Need help! CHANCES

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SU_PREMED_1994

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys so I have a friend and he was just wondering where to apply as MD or DO he has given me a list of his accomplishments:

Stats:
3.55 cgpa, 3.4 sgpa
Biology major at a liberal arts university

EC's on campus:
President of religious club
President of pre med club
Treasurer for a biological honor society
Club basketball player and coordinator
Medical brigadier to Honduras 2 years
Atlantis project to Europe to shadow physicians
Went to New Orleans to fix houses due to Katrina one week every year for 2 years

EC off campus:
Volunteer at ER for 500+ hours
Shadowed a Johns Hopkins fellow 100 hours
Volunteered 152 at a hospital in High school
300 hours of misc. community service

MCAT was a 32!

Guys I would appreciate a list of schools to apply to, so I can help him out. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You can get into some MD's with those stats, and you will be fine for any DO school. I would apply to public instate MD, maybe a couple OOS that I thought might take me (look at Florida for instance, those stats are competitive for an OOS here at UCF,FAU, UM, FIU, USF (select track), but the interview will be later. He can apply any DO you like. Look up each DO school to see which ones you think you would like best. For me, I didn't apply to any schools that were outside of driving range (was about 14 hours max for me). I did make one exception for a school I liked, but I think your friend will have good luck locally anyhow. Go on as many interviews as you can. The more you have, the more you realize what you want in a program. Took me a good 4 or 5 interviews to figure out what I really thought was important. Good luck.

Oh and make the app have a good story. People really underestimate the value of a app having a good story.

Great so do you think the EC and the mcats make up for the low gpa? Or is the gpa fairly good

Members don't see this ad :)
If he applies to about 15-20 schools do you think he will get acceptex? And I mean do programs. Btw thank you for your insight

Great so do you think the EC and the mcats make up for the low gpa? Or is the gpa fairly good
GPA is below average for MD but above most schools 10 percentile of 3.3-3.4. A 3.5 is admissible (especially instate). And I am of the opinion that at most schools, the MCAT counts more, although both are important. Tell your friend to pay $25 for the MSAR, or at least download the LizzyM spreadsheet. You can also goto each schools website. Honestly with a 32, and a 3.5 I don't know that he really needs to apply DO. I am not discouraging, but I think if he puts a little time into making a list, and gets the MSAR, he will find that his stats are good enough to open the doors at many low-end or even some middle tier MD schools (especially public instate schools!).

Well the only instate schools are Georgetown U of Maryland school or medicine and Johns Hopkins. Do you think these stats are good for the schools? I feel like they are a bit low

But MD is a good shot and DO is just a back up. He believes in rural medicine too so i told him DO is better because they use cost effective ways for treatment.

If he applies to about 15-20 schools do you think he will get acceptex? And I mean do programs. Btw thank you for your insight
Lol yes, he will probably get accepted to half of them if he isn't a complete weirdo or jerk. And the ones that reject will probably be doing it cause hes too competitive and they don't believe he'll come.

You want a DO list, here:
Nova,
Rowan,
MSU (super expensive OOS)
TCOM (only take 10% OOS, but with a 3.5 and a 32 he would have a great chance, plus if he can switch to instate after a year its 13k IS, and only 30 OOS)
CCOM
DMU
PCOM (Philly)

Someone else will remember the other high tier, but those are the schools I can think of off the top of my head that he wouldn't be 'too competitive for.'

Well the only instate schools are Georgetown U of Maryland school or medicine and Johns Hopkins. Do you think these stats are good for the schools? I feel like they are a bit low

Some nearby states might also consider him instate. Your correct he is not competitive for John Hopkins. He has a chance at Georgetown tho: Median GPA 3.7, Median MCAT 32

He needs a MSAR, look it up and get it. At least download the LizzyM sheet.

Dude thank you for the help let me get the msar if he gets in to Georgetown than he would be he happiest guy on earth

But MD is a good shot and DO is just a back up. He believes in rural medicine too so i told him DO is better because they use cost effective ways for treatment.
I think you need to apply DO if you really believe that (and conversely believe that MD's don't use cost effective ways for treatment). DO's are into rural medicine at almost every school. But so are many MD schools. I don't think that's a reason to pick one over the other.

