Need help picking schools.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

masterwares

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So the time has come for me to pick medical schools to apply to. I have come up with a preliminary list with the intent to apply broadly to 20 schools around the Maryland area. My top choice is the Univ of Maryland Baltimore, but I am open to other schools in the area around Maryland.

I will be applying to both MD and DO schools.

Stats:
3.54 cumulative GPA
Biochemistry and Molecular Bio major
Graduating from a top science university in the area.
26O MCAT

-----------------------------------
I am looking at the following schools:
My aim is to apply to around 20 schools.
My application is really really heavily weighted towards extracurriculars and research.

DC = Howard, UHUHS, Georgetown
Maryland = UMaryland-Baltimore, Hopkins, George Washington
Pennsylvania = Lake Erie COM, PennMed, Philadelphia COM, Temple, uPittMed, Jefferson
Virginia = EVMS, UVa, VCU, Edward Via COM,
North Carolina = Brody, Campbell U COM, Duke, UNC, Wake Forest,

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What is your ethnicity (URM or not)?

I would take Duke, UNC, and WF out. The lowest of them (UNC) has a median MCAT of 33. Your MCAT is too low to wast money on those schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just don't write your PS in comic sans.

:thumbup:

But seriously here are some schools around that general area:

-Johns Hopkins
-Georgetown
-University of Maryland
-University of Virginia
-Jefferson Medical College
-University of Pennsylvania

Some of them seem like a long shot for someone with a 3.54 GPA.

Why is your MCAT score 260?
Do you mean 26.0?

What is your ethnicity (URM or not)?

I would take Duke, UNC, and WF out. The lowest of them (UNC) has a median MCAT of 33. Your MCAT is too low to wast money on those schools.

I was thinking of that too; I see all of these super high MCAT schools and I'm hoping that I get to be one of those people who get in with a score below the median.

:thumbup:

But seriously here are some schools around that general area:

-Johns Hopkins
-Georgetown
-University of Maryland
-University of Virginia
-Jefferson Medical College
-University of Pennsylvania

Some of them seem like a long shot for someone with a 3.54 GPA.

Why is your MCAT score 260?
Do you mean 26.0?

Thanks. I already listed those schools above. The MCAT score is 26o. Like o for the writing section.

I'm surprised people even think you have a shot at MD with a 3.5 and 26..... especially since you're ORM and are applying to top tiers and schools that have tons of applicants.... have you thought at retaking the mcat? If not, I think applying MD is a waste of time/money.

Sorry for grammar mistakes. Sent from kindle.

I'm surprised people even think you have a shot at MD with a 3.5 and 26..... especially since you're ORM and are applying to top tiers and schools that have tons of applicants.... have you thought at retaking the mcat? If not, I think applying MD is a waste of time/money.

Sorry for grammar mistakes. Sent from kindle.

Lots of forum users on here have said that they received acceptances with my scores, so I am positive. You should check out the other forum threads on here.

I should've been a little more clear. Perhaps people have gotten MD acceptances, however I think the schools you're applying to are too high of tiers... schools will first and foremost look at your gpa and test scores and if they don't meet or come close to their standards, I don't think ECs will make up for it. Unless there is something really over the top... for example, duke, upenn, Hopkins? I just couldn't imagine. I would look more at your state schools or just lower tiers in general. A 26 is just too low for schools like the three I mentioned. This is just my opinion based on the average stats of these schools and what I've read on sdn. Now I'm sure it would be different if you could really pull up that mcat. Why not give it another try?

With all this being said, I hope it works out regardless of what you do. Just giving my opinion.

EDIT: maybe the half million fundraising will really draw people in. Especially if you lead the whole operation. But still, I don't know if these top tiers will be convinced you can handle the rigors of med school compared to the other applications who will have significantly higher grades and scores.

Sorry for grammar errors. Sent from kindle.

I should've been a little more clear. Perhaps people have gotten MD acceptances, however I think the schools you're applying to are too high of tiers... schools will first and foremost look at your gpa and test scores and if they don't meet or come close to their standards, I don't think ECs will make up for it. Unless there is something really over the top... for example, duke, upenn, Hopkins? I just couldn't imagine. I would look more at your state schools or just lower tiers in general. A 26 is just too low for schools like the three I mentioned. This is just my opinion based on the average stats of these schools and what I've read on sdn. Now I'm sure it would be different if you could really pull up that mcat. Why not give it another try?

With all this being said, I hope it works out regardless of what you do. Just giving my opinion.

EDIT: maybe the half million fundraising will really draw people in. Especially if you lead the whole operation. But still, I don't know if these top tiers will be convinced you can handle the rigors of med school compared to the other applications who will have significantly higher grades and scores.

Sorry for grammar errors. Sent from kindle.

