Need Help With Ranking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biahoz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please help me out with my rank list. Don't ask me how I feel about these programs. I just want to know how I should rank these programs based on how strong the programs are. Being a graduate of which program would get me the most respect and prepare me the best for a future in psychiatry?

1. University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
2. UT SouthWestern - Dallas *
3. Baylor - Houston *
4. Cleveland Clinic - (H1 visa) *
5. Case Western University Hospital - Cleveland
6. University of Massachusetts - Worcester
7. SUNY Upstate - Syracuse
8. Harvard South Shore - Brockton
9. University of Alabama - Birmingham

* I have a "slight" preference for warmer climate and an H1 visa (I'm a foreign medical graduate)

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Please help me out with my rank list. Don't ask me how I feel about these programs. I just want to know how I should rank these programs based on how strong the programs are. Being a graduate of which program would get me the most respect and prepare me the best for a future in psychiatry?

How do you define strength? Usually the more number of faculty in a program, the stronger the program should be. Because more people = more strength in a tug-of-war.

Respect from who? I know other psychiatrists are not going to respect you more simply because you're a graduate of a particular program, so perhaps you mean respect from layperson in social gatherings? Then, it would depend on where the social gathering is. So, if you know it's going to be in Alabama, rank UAB first and so on.

In terms of "preparing you best for a future in psychiatry," any one of the 200-odd psychiatry programs in the country would do. The biggest determining factor is what you put into the residency (some programs might hinder you from this goal, but nothing prepares you as well for a career in psychiatry as self-directed learning).

Post your question here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...k-order-list-and-help-me-rank-thread.1118244/ but add some real things you're looking for in your training rather than superfluous things like strength and perceived prestige.

Reactions: 1 users
I recommend you call each program and communicate your strong desire for prestige and respect and ask them what they can do for you to advance your career. This will help them place you on their rank lists, also.

Edit: I'm kidding. Don't do this.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users