Need Help Plz!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Person3

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had applied in 2005 and got interviews from some schools but was not able to get into as I was placed in alternate list. Then, I gave up on being a dentist and got a job in financial industry that I am still engaged in. However, I want to try once more to get into dental school. I dont know what I have to start off with first. Can anyone please give me an advise?
I really appreciate it.

Major in Accounting, took all pre-requisite science classes mostly b/w 2001 to 2004
C.GPA: 3.23 Sicence GPA : around 3.4

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure you need to re-take all the prerequisites and the DAT. So it'll be a long time commitment and you should be willing to apply more than once.

It seems that it really takes long time to take all pre-requisites as many years as 3 years. Must I retake all the pre-requisites? I am so hopeless now....=(

Members don't see this ad :)
Dont think so....call each school of interest, I think all you have to do is take the DAT, If you score well, you will prove yourself knowledgeable in those pre-reqs! GL

You can do it in two (i did). You wont need to take anything but the science classes.

First year:
Summer Session I: General Chem 1 and lab
Summer Session II: General Chem 2 with lab
Fall: Biology I with lab
Biology II with lab
Organic Chem with lab
Spring: Organic Chem II with lab
Genetics with lab
Ecology
Scientific Writing (needed this for second BS degree)

Second tear
Apply for dental school (end of May)
then take DAT (took sometime in June)
Summer Session I: Anatomy and Physiology I and lab
Summer Session II: Anatomy and Physiology II and lab
Fall: Cell biology and lab
Animal Physiology and lab
Neuroscience I
Biochem I
Spring: Medical Bacteriology and lab (I wanted Immunology and lab, but it was full)
Biochem II
Neuroscience II
Histology

Call individual schools to find out what their time limitations are for science coursework. Some may need you to retake coursework while other might not. If you don't want to retake classes, just don't apply to those schools. If you retake the classes, realize how long a haul you are in for and what you finish with in the end. If you start now and finish in 2 years and also apply in just one year with only half your pre-reqs completed, you graduate in 6-7 years with your DDS/DMD and, unless you choose a military, health service corp, or just luck out with scholarships or outside financial sponsorship, an average of $200,000 - $300,000 of student loan debt (in today's dollars and not adjusted for inflation and/or a yearly tuition cost increase at whatever school you go to).