Need help making school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Foehn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Should be posted in WAMC. Also, pick up the MSAR!

3.9+ sGPA and cGPA, 31 with at least 10 in each section, Florida resident. I applied during the 2013 cycle to only Florida schools, waitlisted at 3. 2 LOR are very good, 1 is good, and I assume the 2 science ones are very okay. Lots of shadowing, some volunteering. Tutored biochemistry, 3 years of research. I applied extremely early. I have no idea what schools to apply to oos. I have msar for mcat reference but other than that it's hard to keep checking every school that fits my mcat for their oos acceptance rate. I would appreciate some school suggestions that are oos. I would probably prefer something east coast but beggars can't be choosers. I'll apply everywhere that I'm likely to get in but would like to narrow it down since app fees would be crazy if I did that.

I had a 3.7/30 MCAT and got no invite from any FL schools (im instate).

I swear FL must be getting more competitive with OOS tuition prices rising maybe?

Members don't see this ad :)
3.9+ sGPA and cGPA, 31 with at least 10 in each section, Florida resident. I applied during the 2013 cycle to only Florida schools, waitlisted at 3. 2 LOR are very good, 1 is good, and I assume the 2 science ones are very okay. Lots of shadowing, some volunteering. Tutored biochemistry, 3 years of research. I applied extremely early. I have no idea what schools to apply to oos. I have msar for mcat reference but other than that it's hard to keep checking every school that fits my mcat for their oos acceptance rate. I would appreciate some school suggestions that are oos. I would probably prefer something east coast but beggars can't be choosers. I'll apply everywhere that I'm likely to get in but would like to narrow it down since app fees would be crazy if I did that.
Hopefully, your application will have improved since you last applied.

Here are some schools that suit your stats (listed from more to less selective) from the Eastern half of the US, that have a decent OOS matriculation rate (at least 15% by my definition). Check them for mission and prerequisites to be sure they're suitable:

Emory, Ohio State, BU, UMinn,
Rochester, MCW, Einstein, SUNY Downstate, UMaryland, UConn, Stony Brook,
UWisc, Rush, Tufts, Cincinnati, Jefferson,Virginia Tech (newer, research focus), Temple, Albany,
Toledo, Wake, LSU-NO, NYMC, Vermont, Hofstra (newer)
Wayne, Wright, Drexel, Tulane, MSU (high OOS tuition), Oakland (newer in MI), Penn State (requires a research thesis),
VCU, Louisville, Buffalo,
EVMS, RFU, Cooper (new)
Quinnipiac (CT-new, unknown goal for OOSers, but check it out)

Some volunteering needs to change to lots of volunteering

Catalystik - thanks for the list! I will definitely look into those schools.

It's unfortunate that FL schools have gotten so competitive. I really wanted to stay instate, not just for tuition purposes either (although that definitely is an incentive). I do have only myself to blame though since I didn't apply OOS, and even then I'm not sure if I would have gotten accepted.

I think it's also important to take into account what each medical school in Florida looks for. I took a quick look at UF's and FSU's mission statement and they are completely different. UF is research-based where as FSU is focused very much on rural health and producing primary care physicians who will practice in Florida.

Make sure your activities/PS/etc is consistent with each schools' goals :)