Need Help! Frantic and scared

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

summersbro

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've made a grave mistake by applying for this 2015 cycle late and now I'm paying the price for being so anxious.

I officially turned in my application on November 21
It was mailed from ADEA AADSAS on December 29
and I paid the applications fees on the January 6

My total gpa is 3.7 and science is 3.71
DAT is 26

What do you think are my chances of getting into Dental school?
I just need either some reassurance or someone telling me straight up that I'm not gonna get in.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have a chance of getting in. You have a strong DAT and GPA so you should get in somewhere. However, since you do have such a late mail out date, you probably won't have much of a choice for which dental school you will attend. It's highly likely that your top choice has already filled up their class and you won't get in there. Just hold on tight, because you might not get an interview invite until a few weeks from now because that's when your application will probably be reviewed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Applied to:
University of the Pacific Dugoni
Tufts
USC
UCLA
Western
NYU

Haven't heard back from any but i just called Dugoni, and Tori told me that the interviews for the class are all sent out. So all of the interviews sent out now are for the waitlist, can anyone confirm this?

Yes I'm a california resident, does it make it worse that i am?

Ohhhh okay,
I just don't know what to do anymore and i feel pretty helpless. Do you have any advice for what i can do like email the admissions officer and explain my situation?

Nothing really. You could do letter of interests, however people have mixed opinions on doing this. Some people think it doesn't do anything, but it doesn't hurt to try right? I think NYU is pretty big on them so do one for them.

Just what the name of it implies, a letting showing interest in their program. Look on the school's website to see the things that interest you in their program and make sure to include that in the letter. Also if you have the money to spend, I would send ur application to MWU-AZ (I don't know their deadline, so make sure to check that out first). They're REALLY fast at reviewing applications, but they are a pricey institute so make sure to keep that in mind.

Reactions: 1 user
Just what the name of it implies, a letting showing interest in their program. Look on the school's website to see the things that interest you in their program and make sure to include that in the letter. Also if you have the money to spend, I would send ur application to MWU-AZ (I don't know their deadline, so make sure to check that out first). They're REALLY fast at reviewing applications, but they are a pricey institute so make sure to keep that in mind.

So are NYU and USC, so I think he already accepted that. MWU-AZ would be a good addition.

Just wait till next year. Work some and gain perspective so that you realize that it isn't the end of the world if you don't get in.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just wait till next year. Work some and gain perspective so that you realize that it isn't the end of the world if you don't get in.

I agree with this. Take a year off, make some money. There's no reason for you yo go to a $450k+ school with stats like those.

I just don't know what to do anymore and i feel pretty helpless. Do you have any advice for what i can do like email the admissions officer and explain my situation?
You wish to tell them that 6 months is barely enough time to submit an application?

I know that, but i was just wondering why he would say that and include "with my stats"

I agree with this. Take a year off, make some money. There's no reason for you yo go to a $450k+ school with stats like those.

I know that, but i was just wondering why he would say that and include "with my stats"

Private schools tend to be more expensive than state schools. Due to their lower cost of attendance, state schools are often the preferred choice in a list of potential dental schools (for many applicants who care about cost).

By telling you that there is no need for you to go to a $450k+ school with stats like yours, @BrazilianRider is giving you a compliment by saying that your amazing stats will merit you a position in a state school that costs much less than a private school, and therefore will save you years of loan repayment.

Reactions: 1 user
Dude, even if you DO get in to any of the schools (other than UCLA), just wait until next cycle. If I were in your shoes, I would decline any interview invite that came my way. Next cycle is around the corner anyway (little more than 4 months away), and you have great stats that can probably get you into either UCLA or UCSF, which are wayyy cheaper options than any of the other private schools you listed.

You can't undo a mistake. I don't know how new letters work in terms of applying again, but even if you had to run around to get new letters of rec, that will be worth the trouble when you're saving 100K down the road.

Reactions: 2 users
Dude, even if you DO get in to any of the schools (other than UCLA), just wait until next cycle. If I were in your shoes, I would decline any interview invite that came my way. Next cycle is around the corner anyway (little more than 4 months away), and you have great stats that can probably get you into either UCLA or UCSF, which are wayyy cheaper options than any of the other private schools you listed.

You can't undo a mistake. I don't know how new letters work in terms of applying again, but even if you had to run around to get new letters of rec, that will be worth the trouble when you're saving 100K down the road.
Yeah but OP would lose out on a year's salary and wasted a year of his life...

Yeah but OP would lose out on a year's salary and wasted a year of his life...

I can't find a specific thread (as this topic has been addressed across many threads), but someone has already compared going to UoP and graduating in 3 years + 1 year salary as an associate VS going to a state school that is significantly cheaper, and I believe the conclusion was that going to the cheaper school would pay off in the end due to the capitalizing interest on the loans. I'm not a number cruncher, so I can't provide solid numbers. Even the number "100K" was just something I threw out there. The extra cost of attending a private school can be anything from 0K to 150K depending on the OP's circumstances.

(Actually, I found a post: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/need-help-uf-vs-uop.888939/#post-12120854)

And the year off does not necessarily have to be wasted. Lots of people can take the year off to grow as a person or do the things they enjoy. I may be jumping to conclusions here (and OP can correct me), but judging by the very late submission of OP's application, I take it that this was their first time applying. Taking a year off, working, doing what they have been doing all along, etc. can be beneficial for the soul and mind (as cheesy as that may sound). And again, whether or not getting another year off is a good thing also depends on OP's situation.

No judging here! :p Just giving my own personal advice and opinion on what I would do in their situation.

Reactions: 2 users
Applied to:
University of the Pacific Dugoni
Tufts
USC
UCLA
Western
NYU

Haven't heard back from any but i just called Dugoni, and Tori told me that the interviews for the class are all sent out. So all of the interviews sent out now are for the waitlist, can anyone confirm this?

yes its true. Western is almost out as well. i have interview for the last day of their interview season which is on Feb 13th. i think they have filled it up, maybe couple more left. your best shot is UCLA since their cycle starts late already. close to half the class was open as of 15 days go.