Need for Derm & Ophtho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Primate

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone has info or opinions on the need, current and projected as I'm ~6 years from finishing residency, for dermatologists and ophthalmologists in the services. I asked my NAVY recruiter and his response was something like, "Yeah, we need those kinds of docs. Hundreds of them. Tomorrow . . . no, TODAY! Come on in....." Honestly, he's been great but doesn't have much info on this.

OphthoMudPhud has previously posted that neuro-optho and ophtho-path will be needed in the NAVY in the next 5-10 years (if I recall correctly).

Anyone have additional gouge on these 2 specialties?

V/r
Primate

Members don't see this ad.

You will not get into either of those specialties until you have completed some time as a GMO or flight surgeon.

The need for specialty physicians are predicted annually. They don't project out much further than that. Never believe the recruiter when he tells you anything otherwise. The truth is that his only mission is to get you into the system. He has no interest in getting you the residency that you want.

Understood.

I should have been more clear (forgot my audience was mostly going to do med school / residency IN the service). I'm not eligible to enter the medical corps until after I finish med school and, as I'm initially interested in the ready reserve, 1-2 years of residency (depending on state licensure reqs) - at least in the NAVY. I'm not sure about other services, yet.

So, more to the point, does anyone know about the need (current, if not future) for these specialties, rather than the ability to land a residency in one (which I'll hopefully do on the outside)? I'd like more to know how likely it'd be to get billeted as a derm or ophtho after already starting that training (rather than a GMO - which wouldn't be making full use one's training). Ophtho in the NAVY is do-able, but not sure about other services or derm.

'Course, completing some time as a FS wouldn't be so bad. Just gotta sell that one to the boss (aka the wife, who's been listening to FS talk for the past 7 years of med school!).

Thanks for any info / opinions.

V/r
P