Need Help Trim List 3.39, 32

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theguardsman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
One thing I would do to trim your list is to see if you'd enjoy living in those cities. Example: creighton is essentially in the middle of nowhere if you're used to living in suburbs/urban areas.

Also, get the MSAR and trim out schools with a low number of out of state acceptances

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been using the MSAR already, is fewer than 20% OOS a good cut off to not apply or should it be more/less?

Be aware that if you apply to UMKC you would have to apply by August and classes start in January. Not sure why they do it that way, but they do. Also dump UW, you'll likely get screened out with your stats as an oos applicant.

I'll take a stab - just give my two cents. Bolded to scrap
  1. Frank Netter
  2. Cooper Rowan
  3. Hofstra
  4. Rosalind Franklin
  5. Marshall
  6. Eastern Virginia
  7. UIC
  8. Virginia Commonwealth
  9. Tulane (if you want to stay on the east coast?...)
  10. Commonwealth PA
  11. Drexel
  12. Penn State
  13. NY Medical
  14. Vermont
  15. Wake Forest
  16. George Washington (low yield)
  17. Albany
  18. Temple
  19. Jefferson
  20. Tufts
  21. Rush
  22. Loyola
  23. UMASS
  24. Georgetown (low yield, high stats)
  25. MC Wisconsin
  26. Einstein
  27. BU (low yield, but you might have luck)
  28. Missouri KC
  29. VTech
  30. Creighton
  31. Florida Atlantic
  32. U of Az Phoenix (see tulane)
  33. U of Az tucson (see tulane)
  34. UWashington (Not WWAMI, like gyngyn said)
  35. Wright State
  36. South Carolina Greenville ($107k per yr OOS cost... how much do you really like SC?)
  37. Oakland William Beaumont

Definitely agree with what others have said. First determine where you think you'd be happy to live at for 4 years - don't just make your list based on gpa and mcat. just things i've been told already

One thing I would do to trim your list is to see if you'd enjoy living in those cities. Example: creighton is essentially in the middle of nowhere if you're used to living in suburbs/urban areas.

Omaha is FAR from the most "middle of nowhere" city on that list.

Reactions: 1 user
Overall a very solid list in addition to what's said above I'd also look at maybe scratching wright state and commonwealth

Your best bet is to talk to your pre med advisor and see how kids with your gpa did because if you went to a top 5-10 school you said you did like duke for example they will look at your transcript somewhat differently than most undergrad schools. Too how much a degree that's what your pre med advisor hopefully has experience dealing with and can answer and that will help you with your list

Omaha is FAR from the most "middle of nowhere" city on that list.

Haha really? I'm sorry for the misconception if that truly is the case. The pictures I saw on google looked *very* different from the suburbs I live in. Any other schools on that list you consider in the middle of nowhere?

Thank you all for the advice. I will definitely run through and see where I would want to live. I was hoping to see if anything popped up that I had not considered. I've been torn because my advisor always recommends fewer schools ("if 25 won't accepts you neither will 35") but I sometimes loose confidence in stats and feel like throwing on more schools..

Also can anyone think of schools that are focused on primary care/ working with underserved populations that are not on the list? That is a heavy focus of my app, so even if they are a far reach, I might consider it - that's why I want to apply to Einstein for example.

Haha really? I'm sorry for the misconception if that truly is the case. The pictures I saw on google looked *very* different from the suburbs I live in. Any other schools on that list you consider in the middle of nowhere?

Omaha has a population of over 400K...

The rest of Nebraska? Yep. Middle of nowhere.

Note: I live in rural Nebraska in the country (outside two villages of 700 or so people), so I'm allowed to call Nebraska the middle of nowhere. But guess what? I love it! GBR!