NEED PRACTICE PASSAGES.... best option?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zhonghang

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have been studying for about a month using a mix of EK and TPR books. I've taken a couple practice tests and come to the conclusion that doing practice passages is MUCH MORE effective than reading content review books. Thus, I realize I need more practice passages to fill up my daily study schedule. I'm preparing to take the MCAT in the first week of May. I've already purchased the AAMC Q-packs and Section Bank but I'm planning on saving these for my last month of study (along with their two full lengths). Therefore, I need some practice passages that will last me all of February and March.

Here's what I'm currently considering: TBR Bio/Biochem & Chem/Phys books vs. Nextstep exams 1-6 vs. EK exams 1-4. I know TBR has a ton of passages in their content books but not sure if those passages are representative of the new style of the MCAT. I've heard good things about both EK and NS practice full lengths. If I purchased the EK or NS tests, I wouldn't complete them as a full length, but rather focus on one or two sections a day and complete one test in the span of a week or so (I have other full lengths to use as an actual 7.5 hour test day experience).

So does anyone have any good advice as to what would be better to use as daily practice passages? I know NS just recently revised their exams this past week (and just added a new exam) so it seems like they might be the most up-to-date with their materials. Also, you can get 6 tests from NS for a cheaper price than EK's 4 tests. But then again, EK has been around for much longer than NS and they seem like a more reliable option. Any thoughts or suggestions for best option from these two for practice passages? I really need something that will hold me over until April when I finally start using AAMC's practice Q-packs and Section Bank.

P.S. I recognize many people will most likely suggest using Khan Academy for passages. While these passages are free, I noticed they aren't the most representative of what the real thing will be like. That's why I'm asking about the three options above.

P.S.S. I realize at least one person is going to recommend that I look up mcatjelly's compilation of reviews of these materials. I've already done that and I'm looking for more up-to-date/recent reviews of these materials since the new MCAT has been administered several times this past year and many more people have taken it and used these materials since that compilation has been created.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So I have been studying for about a month using a mix of EK and TPR books. I've taken a couple practice tests and come to the conclusion that doing practice passages is MUCH MORE effective than reading content review books. Thus, I realize I need more practice passages to fill up my daily study schedule. I'm preparing to take the MCAT in the first week of May. I've already purchased the AAMC Q-packs and Section Bank but I'm planning on saving these for my last month of study (along with their two full lengths). Therefore, I need some practice passages that will last me all of February and March.

Here's what I'm currently considering: TBR Bio/Biochem & Chem/Phys books vs. Nextstep exams 1-6 vs. EK exams 1-4. I know TBR has a ton of passages in their content books but not sure if those passages are representative of the new style of the MCAT. I've heard good things about both EK and NS practice full lengths. If I purchased the EK or NS tests, I wouldn't complete them as a full length, but rather focus on one or two sections a day and complete one test in the span of a week or so (I have other full lengths to use as an actual 7.5 hour test day experience).

So does anyone have any good advice as to what would be better to use as daily practice passages? I know NS just recently revised their exams this past week (and just added a new exam) so it seems like they might be the most up-to-date with their materials. Also, you can get 6 tests from NS for a cheaper price than EK's 4 tests. But then again, EK has been around for much longer than NS and they seem like a more reliable option. Any thoughts or suggestions for best option from these two for practice passages? I really need something that will hold me over until April when I finally start using AAMC's practice Q-packs and Section Bank.

P.S. I recognize many people will most likely suggest using Khan Academy for passages. While these passages are free, I noticed they aren't the most representative of what the real thing will be like. That's why I'm asking about the three options above.

P.S.S. I realize at least one person is going to recommend that I look up mcatjelly's compilation of reviews of these materials. I've already done that and I'm looking for more up-to-date/recent reviews of these materials since the new MCAT has been administered several times this past year and many more people have taken it and used these materials since that compilation has been created.

Thanks!

Bump