Need Help Finding Animal Experience other than Small !

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aelet17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All!

I am a recent graduate trying to gain experience before applications are due. I have been working at a small animal clinic for almost 4 months now but I know most Veterinary schools are looking for a broad range of experience. So, I am really looking for experience with Large, Wild, Farm, or Exotic animals to have the best chance of being accepted. I am currently in Mississippi but I find it very difficult to gain experience here. I have been in Ms all throughout my undergraduate coursework and, only recently, found an opportunity to gain experience with small animals.
Thus, I am starting to search for experience outside of Ms. I have plenty of family all throughout Nc and have some very good friends in Dallas, Tx. So, I am hoping to find experience in or near those areas.

Does anyone know of Veterinarians, really anywhere, openly welcoming people to come and gain experience or looking for help? I am a natural born traveler: I wouldn't mind at all traveling for experience opportunities (paid or unpaid).
A while ago, I was on this website for internships for Pre-vet students which gave a list of opportunities which told you whether or not housing etc was included. Does anyone know of any opportunities such as this also?

Furthermore, do you have any tips on how to study for the GRE? I'm retaking it soon.

Members don't see this ad.

Where in NC? I know a LA clinic in Asheboro area that will let you ride along, but it is unpaid and no housing.

Where in NC? I know a LA clinic in Asheboro area that will let you ride along, but it is unpaid and no housing.
I have family in Raleigh, Clayton, Fayetteville, and Mt. Airy towards Virginia. I don't mind traveling an hour or so to get there a couple times a week. Do you know the name of it? I looked up the distance from Raleigh and Asheboro isn't that far so housing and pay wouldn't be a problem. Do you know if they will let me do anything?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, PM me and I'll give you deets. It might be too far though. The LA vets in NC are a friendly bunch, so cold calling may be an option especially when they don't have to pay you :)

If you have animals (even if they're small) ask your vets either to shadow them or who they would recommend you shadow in other fields. I asked my SA vet about exotic opportunities where I'm from and she happily gave me the details. Dallas is a huge metropolis so I imagine that there's lots of clinics there, but I definitely recommend mapping out where they are versus where you're staying. I would definitely try a Google search and then calling clinics there if you can. I hope this helps!