molar
MAN 2PM M: Junction D: Junction
MAN 1 Molar M: Junction D: Middle 1/3

It seems like a small problem, but when I have been taking tests (particularly the "Crack the Boards" the questions that I am asked about contact areas are always related to the Mandibular 2nd Premolar or 1st Molar. I have been selecting the answer based on the First Aid book, since it is easier to remember (all posterior teeth mesial and distal contacts are in the middle 1/3). However, I am getting these marked against me. Does anyone have a suggestion? Anyone who has taken the exam know if this is likely a question we will be asked? If so, what would be your answer?

Thanks in advance!