Need Help and Suggestions!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. McPanda

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.85 cGPA
3.79 BCPM GPA
502 MCAT: 128/121/125/128

What are my chances? And will need help coming up with a school list, current list below. Should I retake MCAT July 22? Planning on applying Fall 2017 Admissions & looking to submitting AMCAS apps first/second week of June (1-2 weeks). Already filled out most of AMCAS & started AACOMAS.
Traditional student.
VA Resident
~500 Hours Shadowing: Vascular surgery, general surgery, bariatric, nephrology, Family med/Primary Care, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Internal Medicine, Urology, Interventional Radiology, and Anesthesiology.
~500 Hours paid clinical hours: Worked on a pre/post-op floor. Did IVs, phlebotomy, patient care etc.. CNA Licensed.
~500 Hours community service: ~300 hours hospital volunteer ED department. ~215 hours in community/neighborhoods.
~115 Hours Research: Genetic analysis on linkages with substance abuse.
~>2000 Hours of religious work: prayer leader and attendance of ceremonies.
Held 10-12 leadership positions throughout undergrad experience. 2-4 of those experiences have been long term and I still continue to partake in them.
Attended 3-4 conferences: presented at a national conference for Residential Life and Housing.
Was recognized and awarded a full-year tuition at May 2016 Commencement for my scholastic achievements, strong leadership, and my service to the university and community at large [Will graduate Spring 2017]

First-gen American and first in my family to attend college.

Current school list:
EVMS
VCU
UVA
VT
Drexel
Penn State
Temple
UPitt
Sidney Kimmel (TJ)
NY Medical College
Albert Einstein
Albany
Georgetown
George Washington
Howard
UW
Vermont
Mayo
Rush
+5-7 D.Os

Members don't see this ad.

You can remove Pitt, Einstein and Mayo which are unrealistic with your MCAT. For MD schools you could add:
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin
Your best chances are the DO schools so apply to at least 8. Include the ones in your area such as CUSOM, VCOM (all 3 schools), WVSOM, UP-KYCOM, PCOM.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your Feedback @Faha! Do you suggest a retake july 22nd? I have the summer to devote to studying and I will be able to raise my MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bump once again!

Current List MD:
EVMS
VCU
UVA
VT
Drexel
Penn State
Temple
Sidney Kimmel (TJ)
NY Medical College
Albany
Georgetown
George Washington
Howard
UW
Vermont
Mayo (just because)
Rush
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Rosalind Franklin

Current List DO:
LMU -TN
LECOM-PA
PCOM-PA
Campbell- NC
TouroCOM-NY
VCOM-VA
WVSOM-WV
UP-KYCOM-KY
NY Institude-NY

Total: 30 schools. 21 MD, 9DO

I am thinking of adding a couple more MDs suggestions please?

*Update: Planning on retaking MCAT July 22. Aiming for a 508+ and an improved CARS section. Will be and currently trying to study daily (8-10 hours).

A retake may help you, especially if you can raise it to 508 or higher.

Just out of curiosity, are you saying 508 because of a certain percentile? Or because it was the equivalent of a 30 on the old exam?

If the latter, I believe 507 is a 30 on the new exam now.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app