Dude thank you for the help let me get the msar if he gets in to Georgetown than he would be he happiest guy on earth
I am not making any guarantees or promises, I am just saying hes is admissible. Unfortunately for him, Georgetown is private, so his instate status probably doesn't matter that much. But he is still far above their 10 percentile of 3.3 and 29 on the MCAT. I would say if he had a decent story, he has a decent shot. That said, he should look into OOS friendly schools.
He is alittle weak for University of Maryland, but with the instate bias, he might get an interview.
Research really helps at MD schools btw. If he doesn't have it, he should try and get some.

Last edited:
Georgetown also gets 12k+ applications so don't hold your breath for even an interview. Your best path to medicine is DO.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

He is alittle weak for University of Maryland, but with the instate bias, he might get an interview.
Research really helps at MD schools btw. If he doesn't have it, he should try and get some.
Maryland is one of the few states with a medical school where IS chances (13.5%) are even less than CA (14.7%)!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Georgetown also gets 12k+ applications so don't hold your breath for even an interview. Your best path to medicine is DO.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2
If by best, you mean easiest, then I agree. But I am certain that with a 3.5 and a 32, he could get into a Allopathic program if he wanted too, maybe not instate, but somewhere. There are plenty of private schools, and even lower tier state schools in the South that he would be competitive for, even as an OOS.

If location is a preference at all, I think that DO will be easier to get a particular location (as he will be accepted to many of them with his focus and stats), but if he wants MD, I think hes competitive.
Maryland is one of the few states with a medical school where IS chances (13.5%) are even less than CA (14.7%)!
University of Maryland, however, take 80% instate
"Do you give preference to in-state applicants in the selection process?
Yes, we do give preference to Maryland residents. However, non-residents are strongly encouraged to apply. A significant number of non-resident applicants are invited to interview and are accepted each year. The average ratio for our freshmen class is 80% Maryland residents and 20% non-residents."

http://medschool.umaryland.edu/admissions/faq.asp#5

University of Maryland, however, take 80% instate
"Do you give preference to in-state applicants in the selection process?
Yes, we do give preference to Maryland residents. However, non-residents are strongly encouraged to apply. A significant number of non-resident applicants are invited to interview and are accepted each year. The average ratio for our freshmen class is 80% Maryland residents and 20% non-residents."
Sadly for OP, successful MD applicants tend to have somewhat better metrics.

Thanks for the insight for he information. Now it's a gpa with retaken classes! So I believe md averages your grades this bringing the gpa down. I appreciate the replies and help and I will forward this information. I think u of Maryland has a average gpa of 3.7~. Would the do programs in New York and Chicago accept the person with these stats?

Thanks for the insight for he information. Now it's a gpa with retaken classes! So I believe md averages your grades this bringing the gpa down. I appreciate the replies and help and I will forward this information. I think u of Maryland has a average gpa of 3.7~. Would the do programs in New York and Chicago accept the person with these stats?
OH, that changes everything. Yeah, he needs to figure out which DO school he likes best.

I guess follow up: How many retakes are we talking about? If the GPA goes below 3.4 with retakes averaged instead of replaced, he is gonna be DOA at most Allopathic and you can ignore the MD advice on this thread. I am sorry, I didn't know about the retakes earlier. His GPA really needs to be 3.55 averaged to have a shot at U of Maryland, I think that is officially off the table now.

Last edited:
Invest in MSAR Online and target schools whose median stats are closest to your own.

And target any of the DO schools. Suggest stating with next door PCOM, LECOM, WVSOM and VCOM.

Hey guys so I have a friend and he was just wondering where to apply as MD or DO he has given me a list of his accomplishments:

Stats:
3.55 cgpa, 3.4 sgpa
Biology major at a liberal arts university

EC's on campus:
President of religious club
President of pre med club
Treasurer for a biological honor society
Club basketball player and coordinator
Medical brigadier to Honduras 2 years
Atlantis project to Europe to shadow physicians
Went to New Orleans to fix houses due to Katrina one week every year for 2 years

EC off campus:
Volunteer at ER for 500+ hours
Shadowed a Johns Hopkins fellow 100 hours
Volunteered 152 at a hospital in High school
300 hours of misc. community service

MCAT was a 32!

Guys I would appreciate a list of schools to apply to, so I can help him out. Thank you!