Need An Answer Quick

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Member1121

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm hoping someone can provide some info on this small issue that I have run across. While studying for the DA section I find myself missing questions regarding contact areas so I have been looking online and in the Review Books for a definite answer, but I keep getting different answers from different sources. Here is what I'm confused on:

Max and Mand Mesial and Distal Contact Points:

First Aid says:
MAX Central M: incisal 1/3 D: Junction
MAX Lateral M: Junction D: Middle 1/3
MAX Canine M: Junction D: Middle 1/3
MAX All Posterior M: Middle 1/3 D: Middle 1/3 (except 3rd molar, obviously)

MAN Central M: Incisal 1/3 D: Incisal 1/3
MAN Lateral M: Incisal 1/3 D: Incisal 1/3
MAN Canine M: Incisal 1/3 D: Middle 1/3
MAN All Posterior M: Middle 1/3 D: Middle 1/3 (except 3rd molar)

NOW....here is what the Kaplan DentEssentials is saying:
MAX: this book is consistent with the First Aid for the Maxillary Arch
MAN: consistant with First Aid for Central, Lateral, 1PM, and 2 Molar
MAN 2PM M: Junction D: Junction
MAN 1 Molar M: Junction D: Middle 1/3

It seems like a small problem, but when I have been taking tests (particularly the "Crack the Boards" the questions that I am asked about contact areas are always related to the Mandibular 2nd Premolar or 1st Molar. I have been selecting the answer based on the First Aid book, since it is easier to remember (all posterior teeth mesial and distal contacts are in the middle 1/3). However, I am getting these marked against me. Does anyone have a suggestion? Anyone who has taken the exam know if this is likely a question we will be asked? If so, what would be your answer?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.