WAMC/Please help me pick schools to apply to!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jadeonyx

Reaction score
State/Country of Residence: Pennsylvania(live here currently)

Ties to Other States: New Jersey(grew up there for entire life)

URM: Yes, black woman

Year in School: graduated May 2022

Undergrad Major: Stem Cell Biology

Graduate Degrees: n/a

Cumulative GPA: 3.65

Science GPA: 3.6

MCAT: 507(retaking though, hoping for 510+)

Research Experience: ~5000 hrs, over couple of years and diff labs- 2 regenerative bio labs and a neuro lab(post-bacc program that I’m currently in)

Publications: two abstracts and posters at national conferences, 2 confirmed co-author publications, likely 1 more, and possible first author publication by time of matriculation(2024)

Clinical Experience: ~150 hrs currently, as patient greeter in medical office but likely more by matriculation(hospital volunteering)

Physician Shadowing: ~160hrs by application, many more by matriculation, neurosurgeon and orthopedic surgeon

Non clinical volunteer: homeless shelter ~50hrs, animal shelter ~100hrs currently, but by application close to 200hrs

Other Extracurricular: D1 recruited Athlete for 4 year/captained the team my senior season, started racial justice coalition for my athletic conference to raise awareness on a national level, part of my dorm’s homecoming committee(planned events and formals for my dorm), representative for athlete-doctor mentorship program at my school for my team

Other Employment: worked as kid’s sports camp counselors during my college summers for multiple years, worked a work study job as lab assistant in regen bio lab for a year, worked as a sports event coordinator for a year

Immediate members of family in medicine: Y, mom is an ob/gyn

Speciality of Interest: Ortho or Cardio(personal family ties)

Interest in primary care: N

Interest in rural care: N

Medical School List: I literally don’t know, plz help

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Also, very prestigious undergrad if it makes any difference(I’m assuming no though?)

You d not need to retake your MCAT of 507 I suggest these schools with your stats:
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA Drew
Charles Drew
Rutgers (both schools)
Rowan
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Einstein
Mount Sinai
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Wake Forest
Emory
Miami
Tulane
TCU
St. Louis
Medical College Wisconsin
Indiana
Oakland Beaumont
Cincinnati

How are you doing with your postbac?

Balance your time with the homeless shelter with the animal shelter (so at least get 50+ hours more) or add something that also addresses human suffering and need (food distribution, job search resources, housing rehab).

If you feel comfortable, apply to the program(s) where your mother attended school, residency, or other professional training. Leverage any networking with the NMA if you haven't done so.