Oh ok yeah now it makes more sense. Thanks. Yeah I was also thinking of removing the top ones as well, but I took the MCAT twice, the second time was more recent with the removal of the essay section and I got a 25, when I was getting 33's on the practice exams. I don't know if not having the essay re-calibrated the scores or what?

Oh ok yeah now it makes more sense. Thanks. Yeah I was also thinking of removing the top ones as well, but I took the MCAT twice, the second time was more recent with the removal of the essay section and I got a 25, when I was getting 33's on the practice exams. I don't know if not having the essay re-calibrated the scores or what?

You should've mentioned this. Some schools only look at the most recent, some the highest, some take an average. Regardless, if you're going to apply to any MD I think they should lower tier. I think those ECs might catch some attention as long as you don't get prescreened. Also, perhaps you should really look into why you're not performing better on the mcat if you're getting 33 on practices....

Members don't see this ad :)
You should've mentioned this. Some schools only look at the most recent, some the highest, some take an average. Regardless, if you're going to apply to any MD I think they should lower tier. I think those ECs might catch some attention as long as you don't get prescreened. Also, perhaps you should really look into why you're not performing better on the mcat if you're getting 33 on practices....

Yeah...I don't know why. I actually felt a lot better coming out of the test the second time.

26 is getting you nowhere with MD schools.

Okay chances at some of the DO schools listed. Slimmer chances at PCOM, too many applicants there. Check out LMU-DCOM as well?

26 is getting you nowhere with MD schools.

Okay chances at some of the DO schools listed. Slimmer chances at PCOM, too many applicants there. Check out LMU-DCOM as well?

Guess I could take the MCAT one more time at the end of June? That would give me a month to study again...

Your chances are pretty solid to get into a DO schools somewhere with a 26. If you really want a DO school vaguely in your region you'll need to apply to all of them essentially. Chances are best at VCOM, LMU-DCOM, LECOM Erie and Seton Hill, VCOM-CC, and CUSOM. Chances not so awesome but still possible at PCOM and UMDNJ-SOM. Maybe try NYCOM and Touro-NY as well.

Chances at MD seems very slim indeed. Some of your current list of MD schools are huge reaches. If you really want an MD a retake is probably required.

Your chances are pretty solid to get into a DO schools somewhere with a 26. If you really want a DO school vaguely in your region you'll need to apply to all of them essentially. Chances are best at VCOM, LMU-DCOM, LECOM Erie and Seton Hill, VCOM-CC, and CUSOM. Chances not so awesome but still possible at PCOM and UMDNJ-SOM. Maybe try NYCOM and Touro-NY as well.

Chances at MD seems very slim indeed. Some of your current list of MD schools are huge reaches. If you really want an MD a retake is probably required.

Thanks for a more positive post...

VCOM is in the area I would be looking to, so I will add that. LECOM is also on my list. PCOM is where I was hoping to get into, and I will add UMDNJ as well.

You are a good applicant for DO schools and can be confident in getting in somewhere if you apply broadly. PCOM is certainly possible but they get a ton of applications so it is kind of a crapshoot in that regard. I don't think you should be negative about your cycle by any stretch, you will be starting med school in 1.5 years time in my opinion.

You are a good applicant for DO schools and can be confident in getting in somewhere if you apply broadly. PCOM is certainly possible but they get a ton of applications so it is kind of a crapshoot in that regard. I don't think you should be negative about your cycle by any stretch, you will be starting med school in 1.5 years time in my opinion.

Thanks. I know I am definitely ok for DO schools, but even so my top choice was UMaryland, which is an MD school. I am thinking that I will retake the MCAT in July and apply in June. That way I can study for a month in the summer.

Thanks. I know I am definitely ok for DO schools, but even so my top choice was UMaryland, which is an MD school. I am thinking that I will retake the MCAT in July and apply in June. That way I can study for a month in the summer.
Your MCAT is well below the 10th% for the U of Maryland and unfortunately your gpa is also well below the matriculant average (3.8).

It would be wise to broaden your sights even if you re-take the MCAT.

Your MCAT is well below the 10th% for the U of Maryland and unfortunately your gpa is also well below the matriculant average (3.8).

It would be wise to broaden your sights even if you re-take the MCAT.

I was under the impression that medical schools looked at more than just GPA and MCAT. What happened to being "well-rounded"?

I was under the impression that medical schools looked at more than just GPA and MCAT. What happened to being "well-rounded"?
An applicant's other attributes are important as well, but their numerical stats allow us to compare them to their peers on more objective criteria. You will always be screened to some degree based on these numbers. I would be disingenuous not to note it.

Last edited by a moderator:

There are enough "well rounded" applicants with >3.6 GPAs and >30 MCATs. You have to be exceptional with a 3.5 and 26.

I'm going to update this thread once the cycle is over in April. Currently applying.