Need help editing list - cGPA 3.47 / sGPA 3.43 (rising trend) / 518 MCAT (any & all suggestions appreciated!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1fleetwoodmac3

Reaction score
Background: Female/CA resident

MCAT: 518 (130/130/128/130)

cGPA: 3.47 strong upward trend - first 2 years averaged a 2.75 (due to personal health issues) and last 3 years averaged a 3.85 with a 4.0 in my final 3 semesters
sGPA: 3.43

ECs:

Research/lab
- 2 years (400 hours) and co-author on an abstract

Community service/volunteer - medical/clinical:
- Hospice volunteer (150 hours - ongoing)

Community service/volunteer - not medical/clinical:
- Peer-note taker (180 hours)
- Camp counselor for a Jewish community center (480 hours)

Leadership
- First-year life sciences seminar leader (50 hours)

Paid employment - medical/clinical
- Caregiver (60 hours)
- New job as a full time caregiver at a memory care facility (beginning next week)
- Standardized patient/ultrasound model at UCI medical school (200 hours - ongoing)

Physician shadowing/clinical observation
- Rheumatologist (50 hours)
- Orthopedic surgery (20 hours)

Paid employment - not medical/clinical
- Sever/barista while in undergrad (1000 hours)
- Server/barista during the summer between each school year (600 hours)

Any & all help is appreciated! Attempted to make a preliminary list but am a little lost on how to effectively use MSAR due to the fact that my GPA and MCAT are so disparate:

Far reaches:
Kaiser
Emory
BU
UCI
UC San Diego

Reaches:
UCLA
USC Keck
Albert Einstein
Dartmouth
Tufts

Target:
Wisconsin
USF
Penn State
George Washington
Wake Forest
Georgetown
Frank H. Netter
Rosalind Franklin
U of Miami

Safety:
Loyola University Chicago
UC Davis
Lewis Katz
California University
Drexel
UVM
Tulane
Virginia Tech

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There are no safety schools for CA applicants. Virginia Tech is a reach since they have a small class with a regional preference. I suggest these schools with your stats:
The UCs
USC Keck
Kaiser
California University
TCU-UNT
Tulane
Miami
USF Morsani
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Einstein
Albany
Vermont
Tufts
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There are no safety schools for CA applicants. Virginia Tech is a reach since they have a small class with a regional preference. I suggest these schools with your stats:
The UCs
USC Keck
Kaiser
California University
TCU-UNT
Tulane
Miami
USF Morsani
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Einstein
Albany
Vermont
Tufts
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Western Michigan
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Thank you so much for your help! I will be sure to remove Virginia Tech from my list. Would you recommend I allocate the majority of my far reaches/reaches to CA schools and remove schools like BU and Emory?

Your application is well rounded activities wise. Your MCAT is excellent and should help your relatively weak GPA (be sure to highlight your awesome positive trend).

In terms of school lists, Faha has given a bunch that are great options. Of all of your original schools, make sure your GPA is above the 10th percentile (especially for those reaches). Otherwise apply broadly (at least 30 schools) and good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you so much for your help! I will be sure to remove Virginia Tech from my list. Would you recommend I allocate the majority of my far reaches/reaches to CA schools and remove schools like BU and Emory?
Yes, just keep the CA schools as your reaches.

Reactions: 1 user
The UCs
USC Keck
Kaiser
California University
TCU-UNT
Tulane
Miami
USF Morsani
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Einstein
Albany
Vermont
Tufts
Quinnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Western Michigan
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
I agree with the wise Faha, except for the FL schools. U Miami and NovaMD will still be OK. Add Hofstra, Pitt and Sinai.

IF you get no love by Oct or Nov, add some DO schools

Your application is well rounded activities wise. Your MCAT is excellent and should help your relatively weak GPA (be sure to highlight your awesome positive trend).

In terms of school lists, Faha has given a bunch that are great options. Of all of your original schools, make sure your GPA is above the 10th percentile (especially for those reaches). Otherwise apply broadly (at least 30 schools) and good luck.
Thank you very much for the support & advice!

I agree with the wise Faha, except for the FL schools. U Miami and NovaMD will still be OK. Add Hofstra, Pitt and Sinai.

IF you get no love by Oct or Nov, add some DO schools
I will add those schools now and definitely heed your advice in regards to DO schools. Thank you so much for the advice!

Reactions: 1 user